“Could be So much Better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Omni King Edward Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Omni King Edward Hotel to your Saves list
The Omni King Edward Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1E9, Canada (Formerly Le Meridien King Edward) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Dining Credit
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Toronto
Oakville, Canada
“Could be So much Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this historic downtown hotel. It was our second stay at this hotel.
i had reserved on Priceline for a good rate. On arrival I inquired whether we would have a king-sized bed and was told no. I was then offered an upgrade to a "suite" for $75.00, which included a continental breakfast, and happy hour with snacks, wine and beer.
I could advantage of this and was shown to the room. The bellman dropped our luggage on the furniture at the end of the bed, without asking me. Our luggage had been pulled through muddy snow and now there was dirt and snow on the carpet, bed spread and furniture.
I spent the first half hour cleaning that.
My husband arrived about forty minutes later and was enjoying the view from our windows, which was beautiful. Unfortunately, he also noticed a rather large bug, belly up on the window sill.
The manager was very apologetic and competed us the extra charge. He also provided us with a bottle of wine and cheese plate.
This is a very old hotel-150 years, actually. The lobby is lovely, but the rooms really need work.
The lounge, where you eat breakfast is so depressing. It really needs a renovation.
Parking is also an issue here, at $45.00 per night.
I don't think we will return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear katherineincanada,

Thank you for providing us this feedback about your experience. We know you have numerous options to select from and we appreciate you choosing us for your travel needs. I apologize for some of the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and thank you for bringing them to our attention so we may address them. The hotel is 110 years old and now in the process of updating. It is my hope that when the renovation of guest rooms is completed you will return to stay with us again.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Jeff Waters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the King Edward Hotel on the weekend. We often stay in Toronto for a little break from our daily lives and we have stayed at this hotel before. We were given an upgraded room just because it was available and it was quite nice and very clean. The hotel is in such a great location for transportation, restaurants, entertainment and so much more. The staff are very friendly and accomadating.
Someone made a comment about the hotel being dated. That is what it is all about, a little history!

Room Tip: Higher floor, upgrade and end of hallway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RodRob55,

It is very rewarding to read a review like yours and we thank you for sharing this with us. We are delighted to have been able to provide you with a wonderful experience and grateful to have you as a repeat guest. Thank you for noting the wonderful history of the King Edward Hotel built to welcome guests to Toronto since 1903 and still doing so today. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife booked the ballroom and threw a little party for my 65th, along with 185 surprise guests, Beef Wellington, a beautiful buffet, wonderful bar and we stayed overnight in a lovely suite. She chose the King Edward from 15 interviews she held with different facilities -- and they did a spectacular job. I raved. She raved. Her guests raved. Ahh, that Beef Wellington and the the Potato Martinis !

Room Tip: Have a large dinner for 185 people!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Julian W,

Thank you for making us a part of your birthday celebration. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your special getaway and that we were able to make this occasion one to always remember. We greatly appreciate the feedback and wish you many more birthdays to celebrate.

We look forward to your return visit.

Saint Catharines, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here recently for a bachelor party for my brother in law recently. The hotel is beautiful on the inside, grand lobby and front desk staff was very helpful. They found a room with two beds available as my brother and I were sharing and definitely not sharing one bed! Rooms were huge, the only downside is that I did find the room decor a little dated and an awkward layout. The bathroom sink and toilet are in a separate room than the shower. The hotel is older so I just chalked it up to an older building style. Great service and put up with us ordering a late night pizza to the hotel!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are very large!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Matt S,

Thank you very much for the generous comments on your recent stay at The King Edward Hotel. I am delighted to learn that your overall experience was to your satisfaction leaving you with good memories and impressions. I hope you return to visit us again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel on two occasions. Once overnight and a period of one whole week. I got to see two different rooms. The lobby is nice, the concierge is great, the check in agents vary. Once you get to the floors to get to your room you see how old the hotel really is. It's kind of creepy, all the hallways looks the same and has old decor. I felt like I was in movie The Shining, like I said, creepy. The rooms are nothing spectacular. They are comfortable, you do get a fair bit of noise from your neighbors and the hallway. I experienced this with both rooms I stayed in. The spa is so so, the service is great but the facility needs to be renovated. The gym is great. I've stayed at different chains of the meridien and this was nothing special. If you can get it for a good rate then why not, but if you're looking to splurge and expect 4.5* you may not be happy.

• Stayed October 2012
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Formiga,

We value your comments and thank you for sharing your experience while a guest at The King Edward Hotel. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the less than enjoyable stay you had at our hotel. I assure you that guest room renovations are underway starting with the lower floors and I look forward to having you back especially when the project is completed for a new dimension of luxury and comfort. We will also pass your comments on to the third party spa operator. I am happy to note that you were satisfied with the service offered by our staff.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had a very nice stay at the King Eddy! All the staff throughout my stay were friendly and welcoming.As other reviewer mentioned, the bed's are very comfortable. The Sunday Brunch is not to be missed,the food and the restaurant were great !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Robert Y,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at The King Edward Hotel. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the excellent service provided by our friendly staff. The Sunday Brunch is one of the city’s best and we take pride in providing our guests the best dining experience. We appreciate your patronage and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We look forward to your return visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend went to Toronto to escape for the night and have a great time, when we arrived at the hotel we were immediatly greeted by the concierge at the door which made us feel more than welcome. The girl at the front desk was very polite, professional and has us checked in in no time. The room was beautiful and clean and I was very happy with the television in the bathroom mirror so I could watch the NFL playoffs while getting ready to go out. When we wanted to go for dinner I asked the lady at the concierge if she had any preferences and she mentiond several places that all sounded fantastic but the place we chose was amazing. The next day when we checked out the girl on the desk took no time looking after us and making sure we had a good stay. We needed to get to the ROM so I asked the concierge how to get there and they were spot on with directions. Overall it was the most pleasant experience I have ever had in a hotel and will be back next month for sure.

• Stayed January 2013
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mduckworth03,

Thank you for sharing a great review of your experience at The King Edward Hotel. It is such a delight to know that you had a wonderful time with us. We appreciate the recognition given to the members of our team who continue to go the extra mile to provide exceptional service to our guests.

We look forward to your next visit so we can continue to exceed your expectations and offer the royal treatment that you can typically expect from The King Edward Hotel.

Jeff Waters

Been to The Omni King Edward Hotel? Share your experiences!