“Beautiful architecture and good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Omni King Edward Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Omni King Edward Hotel to your Saves list
The Omni King Edward Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1E9, Canada (Formerly Le Meridien King Edward) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Dining Credit
Ranked #16 of 141 hotels in Toronto
NB, Canada
“Beautiful architecture and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Every single staff member at this hotel was courteous and helpful from check-in to check-out. They seem to be imbued with pride at working in such a beautiful hotel. The lobby is breathtaking, even with the renovations currently happening, and my guest rooms was comfortable and elegantly furnished, The bathroom appeared to be spotless and had excellent amenities (though the sink was cracked).

The Consort Bar is furnished like an old library and serves a great gin and tonic! Breakfast was good.The guest rooms do not have coffee making facilities; however, there is complimentary coffee in the lobby until 11 am--unfortunately, this is not well advertised, and I discovered it to my chagrin only after I'd bought [bad] coffee from the Tim's across the road.

I did have persistent problems with the lock on my guest room door. Although the front desk issued new key cards to me several times, I had to seek help from the concierge on three occasions. This is a beautiful old hotel, but--as you would expect from a building this age--the walls are thin.

Room Tip: Don't forget the free coffee in the morning!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Dalry,
Thank you for taking the time to post comments regarding your experiences here at The King Edward Hotel. Although I was pleased to read that your stay was satisfactory, I am sorry that there was a problem with your room keys. Please know that we are continually working to improve hotel services and to provide our customers with a problem free stay.
Thank you for staying at The King Edward Hotel.

1,200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This beautiful hotel in the heart of the city allows you to access Toronto's elegant past with modern amenities. The service was outstanding performed by real people, not customer service automatons. The room was comfortable and the restaurant provided some of the best breakfast I've had this side of France! Don't miss out on the king Eddie.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Eric I,
Thank you for posting such wonderful comments and sharing how you enjoyed your time at the King Edward Hotel. I am particularly pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s great service performed by real people.
We look forward to welcoming you back!
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Came here to experience the chocolate festival in Toronto; a portion of the $ is donated to cancer research!

Great ambience- afternoon tea is served with the view of the main lobby area, tables are right outside the restaurant.

Tea- I tried one of the chocolate teas but I was not a fan of it, however my friend tried the king Eddie tea and she loved it! They provided honey and milk/cream if needed and refilled the pots when required.

Food-chocolate pairing in the sandwiches were excellent! Scones were cold and would have been nice warmed and the chocolate spread provided was hard to put on scones so I used the jam instead. The chocolate desserts were to die for! Not one I did not enjoy.

Service-great, once we were given the menus and were ready to order our teas, we were presented with a tea box with the loose leaf teas to smell. When we requested for the honey, milk, more hot water and plain water they were all promptly fulfilled. Upon presentation of our food, our server took the time to explain each item but I think I was too "googly-eyed" about all the chocolate that I forgot half of the descriptions!

I would like to return here again to try their regular afternoon tea, however, I hope they can warm up the scones first.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear crazy_cat_sab,
Thank you for posting your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed the King Edward’s famous Afternoon Tea. We hope that you return to visit us again soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

What a magical old hotel beautiful lobby and ceilings and the rooms were in keeping with this style. I had a lovely view from the 16th floor toward the port and a church. My room was so quiet I slept in! The conference I was attending at the hotel provided breakfast lunch and dinner for over 300 people - best conference food I have ever had. Well done King Edward will reccomend you and if Im in Toronto again would definitely stay! The location is good about 10 minutes to Eaton Centre, afew minutes to great restaurants if you choose to eat outside of the hotel and we had great facials a minute a way. Only crticism is the stepp wine prices in the bar and the surley barman the only rude staff member we came across. As a result we never went back to the bar.

Dear lionelmax,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and sharing your experience with us. I offer my sincerest apologies for the disappointing level of service that you received from a member of our team. Please be assured that we have followed up appropriately. I was thrilled to read your “best food” comment and I am happy that you were satisfied with your stay.

Glastonbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This big old hotel has a great atmosphere. I stayed here for a conference event. Large room on the 15th floor. Clean, spacious and yet cosy and homely. The food was great...most of the time. Staff friendly.

TBay, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was the first time that I stayed at the King Edward Hotel. It’s located centrally just east of the financial and theatre district. It’s quite a nice building and when one comes into the hotel, the lobby interior is quite beautiful. The people were all friendly and I was surprised that I was greeted by name several hours after I had checked in and was coming back to the hotel.

There is a bit of a disconnect, however, between the building and the rooms. As I got off the elevator, I noted that wall furnishings and the carpet looked dated and like they could use a bit of a cleaning. The rooms are not spectacular and barely make average. Again, the carpet could have used a good cleaning. I found the room to be rather dark. Turning on all the lights in the room really did not help very much. I have to say that the bed was very comfortable. I rarely sleep through the night in a hotel, but I did here….so that makes up for a lot.

This was also the first time I booked a hotel through one of the online services. I selected a four star hotel in the city downtown core and I got the King Edward. Four star? I don’t know about that….more like 3 or 3.5 star.

One other thing…if you forget toiletries, take a pass on the gift shop. A pack of five cheap disposable razors cost close to $10…better that you walk to a drugstore half a block down the street and pick up your supplies there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear buddha,
Thank you for commenting on your experience at the King Edward Hotel. I was pleased to read that you noticed how friendly the hotel team was and that you were greeted by name shortly after arrival. I’m sorry that you found your assigned room to be slightly dated. The hotel is currently launching a very comprehensive guest room renovation plan. We are very excited that many rooms are planned for completion by March 2013.
Thank you for choosing to stay at the King Edward Hotel.

Calicut, Kerala, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed one night at the King Edward, very imposing foyer and the reception area. The room that I was booked in was spacious and luxurious, and you could run around in the bathroom! There were some issue with the electrical fittings however- the hair dryer would not fit into any socket but one and that one blew when I tried it! the ceiling lights kept flickering and crackling- little things, but an upscale place should be careful lest this spoil their image. The staff were friendly and helpful- especially Tahera - it is not easy to have a pleasant and smiling face at 500AM when i checked out! Thank you! Would like to come in again and stay longer and with my wife and daughter. Maybe sometime soon!

Dear manojmp,
Thank you for acknowledging the many features that make this hotel stand out. I was particularly pleased to know that our “staff were friendly and helpful”. Please know that hair dryers’ are inspected daily and any issues with lighting and electrical fittings will be immediately addressed…thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the King Edward Hotel. Your patronage is appreciated.

Jeff Waters

Been to The Omni King Edward Hotel? Share your experiences!