“It's an airport hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Dallas, Texas
“It's an airport hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I expect very little from airport hotels and this hotel did not exceed my expectations. But it didn't disappoint either. The room was small, which was fine. The bed was about as hard as the floor. And the duvet on the bed was probably as dirty as the floor.

The breakfast buffet was chaotic, but much nicer than I expected (and, of course, overpriced and not worth it if you don't have a voucher). There are a few good dining options walking distance from the hotel.

Truthfully, there are some pretty horrible hotels around YYZ. This one isn't the worst of them. And if you're on a budget, it may be a decent choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
HotelMGT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Please know that your feedback is important to us as it helps us identify areas of opportunity! Your comments have been forwarded to the managers concerned and we will ensure that your concerns are addressed. I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations but I hope that you will give us a chance to welcome you again at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just checked in and there is no fridge in room! way too long to check in! called for more towels and was asked to call back? really are you fricking joking!!! need to find a new place for the rest of the week!

Room Tip: make sure rooms have a fridge so you can have a drink !
Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing feedback of your visit to our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the delay in delivering a fridge to your room. Rest assured that our Housekeeping Manager has been made aware and is investigating where we have gone wrong. I am very grateful that you gave me the opportunity to address and rectify this matter and I sincerely hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back to our hotel in future.
Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention!
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on return trip home from a vacation. I will never, ever stay here again, nor will I ever recommend this hotel to anyone.

We were booked in an Executive room. Breakfast is included, as is turndown service and the so called "Executive Lounge".

Upon arrival, the surly front desk attendant did not appear to like her job. Ok, whatever, we all have bad days, but the lack of even a smile or forced pleasantry is not a good indication of hotel hospitality.

We were told that there is no breakfast included on the weekends (we were there on a Friday night) but she would offer us two vouchers for a sit-down breakfast to order whatever we wanted. She made this seem as if it was a privilege to be offered these vouchers, but hey, breakfast is included in my rate, this is not a privilege but what is in my rate, so she did not need to act as if she was doing us a big favor.

By the way, breakfast is not "order what you want", but it is a buffet. Buffet selection was fine, but everything was cold! Cold eggs, cold bacon, cold everything! Then there were the tourists from a far-east country that felt it was ok to push one out of the way and grab the serving spoon from your hand and sneeze all over the buffet set-up. I did mention to a server that a particular person sneezed all over the place setting one table over as he walked by, all I was told was that their culture doesn't care about the things we do. Well, ok, but how about changing out that place setting? Nope. Whatever.

Ok, back to the room. It smelled moldy. The walls are paper thin. I can hear what the person next to us is doing in the bathroom. Not pleasant. The Executive Lounge is a joke. There is no one there, it is dark and dank. Not welcoming at all, and not worth the upgrade to Executive level.

The bathroom seemed clean, until you closed the door. Behind the door was a nice bit of hair and such. Apparently cleaning behind the bathroom door is not done at the Crowne Plaza.

The moveable make-up mirror, while a nice touch, was placed so high my 510" husband could just see himself! I think if one was a 6' woman, then she could use it for make-up. Otherwise, wear big platform shoes.

There was no evening turndown service, which was a part of being on the Executive floor. If there had been, perhaps the maids would have noticed the dirty sheets that were never changed from the last guest? We noticed them when we were getting ready for bed at 9:30 p.m. Disgusting!!!

I called to have someone come up and change the sheets. The person at the front desk asked if we wanted to move our room (Mohammed, I think?) but we are in our pajamas ready for bed, no, just come change the sheets.

Two maids came, and they had two sheets. I asked where are the pillow cases, I was asked if there was a problem with them...ridiculous, the stains were quite obvious. I asked for a new blanket and comforter, too, as they were also stained (what were the previous guests doing?). I was told they don't have any clean ones at that time. I told the ladies to go get some from an unoccupied room! Don't people have any ability to think for themselves?

After much resistance, they finally brought all new bedding.

I also found it odd that, while showering, I only got one squirt out of the conditioner. After my shower, I went to use the body lotion, and noticed that it was mostly empty (you could see through it when you held it up to the light). I told the maids that whoever cleaned the room also never replaced the amenities, and just left used items. I was only told that they would make a note of it. There was no apology, no offer to bring new items, nothing.

As I mentioned, the walls are thin. If you stay here, think about what you are saying and doing in your room, because those around you will hear everything.

There was no local paper at the room in the morning, but there is supposed to be as part of being on the Executive floor.

I met one friendly, pleasant person at this hotel, and it was at the front desk when I came down the first evening to ask about places to eat around the hotel and some other local information. I did not get her name, but she was of Asian descent, and she was not the one that checked us in. This was the one pleasant, smiling employee I encountered. I wish I remembered her name to give her recognition!

Upon check-out, I went to the front desk and told the person there that I wanted it noted about our dirty room, as I wasn't sure if anyone would follow up with housekeeping from the night before. I was given the card of a manager, and was told that I would be contacted regarding our stay. It is one week now, there has been no contact. I don't expect a refund for my room, just someone to make sure housekeeping knows how to clean a room for the next guest and replace the used items! I do not believe anyone at this hotel cares about their guests enough to just tell them, "Yes, sorry, we will definitely follow up on these issues". Find a different hotel. The Residence Inn down the street looked nice.

I am glad this hotel was only for one night. I do not recommend it at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

The time you have taken to provide the specific details of your recent stay is appreciated. I can assure you that we do continually gather, review, and compile the comments and utilize them in how to best modify practices/procedures and identify product deficiencies and opportunities.
I would welcome an opportunity to discuss the challenges you faced with you personally. Our goal is guest satisfaction and I would like to stress that sleeping experience you had at our hotel, is not indicative of the level of service the team at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel is committed to provide.
Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a work conference, which was also there. The rooms were spotless and roomy and the staff were extremely well trained and friendly. The only reason I gave it a 4 in stead of a 5 is because one of the rooms we used for our conference had a strong musty smell. The food is amazing!

Room Tip: If you can, stay on the second floor, which is the executive level. The rooms are a bit bigger and y...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HotelMGT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our hotel.
We are very happy to read that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed your room, as well as food in the reastaurant. Specially our staff are thrilled that they left you with such a good impression.
Thank you for staying with us! We look forward to welcoming you again at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel.
HFX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have been staying here for a few years now on my business trips to Toronto, but time to find a new hotel for my trips. The Crown Plaza is simply too inconsistent. Today, for the second time, I called for room service. The person said, "can I have someone call you back?"...OK sure. 15 minutes later, I got dressed and went out to a local Jack Astors restuarant becuase they did not call back. Its not the first time this has happened either.

The hotel in general is just OK, nothing special. Rooms are small, but clean. Bathrooms are small as well.
Bar is small and has no character, very bland, as is restaurant.

There is no need to settle for poor customer service, they are many hotels that will try harder to keep my business and that's where I shall be going in the future....somewhere else.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is club floor, with larger, nicer rooms.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing feedback of your visit to our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the delay in calling you back. Rest assured that our F &B Manager has been made aware and is investigating where we have gone wrong. I am very grateful that you gave me the opportunity to address and rectify this matter and I sincerely hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back to our hotel in future.
Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention!
Elena Naryjania
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The location was very close to the airport and because they were a bit North off Dixon this allowed the shuttle bus driver to take a route that did not have traffic lights--on my day of departure from the hotel lobby door to the terminal was exactly only four minutes!

As a local I often stay at hotels by the airport when I have an early morning flight hence why my staying there this time. The check-in at the front desk was swift and the clerk was very nice. As others had mentioned, the free wifi worked exceptionally well but I had to call once I got into the room to get the wireless code; I think this could be a part of the check-in process.

I was surprised by the small room though--for some reason I expected a bit more but for only an evening I was fine and it was spotlessly clean, so with that, I overlooked the tiny room. I also had a nice view of the airport and even put my glasses on the get a better view of the action taking place on the runway.

The next morning the shuttle started its scheduled service at 5am and I was there, with several others, including airline staff. There was some confusion about the shuttle--there were two outside plus a van but the the concierge seemed only to concentrate on the airline staff. I looked at the others who were not, and we shook our heads not knowing what to do next, but, eventually once he got them settled into the van he then motioned for us to come to one of the larger shuttles. I think that this could be somewhat organized better.

For me, there were no noise issues because once I hit the pillow I could probably sleep on the runway. However, please note for any of you with noise sensitivities: I could hear people in the surrounding rooms use the bathroom and to put it in the most modest form--the walls were thin enough that I was able to determine who may have been male and who may have been female. Also, as one of the flight paths is directly above the hotel, it will be impossible to escape airplane noise. Too, if you get the view I have, though I loved watching the planes take off, the thought did cross my mind briefly that if something went wrong during the first 20 seconds of take-off, I had better be prepared to make a fast run! Plane flew directly towards and above the hotel.

Of course I would stay there again. My profile clearly identifies that cleanliness and non-smoking (the entire hotel is) places are at the top of my list and it definitely met these criteria. Too, the lovely front desk clerk was so nice that at the end of a long work day before a flight, a small pleasant conversation was so nice.

Room Tip: If you want clean, this is it, if you want silence, perhaps a bit further from the airport.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and services following your recent visit. I am pleased to read that you found your room comfortable and our team friendly. Please accept my apologies for the delay in departure from the hotel. I have informed our Night Manager of this matter and we will investigate the reason for this delay. Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We hope that you will visit us again at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel.
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently completed a one night stay at the Crowne Plaza near the Toronto Pearson Airport while in town on business. The location of the hotel is great. It is close to the airport, and local suburbs for business, as well as close to downtown. The hotel itself is in a quiet business park with a few chain restaurants close-by as well as the major firm AECON.
The lobby is bright and modern, and represents the new Crowne Plaza image well. The same could be said for the rooms, which were typical CP rooms featuring a very comfortable bed and modern furnishings. My favorite part of staying at CP hotels, which is silly, is their bathrooms They always have great showers, and offer Temple Spa products, which I love!
The free wi-fi was fast and worked very well, and there was a good work desk for business guests.
I did have two gripes with this hotel however. First, I booked a king-bed online via the IHG website, and upon arrival was given my key and was not told a king bed could not be honored. I didn't find this out until I got to my room and found too small beds. I called down and was told they were out of king beds, but they were willing to upgrade me to a king room on the "club floor". I do find all of this odd because I am an IHG Rewards Platinum member and would usually get access to the club floor anyway. Now, the "club floor" is a bit of a joke. I went into the club room after 5pm, and there were no drinks (other than water and pink lemonade), no snacks (other than pretzels and snack mix from a bag) and no attendant. This was not a club room!
My last gripe was with the breakfast buffet. Luckily mine was included because if I had paid for the cold tasteless food they were offering, I would have been quite upset. The pancakes were cold, the oatmeal was cold, and the potatoes were cold. Luckily there was a nice fresh fruit selection.
Overall, I would consider staying here again, but would skip the breakfast for sure!!!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing feedback of your recent visit to our hotel. Great to read that you had a pleasant stay and were impressed with the service received from our team. Please accept my apologies for quality of buffet breakfast. Our Executive chef has been informed and will address this matter with his team. I appreciate that you brought it to our attention and look forward to welcoming you again at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel.
Front Office Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport? Share your experiences!