“Good for transit stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good for transit stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

My trip to Asia left me trapped in Toronto for 13 hours, so I used Priceline to snag a room here for $70 for one night. This hotel had a free shuttle (call to get them to pick you up) and was pretty close to the airport. The room was really small and the bathroom even smaller. I would not recommend this hotel for more than a quick transit stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
HotelMGT, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear valued guest, thank you for your recent comment, please note that the hotel offers a veriety of rooms including suites and Executive rooms that are not offered through priceline. We hope to see you again and that you have an opportunity to book with the hotel directly on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed one night. Room 338. Standard size room with 2 full size beds. Sliding mirror closet. Full length mirror on the exterior door of the restroom. 6 drawers for your clothing. In room coffee machine. Cups & ice bucket. Old fashion television. No desk. 2 chairs. Free wifi. Central A/C with the unit mounted beneath the window. Not enough walking space provided between the bed next to the window and the bed itself. (you will literally be sleeping next to the A/C unit & it will be blowing directly on you.) bed side alarm clock that is capable of playing CDs. Beds are firm but clean. Limited wall plugs availability. (Be prepared to start unplugging some appliances if you have more than 3 items in need of charging.) Compact size restroom. Wall mounted hair dryer. Lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and soaps are provided. Low water pressure for the shower. Hooks for hanging up towels behind the bathroom placed unusually high; it is literally at the top edge of the door.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Amherst, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I knew from the moment I made my reservation that I wanted to sign up to TripAdvisor and write up a review regarding my stay here. Part of this is because I love travel, and partly because I also work with hospitality as a Desk Agent. I attended the Anime North Convention at the end of May this year, so I booked as early as I could, knowing full well that the hotel would book up quickly.

A note to people who call the toll free number: this is not directly to the hotel. A lot of people don't realize this when booking, even I forgot at first. The service I received from the 1-800 number was mediocre at best. The lady who took my call sounded like when was having a rough day and that my call was a burden. Of course, this does NOT reflect the hotel itself, as it is only a toll free line which is for plenty of the crown plaza hotels. It took the lady a few minutes to tell me what was included with the room as well, which bothered me a bit at first, but knowing not all of the hotels were the same, I can understand why she had to go looking, this was fine. However, a suggestion to others looking to book, call direct. The service you'll receive from the staff directly at the hotel will likely be far superior, and you will have all of your questions answered. I confirmed this by calling the toll free number about a week before arriving to confirm my reservation, as well as ask several things regarding the hotel. They were un-able to answer half of my questions, and directed me to the direct line where I received friendly service and had my questions answered quickly.

Upon arriving, we were stuck down by the restaurant on site in the incredibly long line up to check in. Not that the agents were slow, just that there was a massive amount of people attending this convention, most of which had bags surrounding them with their costumes and took up a fair bit of the line. Considering how many people there were, getting to the desk agent was not a particularly long wait, long enough for how many people were there, I felt the wait time was fair, knowing what it's like to be on the other side of the desk.

When myself and my friend finally got to the desk, we provided her with our names and informed her we wanted to pay cash. We were informed it was a $50.00 damage deposit per night without a credit card. Again, fair.You have to cover yourself for those who wreck the rooms, and I felt a $50.00 damage deposit for the rooms was nothing, considering the deposits we have. Do not worry, we were well aware of the deposit procedure's, as we inquired about it before arriving.

One small snag at check in, however. The lady at the desk looked at her computer for a few moments, then finally informed us that our room was not yet ready. This surprised me a little since it was after 5:00pm, and check out time is at 12:00 noon. I glanced around and noticed some flight attendants just dropping their key cards in the deposit box by the door and leaving the building. I can understand the attendants don't really have much of a place to go, however when you have expected arrivals, late check-outs are a no-no where I come from. The lady was quick to offer us something else instead. Originally booked into a room with two double beds, she asked if we would like to take a room with one king bed as it was already ready and free. The price remained the same. It took only a moment of deliberating on whether or not we'd be comfortable sharing a bed, and were fine with it in the end, as we had intended to put 4 people in a room with 2 doubles before. The upgrade was appreciated, especially with a lobby congested with people for the convention. Waiting for our room to be finished would have been a painful wait with all of our luggage. Props for the agent, I wish I could remember her name to let the manager know how well she handled the situation, and was very personable.

It was a little annoying that we were booked on the highest floor, the elevator stopping at the floor below us and trying to get our luggage up the last set of stairs was a challenge. We could have asked for one of the bell boys to take it, but they looked very busy with the people who had tons more luggage, so we made due.

We loved our room. It was very bright, cozy, and as many others have said, the lavender pillow spray and earplugs are a nice gift left for those who are light sleepers with the airport. Honestly though, i hardly heard the planes, and I'm an incredibly light sleeper. Coffee machine in the room, ice bucket, access to the pool, sauna and hot tub (call ahead of time about the hot tub and sauna though, they don't have it running all of the time but would be glad to turn it on for you prior to you arriving to the pool). Did I mention the view was excellent? Technically only a view of the city and so on, but being so high up didn't seem so bad once you had such a nice look outside at night.

One thing that bothered me was that there was no continental breakfast included, even though we were paying over $100.00 per night. Not having it provided, we had brought some dry foods with us, but contemplated using the order form in the room to hang on the door knob for a pre-ordered hot breakfast. We changed our minds once we saw the price for what you got though. $14-18 for some toast, bacon, eggs and a coffee was a bit much. This was probably the only thing that really bugged me about my stay as a desk agent.

The service is superb, however. The agents are always friendly and smiling, and personable. The room was spotless, cozy, warm, all appliances works just fine, and check out was smooth and simple. For having a hotel at least 95% full of excited conventioneers, plenty of which were teenagers to young adults, it was incredibly quiet, and never seemed out of control.

Summary:

Plus sides: Cozy room, affordable price, accommodated when there was an issue, friendly professional service, pool towels always filled, quiet for being an airport hotel

Downsides: No continental even with the price we paid and restaurant too expensive to eat in, late check outs on a busy day caused us, and possibly some other conventioneers some problems.

All in all, I was very pleased with my stay. Whether it's for a convention, or just an overnight stop on your way elsewhere, Crowne Plaza is a good choice. The issues I had was a situational issue that was quickly redeemed, and the breakfast can be easily overlooked as there are some great places nearby that serve very hearty meals at excellent prices.

Thank you!

Room Tip: Call directly to the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
HotelMGT, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Dear "TravellingTag", thank you for your thorough review of our hotel and its services during this annual conference. We are happy that the event went off well and look forward to having everyone back next year!

Nelson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Clean rooms, comfy bed, great shower, free wifi, efficient 24 hour shuttle. What more could you ask for an overnight airport stay?

• Stayed June 2011
Dear "AJay1974" thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you back at our property on your next trip.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Rooms are clean and comfortable and location is close to the airport with courtesy shuttle and close to public transportation. I would return to this hotel and do recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
HotelMGT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear valued guest, thank you for taking a moment to reveiw our hotel and its services. We look forward to seeing you back with us in the future.

Moose Jaw, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

This was the first hotel I looked at, and am great for staying here. The shuttle was great, not long of a wait at all, my friend and I were even able to check in very early, which was nice. The rooms are a good size for the hotel, very comfortable beds and very clean comfortable sheets as well. The bathroom although seems small is a perfect size for the everyday uses.
The hotel was quiet, could not even hear the airplanes going by much. Front staff was good, and the restaurant was amazing!! Food is great and not at all overpriced.
Great work and can't wait to go back again!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
HotelMGT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear valued guest, we are happy that you enjoyed your hotel experience and the restaurant so thoroughly. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport one night for a conference. The staff were very friendly. The restaurant offers a full brunch style breakfast in the morning, which is quite well done. There are also several good restaurants walking distance. I liked the fact there were screens in the lobby that showed flight departure and arrival times; as what you would see in the airport. What a great idea! There's nothing worse than getting to the airport and discovering your flight has been delayed for several hours; or worse yet, cancelled. Mine was delayed so instead of hanging out in the airport I could go to the restaurant for a glass of wine. When it was time to go they also helped me reach a cab service when I could not get through.

* Note they also offer shuttle service to and from the airport at a reasonable rate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Dear valued guest, thank you for your recent review and we are happy we could accommodate your needs. Please note that there is actually no charge for the shuttle service; it is solely operated by the hotel and service for the convenience of our guests.

Kind regards,

Been to Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport? Share your experiences!