“good choice for the Airport” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East

You added Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Dixon Rd, Toronto, Ontario M9W 1J1, Canada (Formerly The Toronto Airport Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Flexibility & Breakfast!
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Belfast, United Kingdom
“good choice for the Airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I liked the location of the hotel,it was close to 401,and there were few restaurants and caffes within 5 min walk.Staff was pleasant,and helpful.
My room was nice,clean and quite spacious,Only minus was that there was some paint flaking off ceiling.
There is no mentioning of laundry room in hotel guide.I found it by accident when I walked to my room and saw signpost.It useful when staying for a few days.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Utica, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Airport East for a long weekend while attending a nearby hockey tournament. The hotel was conveniently located near major highways outside of Toronto. There are no amenities that you can walk to, but there are stores and restaurants within a short drive.

The rooms were clean and modern. Although the hotel is located right in a flight path to the airport, we heard relatively little noise in the room.

The air conditioning system in the room appeared quite old, and probably was not replaced during the renovation. It was noisy and took quite a while to cool the room down.

There is a Perkins restaurant attached to the hotel, which was very convenient.

My only complaint is that the front desk staff was inconsistent. Some of the clerks were polite and helpful and others were rude. We were staying as part of a group rate package. Every staff member we asked about the package provided a different answer about what it included.

All in all this was a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the 1st floor. The elevators are at the far end of the hotel, away fr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Easily one of the worst hotel experiences I’ve ever had. We actually checked out a day early even though it was pre-paid. Needless to say, there was NO credit applied and I’m afraid I’ll be fighting that refund battle for months to come. We frequently stay at Holiday Inns – they are moderately priced and usually good value for the money. But that was NOT the case in their Toronto “Airport East” hotel (note there are two Holiday Inns near the Toronto airport – this review refers to the “Airport East” hotel). Here is a list of the problems we encountered in only two days/nights there --

* Hotel-wide Power outage: we spent ½ day in the dark. The hotel turned off the power to the entire building (for “maintenance” caused by “storm damage”) one of the two days we spent there and the power was off for ½ the day. The hotel did not even have emergency lights in any hallway. All but the main hallway were pitch black and we navigated by cell phone. Is that even legal? Aren’t there fire laws in Toronto? Unfortunately, that was a day we had planned to stay in our room for most of the day (for reasons that would take too long to explain). We spent the day with no power, no air, no lights, no TV, no Wifi, etc. … with no prior notice or apologies from the hotel. After the fact, they claimed they had called all the rooms to warn then – we got no such call and spoke to other guests who also received no prior notice of this power outage. The only notice we saw (about ½ hour before the power was cut) was a small sign typed on 8 ½ x 11 paper, taped to one of the side doors to the parking lot. Their restaurant was closed, needless to say, during the outage.

* Bugs: Bugs on the floor, bugs flying around the room. When I spoke to the front desk about it they said “that’s because we are on the first floor”. Seriously.

* Room not secure: First floor room door to the outside was not secure – this “patio” door to the outside did not lock properly. There was a double sliding glass door – one locked, the other didn’t.

* Key Cards did not work: Speaking of poor security, I had to have each of our two key cards changed four times in two days. Literally every time we got back to our room, one of our key cards did not work and one of us had to go all the way back to the front desk to have a new one made. This is a large, sprawling hotel – the walk to the front desk was about 3 city blocks long (that’s mentioned in several other reviews of this place). That got old … fast!

* Carpeting wet: There were wet spots all over the carpeting. This was a “Pet room”. We had one of our dogs with us. We have traveled enough with dogs over the years to know that hotels always put you in the “pet rooms” when you bring a dog. I don’t expect perfection in a pet room but this was gross -- our dog’s incessant sniffing told us what the wet spots were. (no, he did not make the wet spots; they were already there…).

* Hairs in the bed: The only good thing about this hotel was that the beds were comfortable. However, there were long dark hairs in the “clean” white sheets in the bed. Nasty.

* Mildew: The entire hotel reeked of mildew and/or room freshener spray – the kind of stuff that’s sprayed to cover the small of mildew!

* Poor quality WiFi: The front desk gives you a WiFi login with your key card when you check in. Seems great but the WiFi is so poor it only shows up with one bar on the WiFi icon on your phone most of the time, if at all and every time it goes out you have to log in again. The Wifi was so bad that my phone kept reverting back to cellular and since I’m from the U.S., those Canadian cellular roaming charges can add up. Of course, during the ½ day the power was out there was no WiFi at all. Can’t wait to see my cell bill after all of this!

* Ripped off for parking: When we checked in they told us the refrigerator was complimentary (it was) and so was the parking (it was not). Parking was charged at $12.39 per day. What hotel … especially an airport hotel … charges guests for parking? Even hotels in midtown Manhattan that have their own lots comp their guests’ parking!

* Non-responsive surly front desk: It started with a request for a refrigerator. When I booked this hotel I called them directly to request a small refrigerator in the room for medication (I called the hotel to see if they had mini-bars; they did not so I requested a small refrigerator). When we checked in, I reminded them of the request and was told it was already in the room. It was not. When I called the desk from the room about the refrigerator, they were surly, saying “I told you it was coming, why are you calling?” and I was told to “be patient – it will be there”. Actually they didn’t say it was coming when I checked in – they actually said it was already there or I wouldn’t have wasted my breath calling the desk. It arrived about a ½ hour later. Fortunately the small cooler bag the medication was in had retained its chill or we could have had a major problem. Read on about other episodes with their front desk –

* After five hours without power on the day they cut the hotel’s power I went out to the desk to ask when power was being restored. The two men behind the desk claimed they knew nothing and that I should “ask her”, pointing to a woman in a Holiday Inn uniform standing in the lobby surrounding by people complaining. All she could do was say over and over again that everyone had been notified by phone of the outage (as if that made it OK) which we were not.

* When we checked out a day earlier than planned because of how horrendous this place was, they refused to credit us for the day … they refused to do just about anything. They were surly and generally unhelpful. Note that I never saw the same person at the front desk twice in the two days I was there. Yet all had just about the same degree of surliness.

* Note: this hotel is obviously a Holiday Inn franchise and it seems to commonly respond to complaints made in online reviews. Now that I’ve stayed there, I believe every negative review but not any of the hotel management’s defensive posts. No doubt they’ll respond to this review as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear maggiesmagic,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East, ON. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked this Stay-Park-Fly room through itravel2000 for $112. A great value considering free week of parking and return shuttle.
Crystal on the front desk was very polite and cheerful, and quickest check in ever!
Our 5th floor room was nice, clean, quiet and well appointed.
It was hot and humid in the room, so thermostat set down to 16, we departed for Woodbine (another bonus as it's in close proximity).
Upon our return the room was just as stuffy, and when I reported it to Crystal, without hesitation she said it would be looked at by the maintenance staff and she passed me a new room key.
By the time we left the room, maintenance was at the door, and our new room was cooler and the a/c worked fine. GREAT service.
Our wake-up call and shuttle was on time, but this hotel is further from Pearson than other hotels, and they stop a couple of times, so plan accordingly.
In-room Coffee machine: Good. No In-room fridge: Not Good.
Only other suggestion for management is to review the signage on the outside doors and double check their security. As we drove around the building looking for "Door 4", it was hard to find: Poor Signage. When we did find it, it was unlocked and open, leading into a dirty sketchy hallway, past what might be an employee lounge and then into the corridor leading to the elevator. NOT a pleasant nor impressive way to enter your hotel.
All-in-all still a good hotel for your park and fly needs, but continuous improvements would ensure a returning client base.
Cheers, Paul

Room Tip: Top floor (5th) is quiet and has a "view" of the area, not great but consider it's an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We booked this hotel 2 months in advance- in the meantime they obviously had a flood- the place reaked- I understand that, but they put us in a room right above the construction of their first floor where they were re-modeling and making repairs. Holy noisy Batman! And when the drills and hammers stopped, we had the Jet noise to enjoy [insert sarcasm]. There was a whole other side of the building that was quiet, we arrived at 2:00 and wanted to nap before heading into the city, and all we heard were intermittent drills and hammers until 5:00!. Then there was the delightful cloud of smoke from the workers having breaks just outside the door. SERIOUSLY? The Perkins diner attached was palatable, but service was slow and food undercooked. This was surprising given how empty the place was and how long it took us to get our food. Bed was comfortable, but climate controls were a nuisance. Either the fan blew directly on you, or, if you adjust it like we did, then you sweat your toosh off. Paint was pealing, carpet was dated and old. Bathroom fan sounded loud and squeaky and was automatic with the light-turning it on meant for first 5 min it sounded like a rocket taking off..but eventually it quieted a bit; and the sink/outlets/vanity area was IN the same space as the toilet and shower.not ideal. The doubletree a 1/4 mile down the road was 20 times nicer! Just FYI. I will NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT over the construction.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Karen C,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit at our hotel. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the ongoing construction, it is regrettable that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We try our best to ensure all guests have a great stay and undisturbed sleep. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future to provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chichester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

In 2009 we were "Zoomed", when Zoom Airlines went bust after we had boarded our aircraft in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

A long story, but we had to get out of Halifax to a hub airport in order to find a flight back to the UK. We succeeded with a Westjet flight to Toronto, where we were able to book a room at the Holiday Inn (West) - an excellent hotel, where the staff were so helpful to us.

Having not realised there were 2 Holiday Inns at Toronto Airport, we asked the travel agent through whom we were arranging our holiday to Alberta and BC, to book the Holiday Inn for our overnight stay, finding on arrival that this was at the older, low rise (3 storey) Holiday Inn East.

No worries, the hotel had recently been refurbished and the staff were just as helpful as they had been at the Holiday Inn West.

However, what makes the Holiday Inn stand out is the exceptionally comfortable beds/pillows - certainly the most comfortable we had throughout our holiday in 8 hotels, albeit closely followed by the Delta Bow Valley Hotel in Calgary, which is an excellent upmarket resort/business hotel.

The clean rooms, quiet air-conditioning (about 28c outside) and welcoming on-site restaurant at the Holiday Inn East, were also very much appreciated - thank you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed one evening the last night of my Toronto stay. (For anyone visiting Toronto, the early am public transportation is not early enough for an early flight out of the airport. So if you book a hotel downtown, book your last night near the airport, take the train to the bus to the airport and then make use of the free shuttle.)This hotel was really nice, recently renovated. I cannot remember the womans name who checked me in, but she was delightful. Warm and welcoming. The property was clean and my room was very nice. The beds were new and extremely comfortable. I didnt have a swimsuit or work out clothes but did check out the pool and exercise rooms. The pool was nice and nobody was there so I really wished I had my suit cause I could've had the whole pool to myself. The exercise room was small but had enough cardio machines and free weights to get some decent exercise. I ate in the resturant too, it was pretty good and fairly price. Wake up call right on time. Shuttle also right on time. All the staff I encountered were very pleasant. Most Canadians are. I would recommend staying here, if you need a hotel near the airport. If you want to stay and visit Toronto, I would rent a car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East? Share your experiences!