“As expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
around the world
“As expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

The hotel met expectations - a comfortable sleep close to the airport

We only really spent time at the hotel while sleeping, so I can't comment on the gym, restaurant, etc, but the hotel had
Comfortable rooms - they were clean, quiet
Convenient shuttle - left the hotel frequently and ran 24/7
Convient location - we picked up a rental car off the airport (a good way to save some money) which was only a few blocks away rom the hotel
Indifferent staff - we arrived late, which might have explained the apathy

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ada H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear IllJill,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Holiday Inn Toronto Intenational AIrport. Although you didn't get to use much of the amenities this time, we are really glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your clean room, and we can't go wrong with our great location and free shuttle to the airport. Sorry to hear that the staff was not their usual warm and welcoming for your check in. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the furture.......Warm Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Kapolei, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I recently stayed here on November 30- December 13. I checked in with no problems with Kristina at the Front Desk. She informed me that they would place a $50 hold on my account in case of accidental damages to the room. It wasn't a problem for me. I was, however, disappointed upon hearing that my reservation price would actually be more than what I had booked it for. The "Best Price Guarantee" on the website is total crap as I was informed that the rates are subject to change due to peak days etc. Why advertise at a price other than what the real price is going to be?? FALSE ADVERTISEMENT in my book, no BS explanation needed from the hotel industry. Don't tell me you don't know what your room rates will be.

The problem with the hold on my account arose the next day when I noticed over $500 was missing from my account. Apparently Kristina failed to mention that its a $50 PER night fee that they would hold for the duration of my trip. This was irritating, as I also work in a hotel, to know that she neglected to point that out and seemed like I was being scammed. I am not at war with that policy, however, if I had known about that, I would've skipped this hotel entirely. Also, on the first day I was signed up as an IHG member and told that I'd be roomed on the executive floor. Well, that turned out to be a decent room with NO refrigerator or microwave.

I've stayed in dingy, cheap "America's Best" hotels in Georgia while in the military and even those rooms had a refrigerator for $39/ night.

I was able to switch to another room on the second night with a fridge. Hakim from the Front Desk was able to help us with our bags to our new room which was a huge help.

I was able to rectify the $500 hold on my account by talking with Ada from the Front Desk. It was a pain to have to contact my home bank to clear the entire payment and do another but I'm glad it was resolved (After a few days of waiting for my money to come back to my account). Ada compensated us for the trouble with a free Breakfast & Supper with two movies in our room, which was surprisingly very good in my opinion though I feel the restaurant service could be better for supper time. Why would you seat someone and not give them a menu for fifteen minutes??

Breakfast, on the other hand, was a decent buffet with enough waffles and fruits to satisfy my fiance and I. The coffee is quite terrible in the restaurant, as well as in the room. After the incident with Kristina, I didn't dare request for anything to be brought to my room for fear of more hidden charges.

Being a member of housekeeping at a Disney resort, I know what good housekeeping looks like. The housekeeping in this hotel is below average. Some days, I could tell the only thing they did was make the bed and take the towels, along with a brand new pair of my fiance's wool socks I had just bought for her. Small items disappeared from our room, but not worth the trouble reporting after the luck I had with Kristina the first night. I don't believe my room was vacuumed even once during my 13 nights there. The laundry room was another big disappointment. How can you have only one washer and one dryer??

No change machine means you need to take the elevator down to the front desk and hope they have enough coins to give you. I use the term coins because you need a variety of $1, $2, and/or quarters to use the machines. What a real pain. The biggest safety issue I noticed went untouched by the staff during th whole time we were there. One of the elevators was malfunctioning and would just keep closing and opening the doors and never leave the 8th floor where we were located. I felt very uneasy taking the elevators there, but walking up and down from the 8th floor isn't a great option either. The indoor pool and hot tub was ok, nothing special.

The fitness room was a good amenity we were able to utilize throughout our stay that helped to warm up for the day's activities. The lobby has a couple of comfortable sofas to sit on, but some of the Front Desk staff were rude and didn't seem interested in helping us out.

The operator can be difficult to reach at times from your room phone, so don't rely too much on them for service.

Our vacation was looking grim at the beginning. A combination of Ada resolving our account-hold issue, Hakim helping to move our things, and Basco providing us with helpful information on more than one occasion allowed us to have a bad vacation become a good one. Due to all the problems we have had in our 13-night stay, I will not be returning to this hotel. The best things about this place are the location to the airport and The Keg Steakhouse being right across the street. Best steak I've ever eaten.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a fridge, as all rooms are not equipped with them. Out of touch with the time...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ada H, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Joshua,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Holiday Inn Toronto International AIrport. We are very sorry to hear of all the issues you encountered during your stay. I personally took care of your hold on your credit card, and am glad we were able to resolve that for you. Kristina also felt really sympathic for this issue as it was never meant for that amount to be authorized. As for your housekeeping concern, I am really suprised to hear that you had some items missing. I know our Execuive Housekeeper takes such great pride in her team being very loyal and dedicated room attendants. I would really like the opportunity to discuss your experience more in detail and try help you recover the items you mentioned were missing. Can you pleae reach out to me at yyzialistens@ihg.com. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your reply. Warm Regards, Ada, Guest Services Manager.
Metamora, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and there are no changes in the conditions of this site. Rooms are clean and I noticed the tile in the bathroom was heated and that was very nice. The indoor pool is large enough to swim laps and the fitness center is very well equipped with both Cardo and Strength Training machines. Two sets of dumbells was also very nice. Yoga mats and a Swiss ball rounded out the Fintness Center.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Ada H, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Art48455,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful amenities such as our heated bathroom floors, our olympic size pools and our upgraded fitness centre. We will also be completing some renovations in the coming year to our guestrooms and lobby area as we continue to build great hotels guest love. Thank you very much for your loyaltiy and we would love to have you back in the future....... Warm Regards, Ada, Guest Services Manager
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Welcome to Holiday Inn!! Specialists in making your stay as comfortable as possible. We arrived early so many rooms had not yet been done but we got a room anyways and it was fine. A note here: we were told if the room did not match our expectations to come back to the reception desk and we would get another ASAP! We chose to stay in the room we got.

Any room # that finishes the digits XX30 is very close to the elevator and incredibly, we did not hear the elevator being used at all!! The view of a flat wall was not as nice as we like but we did not spend much time in our room anyways so that is moot. I will add though that the washroom size is ridiculously minute. Now had they installed a pocket door instead of a door that swings so close to the toilet and won't open fully because it his the shower curtain rod.... good chance it would be of perfect proportions! (Are we listening Holiday Inn)

I have a pet peeve and that is loose plumbing fixtures. It seems many hotels wait till stuff breaks instead of practicing preventive maintenance. Had my allen key set been in the car I would have tightened the shower water control handle myself but I didn't. I must mention though that this is the first time I get a Holiday Inn room with loose plumbing handles.

Every one working at this Holiday Inn does their best to ensure you are comfortable and happy. Desk staff could all start their own "Public Service School" as they are all that good!

We've stayed here a few times already and every time we end up being very satisfied.

Room Tip: Room numbers that end in "30" for example "630" face a wall and have minute wash...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

After an exhausting commute - a day and a half- the room was ICE COLD.
After a luxury Holiday Inn in Jordan (booked by the same tour group), Canada looked and felt like the Third World.
This room was booked months in advance, and confirmed just before the trip. Why wasn't the
room prepared? There were no thermostats on the walls.
I have called, with no response. I will call the tour company that books this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Ada H, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Deborah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Holdiay Inn Toronto International Airport. We would like to apologize that your stay was not enjoyable and we did not meet your expectations. We have tried to contact you unsuccessfully wth the number from your reservation but would love the opportunity to discuss your experience further, can you please contact me at yyzialistens@ihg.com. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.... Warm Regards, Ada, Guest Services Manager
Campbell River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed here overnite for a connection flight next morning. Was clean and had friendly staff but definitely could use some maitenance. Bathroom door was awful to open & when ever I opened the bathroom door the towel rack would fall off onto the floor. Charged for local calling which I thought was a bit much and I never complain as you would see in all my reviews but just thought for a holiday inn , could be in a bit better condition but like I said it was comfy enough for a short overnite stay & staff was friendly.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Karen B
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments in regards to your stay with us at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport! I'm glad that you found our staff friendly we do work hard to be a friendly hotel where guests and our associates can be themselves. As for the maintenance issues that you eluded to I would like for you to reach out to me directly at YYZIAlistens@ihg.com so I can get more detail on the room as this is something we would want to jump on and get repaired right away. Just to give you an update we are finalizing our capital plans for 2014 and will continue to focus on updating our product with particular focus on our guest touch areas such are the rooms and the lobby! Thanks again for staying with us and I hope that you will return soon and see some of the changes we are making to the property.
Regards
GMYYZIA
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I just checked into my room, I'm exhausted and can shrug stuff off because I'm too tired to care...

But then I go to the pool and there is a cockroach by the hot tub! Maitre nice cleaned it up, but it makes me question - are there more?

Back to the room I go to take a shower, I had to clean it first, someone's hair was in it!!!!! The glasses and ice box in the bathroom - also dirty.

I'm going to sleep tonight - not comfortably and will be looking to check out early tommorow.

Beyond this, the hotel bus driver was rude, and hotel is under maintenance. There should be a discount when the place is under construction.

Oi va! Take my advice and don't book here!

• Stayed November 2013
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear MaggieEG
I want to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give us your feed back. I want to start by apologizing for your experience. I'm taken back on your comments in regards to the cleanness of the hotel as we do pride ourselves on having a clean and well maintained hotel. I will share your comments with our Housekeeping team so that they can look into these issues. We do have a proactive pest control program with a third party partner in order to be pest free. As for renovations we are currently working on some repairs on our roof which does not interfere with the services that we provide but we are always reinvesting back into the property which is critical to maintaining a great hotel that guests love. Thanks again for sharing your comments!
Regards
YYZIA GM

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport? Share your experiences!