“Nice hotel, horrible customer/guest service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #128 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
“Nice hotel, horrible customer/guest service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in North York, ON for one night over the weekend as I was attending a festival in Toronto. The hotel itself is average, very clean and well kept. Our room was very nice and clean, spacious, etc. Overall, the hotel was great. I have a major problem with the customer service and guest services at this hotel. We arrived around 12 hoping to get an early check in, which didn't happen but we were understandable with that. When we checked in after the festival, the manager was extremely rude and ignorant. He seemed to be talking down to me and a couple of people sharing the room. He seemed like he did not want us to be a bother? When we arrived into the room we needed extra pillows and a blanket for the pull out couch. We called guest services where we were told there is no way we could get that and hanging up on us. We tried to use the vending machine which ate our money and was a hassle to talk to the manager about this as well. He again, was ignorant and rude towards us. The manager was also talking down to his workers around him, which I did not think was appropriate at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto - North York, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Kristie F,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Toronto - North York. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sudbury, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a decent stay until I forgot my brand new I phone in my room, we had breakfast, left and realized 20 minutes later I had forgotten my phone. We dialed the number for the phone right away and it went straight to voice mail, bad sign the phone is always on. By the time we got back to the hotel the room was cleaned out and they claimed nothing was in the room. The people at the front desk were indifferent and could care less even though I lost a 500 dollar business phone with sensitive information and family pictures from our weekend. In short be very careful with personal belongings or you will be taken advantage off! Very unhappy customer, pay the extra 20 or so and stay at a better hotel where people actually care!

Eric

Room Tip: I have a tip, stay at another hotel so you don't get personal items stolen
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto - North York, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Eric G,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
IHGCare
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Having just spent 2 nights at a less than great Holiday Inn in Niagara Falls, this hotel was a welcome change! We spent 5 nights here and were very happy with the hotel and the staff. Unlike their counterpart in Niagara, we received a welcoming gift for being Priority Club members (actually one of the best gifts we’ve ever received at any HI Express). Checkmark number 1 for HI Express.

The room was a standard hotel room, nothing fancy. When we saw that this hotel also does not have mini-fridges in the room we called the front desk to see about getting one. We were told that we could rent one. We told them that we didn’t need one that bad, and were pleasantly surprised to see a mini-fridge waiting for us in our room when we returned the next day. Checkmark number 2.

When we left the next day, the front desk staff gave us a great map of the subway system and directions for how to get to the subway either by bus or driving. The front desk staff always had a smile for us when arriving or leaving the hotel. The continental breakfast was wonderful as always, those cinnamon buns are always a treat. Check, check and check. We would absolutely choose this hotel again.

(I did write this review soon after getting home, it just took me forever to post it)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
HIETorontoNorthYork, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto - North York, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
The Holiday Inn Express Toronto North York would like to express our gratitude to yo for taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. We make every effort to ensre our guets's experiences are superb. We sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to the city.
Barrie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I had the opportunity to recently stay at this property while I attended a 3 day conference. I found the people to be very friendly from the moment I checked in until I left. The room was very comfortable, clean and roomy with good working space. The room attendants always greeted you with a smile when you left in the morning. I would wake up to a newspaper at my door then down stairs for a complete breakfast. They offer a wide choice depending on your needs. Overall a fantastic stay and I would not hesitate to return again. The price for the room was a great value for what I received.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your thorough and complimentary review of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto North. We hope that you will continue to have us as your hotel of choice and look forward to welcoming you back.
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

My friend warned me about staying in North York. However, this place is beside a Police station; the parking lot is well lighted. Thus, I felt safe. The hotel was very clean. I did not experience any inconvenience from the renovation. Front desk staff were friendly. All in all, it is one of the better Holiday Inn Express around.
Suggested improvements: (1) No exercise facility; (2) No swimming pool; (3) Control of room HVAC unit is from wall, not from unit (posted instructions would be helpful); (4) Bathroom door could not be locked; (5) No lotions provided like other Holiday Inn Express; (6) Not enough AC outlets

Room Tip: Go to top floors
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
HIETorontoNorthYork, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto - North York, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Although we never enjoy hearing that one of our guests had a less than perfect stay, we feel the comments such as yours allow us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements.
Should you choose to return we encourage you to get in touch with us prior to your arrival so that we can ensure that everything for your stay is in perfect order.
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

The hotel itself is OK for an overnight. The only issue was the room was extremly stuffy and had no help from front desk. The hotel is clean and I would book it again, if in the area.

Room Tip: This property is undeer renovations, so ask for a room on the renovated floors.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your detailed remarks. Your comments help us increase our learning and give us the opportunity to review our standards and our levels of service.
I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future.
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Simple, clean, comfortable and conveniently located for my visit (to the hospital nearby). The staff were friendly. The breakfast was very good...eggs, sausage, pancakes, coffee, juice and an assortment of bread, bagels, cereals etc.
I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Sign up for free Priority Club Rewards
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
HIETorontoNorthYork, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto - North York, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for your great comments. We are always looking for comments to help us improve our services and guests such as you encourage us to keep striving for the best. We know that comfort and convenience are top priorities on every traveler’s mind. The Holiday Inn Express Brand allows you to stay your way with no frills added. We look forward to Welcome you back at the Holiday Inn Express Toronto North York.

Nozer Doctor

Been to Holiday Inn Express Toronto - North York? Share your experiences!