“Great service and location, room leaves something to be desired.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Toronto Centre

You added InterContinental Toronto Centre to your Saves list
InterContinental Toronto Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Front Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2X3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #21 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
TRENTON
“Great service and location, room leaves something to be desired.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed here on a Saturday, to have a girl's night out, and to do some shopping. I used Hotwire to get this room, and was very excited to see Intercontinental show up as the name. I stayed at an Intercontinental in Cologne, Germany, and it was one of the most beautiful, wonderful, modern rooms I've ever stayed in.

I arrived, parked in underground parking, and checked in. The lobby was beautiful! The counter guy was super nice, and I thought he was doing me a favour by giving me the top floor with a nice view of the CN Tower. Little did I know, I think that's where they stick the people they want to keep out of the way.

There was a horrific noise either on the roof, or from the elevators. It happened every so often, and I got almost no sleep at all because it startled me every time it happened. It was like a loud, roaring WHOOOOOOSH.

The room wasn't that clean. The bedding and pillows were spectacular, and the bed was comfortable enough. The carpet had stains on it, the mirror was dirty, and there were someone else's price tags from their purchases stuck in random places on the walls and above the window. There was this hunk of plastic behind the night stand, and it had all sorts of little metal spikes on it, staples maybe? Either way, not safe to have. I'm happy I didn't bring my 2 year old with me. The toilet flush handle was loose to the point that I was afraid it would fall off whenever I used it. For a 4-star hotel, I really expected it to be nicer. It seems very dated, and from what I've read on here, maybe it was one of the unrenovated rooms?

The toiletries were great, and there was a Keurig that I didn't use, but was happy to see. The room service menu was exorbitant, so I didn't try that out either. I ordered takeout to my room from a local restaurant and was very happy. The elevators were fast, and parking was relatively convenient.

The concierge was really helpful, and all of the people around were great, but the room just didn't make me happy. I'm glad I got this through Hotwire, because if I had paid full price, I would have been livid. I stayed at the Bellagio in Last Vegas for less per night than I spent here, and it was worlds apart. Seems like the 4-star rating comes from the lobby, location, and staff, definitely not the rooms.

Room Tip: DO NOT take the top floor, just don't do it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear PETER Y,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and provide your feedback. We are always appreciative of the comments we receive from our guests, as it makes us aware of the areas we can improve in.

While I was pleased to hear that our team went above and beyond to provide you with exceptional service, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations in regards to your guest room. I can assure you that your experience is not indicative of the cleanliness or quality we are known to provide in our guestrooms.

Our housekeeping team strives to ensure our rooms are well kept and held to the highest standard. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping department to ensure the issues you mentioned are addressed and rectified. I am also excited to let you know that we have plans in place to begin a refresh of some of our guestrooms, beginning this summer.

Should you wish to discuss your experience in further detail, please contact Christian Potvin, our Director of Rooms at 416-597-8190 or via e-mail at christian.potvin@ihg.com. He is certain that he can regain your loyalty if given the opportunity.

Once again, I would like to thank you for reviewing us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

M5V 2X3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Central Newfoundland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed here for several days earlier this year. I am frequently in Toronto for business and this is my first time staying at the Intercontinental, Location was very convenient, since my offices are directly across the street.
My room was facing the train station, so I wasn't fortunate enough to have a view of the CN Tower.
Check in was a breeze. Front desk staff were fast and efficient, and able to answer my questions with confidence.
Room was very comfortable, with plenty of pillows. Too bad the robe provided wasn't made for people of a larger stature.
I can't comment on the quality of the restaurant, although the menu was impressive. I didn't eat there during my stay.
My checkout was 5 am, so I asked the front desk to arrange my transportation the evening before. As promised, the car was waiting and checkout took seconds,
I am returning at the end of this month for a week and am looking forward to the Intercontinental.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear gfwreporter,

Thank you for your comments. It is wonderful to hear that our team exceeded your expectations. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and it was a pleasure to do this for you during your last stay.

We were also happy to read that your accommodations were to your liking. Please feel free to contact myself or Christian Potvin so we may ensure your next upcoming stay is just as flawless. We would also love to provide you with a guestroom with a CN Tower view should one be available.

Thank you again for reviewing us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental Toronto on business. I was on 22nd floor facing the lake. The view was awesome. From my window I had the CN Tower looming over me and behind that the Rogers Centre, home of the Blue Jays baseball team. The view over the lake took in the Island Airport which was cool too. The service in the hotel was exemplary, the room spotless and the staff very courteous. As a base for seeing Toronto it was ideal as the entertainment district was only 10 minutes walk and the shops at the Eaton Centre and Hudson's Bay Company about 15 minutes. Only fly in the ointment was, rather than a kettle, the room had a rather funky drinks maker. However, as a tea drinker, I could have done with something that could boil the water for a teabag rather than having sealed sachets that produced drinks of less than the optimum temperature.

Dear Levesleys_on_tour,

Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is always our goal to ensure our guests receive exceptional “at your side” service and we are overjoyed that our team exceeded your expectations.

We would like to thank you for your feedback in regards to your preference of having a kettle in your guestroom. We understand that each guests preference differs and would love to update your profile with this information. Please contact myself or Christian Potvin directly and we will ensure that a kettle is provided in your guestroom during your future stays.

Thank you again for your candid comments and do let us know when you are planning to return.

Thorold
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary with friends and family. The staff are super friendly and helpful. We made special arrangements for my son and daughter to sing a few songs in the Azure Lounge in the front lobby and the manager was more than happy to accommodate our needs. We had an excellent weekend stay and I thank everyone at the Intercon for being key in putting us first. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Mark K,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are so happy that we were able to be part of your special celebration. It is always our goal to meet our guests needs in any way possible and it is great to hear that we were able to do this through having your son and daughter entertain us with a few songs in Azure. Our team strives to make every guests experience a memorable one and we are thrilled that we had the opportunity to do this for you on your anniversary.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back and should you need any assistance with your future reservations please do not hesitate to contact Christian Potvin or myself directly.

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This place is where we hold our annual convention (at the attached convention centre) so it is obviously a great location for that, and right across the street from union station, and there is a food court across the street as well. The rooms are very spacious and clean, well layed out and updated. The beds are a little hard for me, but nice. The rooms are spacious and in marble. My only issues are that the front desk is so small for such a big convention hotel, and I was upset that they only had two desk clerks on to check in so the check in process was slow. But they were definitely very apologetic and friendly. I also didn't like the fact there is no vending machines anywhere in the hotel so if you want a late night snack or drink buy it earlier in the day as the food bar in the room has outrageous prices. Also the wired and wireless internet was spotty and very expensive so they need to fix that to make it worth the price. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who has business here. I wouldn't really bring my family here though as it is very expensive.

Room Tip: request a corner room, they are huge, same price, and have excellent views (of the CN tower)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear mjhoc,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is wonderful to hear that our convenient location and comfortable accommodations have kept you returning over the years.

We would like to thank you for providing your insight in regards to your check-in experiences as well as your concern about the vending machines. We will be sure that your comments are addressed with the appropriate departments. We are also pleased to advise that we have a convenient store now located in our lower lobby, which sells drinks and snacks as well as other travel items for the convenience of our guests.

When planning your next visit please contact either myself or Christian Potvin. We would be thrilled to assist in anyway to show our gratitude for your loyalty and ensure you next stay is even more enjoyable.

Warm Regards,

Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Amazing room. No noise despite facing the QEW. Fabulous service and great breakfast. Hotels.com offered the same room with breakfast for $20 more than the hotels actual website offered it... so do your homework. The Easter buffet was $65 a person... looked amazing, but we didn't partake. Being right on front street makes getting around super easy. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear coffeelover5,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us this past Easter. Our team always strives to go above and beyond for our guests and we are thrilled that we had the opportunity to deliver this to you.

We would very much like to welcome you back as we are very appreciative of the comments you left. Should you be returning, please do contact either Christian Potvin or myself so we may assist with arrangements.

Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel three times now and it is quite nice. It's connected directly to the convention centre making it easy to get to your conference if that's what you are in town for.

The rooms are pretty nice although mine had a iron mark on the floor from someone putting the clothes iron down on the carpet. The bathroom is getting a little dated to.

The Eatons Centre is a bit of a walk but still easy either above ground or via the path system.

Very convenient to the Rogers centre to catch a ball game. Will stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Travelite123_13,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments. It is great to hear that you have continued to enjoy our convenient location during your past stays with us. We truly are located at the centre of it all and within in steps of the best sites to see in Toronto.

Please contact myself or Christian Potvin when making your next reservation. We would love the opportunity to show our gratitude for your continued loyalty.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

M5V 2X3

Been to InterContinental Toronto Centre? Share your experiences!