“A shelter from the cold, but falls short in charm and hospitality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Victoria

You added Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Hotel Victoria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   56 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario M5E 1G5, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #44 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Englehart, Ontario, Canada
“A shelter from the cold, but falls short in charm and hospitality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I must admit that I was slightly disappointed with this hotel, but mostly because it wasn't what I was looking for. Feeling slightly tired of the "same old, same old" downtown hotels, I was hoping for something more charming and with a historical type feel. Unfortunately, this hotel is way too modernized to achieve that. I won't complain about the size of the rooms, because that is one of the only things that links this hotel with it's charming past. The room did have a couple of older features (crown molding), which authenticated the fact that you were in a hotel that was built in 1904, but nothing much beyond that. With that being said, the room was clean, comfortable and not a bad price for a downtown location.

No parking was a bit of an issue, and I knew this going in. I didn't think it would matter, but if you had any amount of luggage then four city blocks might be more than you'd appreciate...especially in the winter.

I agree with other reviews about staff hospitality. Just not good! We walked in and were blatantly ignored by two staff members on the front desk for about 10 minutes. One was obviously on the phone (understandable). The other was doing something on a computer (obviously not reading TripAdvisor reviews about the lack of courtesy) and didn't so much as look up and acknowledge us or let us know that they would be with us shortly. This would not be a tough thing to do. When they finally did recognize that we were in the lobby, they were as friendly and helpful as they needed to be...giving no real answers regarding early check-in or anything else that we asked.

All in all, the stay was okay. Would I stay there again? Probably...but I wouldn't make it my first choice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was apprehensive about the size of the room after reading reviews. We had a room with 2 queens and it was very large, with lots of seating space. Perfectly clean and really comfortable beds. Great location - 8 minutes walk to train station and 15 minutes to shows. Only negative is the glass door to the bathroom - you can see through it when the light is on - not so fun when you are travelling with friends!

Room Tip: if you are bothered by noise, ask for a room not on the street.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Erskin L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear PamG8458,
Thank you for writing this review we love hearing guest feedback after checkout. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our housekeeping department. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back when you are in Toronto again.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

The hotel itself was beautiful and our room was lovely. We were only there for a night. The added touch of the iPod dock and free netflix was a very welcome bonus. We were there to see a show so it was the perfect location. And just across the road was an awesome burger place! Hero burgers I think it was called.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Erskin L, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hi Chieraa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit with us at the Victoria. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I was even more pleased that you found the added touch such as the Ipod dock and free netflix added to your enjoyment of your stay. I'm glad that our location was a benefit to your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in our wonderful city. Thank you.
London, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had a beautiful room. Spotless clean and very charming. Yes, it was small. I would guess a family or someone staying for a longer period would like a bigger room. But, we stayed just one night, and I'll give up a large sized room for a nice clean room any day. You must remember that this is a very old building and wasn't built for todays standards. I wasn't bothered by any noise from neighbours, but I could hear noises in the hall. But I've heard noises in the halls of every hotel I've ever stayed in. The beds were extremely comfortable, and my husband and I got a great sleep. We left the heat off all night and we were plenty warm. There is an electric baseboard heater in the bathroom that one could use to supplement the heat if needed, but we didn't need it. Location was great for us. Only a couple of blocks from Union Station and we saw plenty of restaurants in the area. Price was great and staff were very courteous, they even let us into our room early. My only regret.... we forgot to leave a tip for the housekeeper. But, we are sending something to her by mail, because we found the rooms to be exceptionally well kept.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Marilyn Y ,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay with us at the Victoria. I was absolutely over the moon when I read your review, I was so pleased that you not only found the room to be "spotless clean and very charming" but more importantly you found it to be comfortable. I'm also very glad that you were able to take advantage of or very central location and you are absolutely correct that we are surrounded by some really terrific restaurants. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all our staff and I look forward to seeing you next time you are in Toronto. Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review.
Ottawa, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I booked this hotel last minute from the hotel's website as I needed to be in Toronto for a dinner and had to depart very early the next morning via the train. I got it for a great price ($100 plus tax) for a Friday night stay.

I loved the location. Literally a few minutes walk from Union Station. The rooms are well decorated and have everything you need. They are, however, small. The room was great for my needs as I literally only spent about 6 hours sleeping in it. Had I wanted to spend a bit more time relaxing in the room or had I been travelling with someone, I would have probably wanted a bit more space.

The heating system is a little wonky. I did not appreciate how my window didn't open.

I also really disliked the pillows. They were too puffy and hard. I didn't have the energy to phone down to the front desk to see if they had others, however.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room with a window that opens. Also, I'd ask for a room that is on an upper fl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Erskin L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear RoverLake,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We do pride ourselves on being conveniently located to public transportation, shops, restaurants and attractions. Our deluxe rooms are the largest in the hotel and we do recommend this room type for guests who are staying multiple nights We do offer softer pillows which guests are able to request prior to or at check-in. If you choose to stay with us next time you are in town please advise us and we will place the softer pillows in the room for you. Thank you again for the review.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Victoria.

Pros
1. Hotel is clean and well maintained.
2. Staff were polite enough - they could be warmer and friendlier but nonetheless acceptable and par for the course in a big city.
3. Compares favorably against other establishments of similar rating and room rates in both USA and Canada.
4. Room is well-decorated, spacious and extremely comfortable with clean and new linen and towels, cable TV, iron and ironing board, coffee maker and free WiFi internet (which works!)
5. Conveniently located to shopping, restaurants and, for those keen on walking, within walking distance of the business district and many tourist attractions including the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Waterfront, Air Canada Centre (Toronto Maple Leafs), Roundhouse Park, CN Tower, Rogers Centre, Wayne Gretzky's, Roy Thomson Hall, Canada's Walk of Fame, Eaton Centre, etc.
6. Hockey Hall of Fame is only a 2 minute walk away.
7. OverEasy, the onsite restaurant, serves fantastic food for breakfast and lunch, at reasonable prices.
8. Great Burger Kitchen is a 5 minute walk away at 9 Church St. Possibly the cheapest food within walking distance of the hotel, yet the burgers were fantastic! Especially important as most restaurants in the immediate area are costly.

Cons
1. No on-site car parking. Note that there is a City of Toronto (Green P) municipal parking facility nearby at 2 Church St. It is a covered and secured parking station for about $14 per day. While the carpark is nearby, it was slightly inclined uphill and very inconvenient with large luggage bags.
2. On-site restaurant, OverEasy, is not open for dinner (wish it was!)

Summary
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, particularly at the discounted room rate I was lucky enough to secure, plus the convenience of location to the primary attractions we wanted to visit eg HHOF. Would we stay again? Yes definitely.

I am giving the Hotel Victoria 4 Stars, not as any suggestion of hotel star-classification, but as a reflection of our satisfaction with the establishment. A thumbs up!

A humungous thanks should you rate this review as helpful. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Request room facing rear courtyard. Should be quieter than rooms facing Yonge Street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear skis-gitz,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay we appreciate all guest comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting our great city of Toronto. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our housekeeping department. You are correct we are very conveniently located to shopping, tourist attractions and restaurants many of which are within walking distance. For guests who do wish to park a car, we suggest the lot located at 2 Church Street and recommend that they unload any luggage first in our loading zone. Please contact our Rooms Manager directly at roomsmanager@hotelvictoria.on.ca when you wish to return to Toronto and we will be more than happy to assist you with your accommodation needs.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We booked a four night stay at Hotel Victoria in Toronto for a holiday vacation (December, 2013). We were convinced by the internet pictures and descriptions of the hotel as a charming place to stay, and by the description in Fodor's 2012 guide to Toronto and Niagara Falls. Our bottom line: the experience was so awful that we spent a good part of the first evening in the hotel finding another place to stay and checked out the following morning. There were so many things to dislike: the room we stayed in was tiny and claustrophobic. The bathroom was so small you essentially were in danger of tripping over the toilet upon entering the bathroom. The heating system was absolutely terrible: the vent poured out heat at an extremely high temperature, and there was no way to modify it. When we turned the heat off, we were freezing. We spent the night with the heat on as low as possible and the window open, and got up continually throughout the night to adjust the heat and modify the degree to which the window was open. There was no good solution to this problem: we were alternately hot and sweating or freezing cold. Fodor's indicated that a "pro" of the hotel was "gym privileges at nearby health club." This is absolutely misleading. First, there was a hefty fee to use the "nearby" club; and in addition, it was several blocks from the hotel, which is not appealing when having to make a trip back after a work out. Another problem was location: there was not much around at night, so options for meals were limited. The only positive thing we can say about this hotel is that staff were gracious in allowing us to leave without penalty.

One final comment: for people who still use print travel guides: my experience over years is that Frommer's is consistently reliable, Fodor's is not. The only reason we used Fodor's guide is that we could not find a Frommer's that was as recent as Fodor's. I will never pay for a Fodor's guide again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathy W,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
There is someone always available at the front desk anytime of the day to assist guests with any requirements including assistance with the heating and air conditioner controls to ensure the guest is comfortable in the room.
You are correct, we do not have our own gym facilities in the hotel however we do recommend a nearby Goodlife Fitness located at 100 Yonge Street.
We do pride ourselves on being conveniently located in the heart of the Financial District surrounded by many great restaurants, shops and tourist attractions.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Been to Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!