“Not a boutique hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Victoria

Save Saved
You added Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Hotel Victoria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   56 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario M5E 1G5, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #44 of 142 Hotels in Toronto
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Not a boutique hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Firstly, this is not a boutique hotel. "Boutique" indicates chic style. This is an old hotel which has been redecorated. At times it looks like the work was done by me - crooked light switches, scratched doors. The elevator has not been renovated - the doors squeak and groan.
Secondly, the staff are not welcoming. I arrived by taxi in sub-zero temperatures. I struggled through the front door with two bags. The guy behind the front desk sat and watched me. Didn't even hold the door open, let alone take a bag. In three days, no one on the front desk ever said hello or smiled.
Contrary to another post, this is not a quiet hotel. It is in downtown Toronto. Every night there were sirens wailing and the garbage men start work at around 6am.
This is an average, older, 3 star, city center hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in room 601. King room which was very nice and a very comfortable bed. Good shower/bathtub. the room faced Yonge St. and had the usual traffic noise but nothing too bad. Great front desk people. 10 minute walk from Union Station and very close to the Subway. Lots of dining options close by. All in all a perfect night and at a great cost through the hotel website.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised how nice this property was! At a very reasonable price that was right in the middle of the city, a 10-15 minute walk to the Rogers Center and convention center, very nice restaurants and Starbucks all around, you have a great location for all. The rooms would very nice, I would say the best I have seen for a room costing under $200 per night, and I paid at the time (Jan/Feb) only $125 per night average for three nights. The beds were fantastic, very high quality bedding, fluffy pillows (maybe too fluffy, could use some smaller/thinner sleeping pillows), the furniture, deck, electronics and bathroom were all very high quality. The cleanliness and room service was one of the highest levels I have seen in any hotel, even 4-5 Star hotels. They supplied two free bottle waters, per night for room and free coffee. The free Wifi was Okay, the signal was in and out at times, but overall manageable. Wifi is very importance for me for my job, but the bandwidth was not good enough to do video Skype with my wife back in the states, so that was about the only negative. The hotel staff were very nice and helpful. I would say the only few things I really missed was a small fitness room on the property and better bandwidth on the internet and smaller (sleeping) pillows added to the super fluffy setting type. I will be coming back and staying here again, I am very happy with the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and it was a fantastic experience!
The rooms whilst not the most immense in size are newly renovated, clean and very beautifully decorated. The bed is beyond comfortable and the shower is excellent which are pretty much essential. The bathroom had a high end feel too with the shower being fitted out in high quality limestone tiles (it was immaculately clean too).

The location is perfect for getting around the city, with trains, buses & cabs literally on your doorstep. There is a huge choice of places to eat & drink as you are in such a prime location.
People on the front desk are charming and very amenable.
For the price, this is as good as it gets!!!!

If I had to choose 2 things that were ever so slightly less than *perfect* are:
In room heater- can get too hot , it is a fan, so I just used it to take the edge off the cold and then kept it off.
The ledge of the door for the shower collected a lot of water that could then spill onto the slippery tiled floor- so just be careful (I just wiped it inwards before I got out).

Other than that, this hotel, is really as great as all of the positive reviews and I would stay here again (without a question).

Room Tip: Rooms ending in *8* are perfect at the back of the hotel, very quiet and a teensy bit roomier.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax, Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here during the Grey Cup. Our room was definitely small (and I have stayed in hotels in Manhattan, NY & Europe) but nice. Front desk staff was courteous and helpful. Location is a plus, it is close to the Eaton Centre, Hockey Hall Of Fame, CN Tower, Union Station, Metro Toronto Convention Centre, the Historic Distillery District. Lots of excellent restaurants to choose from in the area as well. Also the indoor/underground PATH makes walking in the downtown more bearable when it is cold.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend here for our wedding anniversary. We chose this location for it's walking distance to Union station, the Eaton Centre, the CN tower and several good restaurants we wanted to visit. For the price we paid we expected a clean comfortable room and decent service and that's exactly what we got. The front desk was quick and efficient at check in. Our room was tiny but we knew to expect that from previous reviews. We were on the 6th floor with the infamous 'brick wall' view. You know what? Brick walls are very nice and quiet at night. We never heard a bit of traffic noise from the very busy street the hotel sits on. That being said we did hear some noise from inside the hotel itself as the rooms don't seem to be exceptionally sound proof. Nothing we couldn't tune out by turning the tv on though. Our very tiny bathroom had an excellent shower and that's all we really needed for the weekend.
There's a very good breakfast/lunch place located in the lobby behind reception, everything you could get at a Cora's. All in all we would definitely go again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the quieter your night. Also rooms with a brick wall view are even quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Victoria while in town for a UFC event and while it was a decent room, the hotel had very little to offer outside of a bed to sleep on but it did the job. Upon checking out of the hotel, the staff member told me "everything was taken care of" and I left the city.When checking my bank statements I noticed that my deposit had not been refunded so I called and was first told that they would just mail me a cheque, they didn't. They then asked if I would take a credit for my next stay (as if i would at this point), I refused and was then asked for my credit card number to be creditted for the amount of the deposit. Still I received no such refund, they then emailed me a form to fill out with my name and credit card information but even still received no refund. After 4 months of emailing and pleading for the to simply get me the $125 deposit back, they sent me a form with highlighted sections for me to fill out, sign and fax or email back to them. I did so at noon yesterday and today finally received confirmation that I will finally get my $125 deposit back... in 3-5 business days. Nice enough hotel but the staff need some customer service training, at no time did the staff attempt to reach me to get my deposit back and made me feel like it was my fault for not specifically asking for it back.

Steve
Guelph, Ontario

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Steven J, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Steve

Thank you for your recent comment on Trip Advisor

We take all guests comments and concerns seriously, we do try our best to solve all matters in a timely matter.

As we've made clear in our correspondence with you, when a guest leaves the hotel without picking up a security deposit that was left in cash or debit, it's left on our system until the guest returns to the hotel, for security reasons. In the event that a guest doesn't pick up the deposit, we mail out a cheque, which usually takes 3-4 weeks which you felt was too long to wait. We offered an alternative solution of putting the refund on your credit card, to which you agreed. Again, as per our correspondence, we had informed that we required a signed authorization from you to apply the deposit to a credit card that was not used at the hotel. Once the authorization was signed and returned to us the refund was applied immediately. I apologize for the time taken by this process but the policy is in place for the security of our guests.

Been to Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!