“Great Base for first time in Toronto” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Victoria

Save Saved
You added Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Hotel Victoria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   56 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario M5E 1G5, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
NON-REFUNABLE RATE
Ranked #42 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Leeds, UK
“Great Base for first time in Toronto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked this hotel because the price was excellent and the location seemed great for a first time stayover in Toronto.
The hotel is very well placed on Yonge street with all the shops and restaurants within easy walk, either on the street or the PATH if you know how to navigate your way around it. It was also a very short walk to the nearest subway station if you wish to use this to get around.
We arrived just after lunchtime having come in on an early flight from London, and were asked to wait about 30 minutes for our room, but the staff offered to take our cases upto our room for us so we could go get some lunch.
Upon return half hour later our room was ready as promised. We were allocated room 701 a deluxe king room as booked which was a lot roomier than we expected based on previous reviews.
We had a nice big closet for storing clothes an both our cases. and the bed was very comfortable. The traffic noise was a lot louder than we thought it would be, and perhaps the hotel should look to invest in an inner glazing pane to reduce this, but nevertheless only one of us being a light sleeper needed earplugs, and we both managed to sleep fine. The lift backed onto our room, and the noise could be heard but really wasn't loud enough to be heard over the traffic and never bothered us.
The décor and condition of the room and whole hotel in general was lovely and really did live up to expectations, though I was surprised there was no safe in the room.
We didnt have much interaction with the staff, and while I wouldn't describe them as overly friendly, but they were always polite and acknowledged us when entering or leaving the hotel.
For the price they charge this hotel is excellent value, and the little extra touches they offer like free wifi, bottled water to the room, and a newspaper everyday were great.
If staying in the city again we would use this hotel in a heartbeat, but if you want a quieter stay with more onsite facilities like gyms, restaurants, this may not be for you.

Room Tip: Room 701 is a good size room, though a bit noisy at times.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Ideally located on Yonge St not far from the Eaton shopping Centre and handy for Union Station and the Toronto subway. Yes, the rooms are quite small and can be a little claustrophobic but the room had everything i needed, bed, TV, coffee maker and a bathroom. The bed did take up most of the room so if you like a bit of space you may want to consider elsewhere but for my three day stay it was perfectly located for me and perfectly adequate for my needs and i would certainly stay again. There are plenty of bars nearby both further up Yonge St (past the Eaton center) near St Lawrence Market and in the underground shopping areas. A great hotel i'd certainly use it again.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have no view except the wall of the building opposite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This small scale boutique hotel is located a couple of blocks from Union Station in the heart of Toronto. It has a charming vibe to it, and the price was great for down town Toronto. The facility is clean, and the beds were comfortable. We only stayed one night, but the next time I go back to Toronto,I know where I will be staying.

Room Tip: Higher floors, as this hotel is right on Yonge seat. Our room faced the street (8th floor) but I wou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
St. John's
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

For many purposes, this hotel is in a fabulous location almost at the foot of Yonge Street, close to Union Station, the CN Tower, Rodgers Centre, the Sony Centre for the Arts, the Hockey Hall of Fame ... It is also in the financial district so relatively quiet during the weekends. We found a great bar that told us they were closed most weekends, except for major events like the Grey Cup. That's why we were there. There are nothing like the variety of restaurants and bars in the nearby area, nothing like, for example, further north on Yonge Street I expected a small room, but ours was *very* small, reminiscent of Europe. There was one small chair pushed under a tiny desk, but you couldn't pull the chair out very far before it bumped into the bed. I paid just over $150 a night for a three night stay, a good rate for downtown Toronto, but Saturday night at $194 I thought a bit over the top. Like some of your other reviewers, we also had a room with a view only of brick buildings you could almost touch from the window. There is a good restaurant off the lobby, but no bar and just a couch and a couple of chairs in the lobby. No newspapers to the door and no place to buy one within the hotel. The service was fine---front desk, maids--- and the modern room was spotless, but I would try another hotel next time.
Note to TripAdvisor: Your choices for the "sort of trip" are too limiting. You made me check something, so I checked "friends" which is not correct. We went for a major sporting event.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Airdrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Standard boutique hotel with quaint touches of the old building. Rooms are small and reminded me of New York hotel rooms. View was of brick wall which was very "urban" to me. I also found the staff indifferent like some other reviewers and was also concerned about the lack of security from front door to room. Perhaps the hotel will consider adding key card access in the elevator? Location was surprising close to Hockey Hall of Fame and Eaton's center. Nice hotel for a business trip except there was no room service available for dinner, which at the end of a long day working is always the easiest way to eat.
I'll stay again because of the proximity to my office, but if room service, security or spacious rooms are important to you, keep looking elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This small hotel was built after the great fire of 1904 and opened as the Mossop, becoming the Victoria in 1927. It was thoroughly modernised in 2011, with an elegant lobby and nicely decorated rooms. Mine, booked online, was at a corner of the eighth floor. It was small, with views of blank walls from both windows, but the decor was stylish, the bed comfortable and the bathroom (no tub) clean and comfortable. The staff on reception were always helpful, booking tours, organising printing and all with quiet courtesy. The location s terrific - close to the subway, a 5 minute walk to Dundas and Yonge and, for those so inclined, very near the Hockey Hall of Fame. I'd come again.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one without a view of blank walls?
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

For a hotel that is rated in the top 25 for a city like Toronto I was underwhelmed by this hotel. When you arrive they do have a nice small lobby area and the check in was relatively quickly. I was immediately turned off by the service, there was no welcome of smile just simply what name is your reservation under. Then when they discovered that my information was incorrect in the system I was handed a card and told to fill it out. Not a friendly encounter that I would expect.

The room was small but I have stayed in smaller it is an older building so it is to be expected. We went to take a shower and the water was heating up and when we called the front desk to ask if there was an issue we were given an abrupt "just wait longer". The room was clean but I can see the comments that other had made about some of the refurbishments are definitely cheaply done and coming apart.

The hotel is quite central, right near Eaton Centre, the Hockey Hall of Fame and St. Lawrence Market. I also had breakfast in the Over Easy diner downstairs and it was a great greasy breakfast which I was looking for and the the service was great even though it was very busy.

I will given the guy who was working the desk when we checked out kudos as he was very helpful to get us a car and he was even careful to make sure that it was the car he had ordered as he explained some of the companies offer the flat rate to the airport but then try and jack up the price when you get there. He was much more friendly and helpful than the woman working when we checked in.

The biggest part that turned me off about this hotel was the service, on our first night when we returned home from dinner we walked right past the front desk and the woman working didn't even look up. For a hotel without elevator card access and without safes in the room this was more of security concern to me.

All that said I wouldn't stay here again. I feel we could have gotten just as good of a rate at a better hotel with better service.

Room Tip: Just be aware that this is an old building and the rooms are smaller. If you need something bigger...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!