“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Toronto Yorkville

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Toronto Yorkville to your Saves list
InterContinental Toronto Yorkville
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   220 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1W2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Flexibility & Breakfast!
Ranked #22 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Canada
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is in a fantastic location, it was very clean, well appointed and the beds were wonderfully comfortable. We went to Signatures Rest. for a nightcap. The coffee was cold, strong and awful. I guess they did not give me a fresh cup. My husband ordered an Irish Coffee - it was terrible, cold, no cream on the top , we sent it back. They need to learn how to make coffee! We never tried the restaurant so I cannot say what the food was like. The price for downtown Toronto was pretty good.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor, could faintly hear the underground subway along Bloor Street even though w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

718 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Turkish first
Eden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel principally for its location just across the street from Koerner Hall where we were attending a concert. We arrived late, partly to avoid rush hour traffic, and were greeted warmly by the front desk staff. They awarded us with a double upgrade and we settled into a studio suite which was spacious, clean, and comfortable. We had a seating area with a sofa and armchairs plus a lovely chaise lounge near the window. The bed was wonderful. The decor is modern and eclectic, just right for a the neighborhood. Our bathroom had a soaking tub plus a separate shower, always a plus for me. While the lobby and arrival area is a bit small, that is to be expected in a busy metropolitan location. Valet or self parking is available. Note that there is a daily fee for parking of $25.00 CAD. We ate breakfast and dinner in the hotel's restaurant and were very satisfied. Service was prompt and professional. The food was scrumptious. We loved the banquette seating and the quiet atmosphere. With such good food, it is important to note that the fitness facilities and lap pool on the top floor are clean and top notch. Also, there are many shopping areas and museums within walking distance. We saw the Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera exhibit at the Art Gallery of Ontario and attended a FANTASTIC concert by Alex Cuba at Koerner Hall. Our stay was too short! We will definitely be back to experience the great hospitality offered by the staff of the Intercontinental Hotel Yorkville.

Room Tip: Join their Priority Club. Clubs facing the interior courtyard are quieter than street side rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Building in general looks dated, or not exactly dated but shall we say "boutique". Building has this dark, dim overall feeling. If you have ever been to those Asian 4/5 stars you will see the big difference - modern, BRIGHT, opposite of this hotel. I don't blame them because I know the hotel standard in North America is low, and another reason is that most buildings in NA are those old historical buildings.

Room is very dark too. Not enough lights. Again I like those modern bright feeling, and this being dark & yellow'ish just makes me feel, lack of a better word, pressed, or contained.

Washroom in the suite is just okay size, not very big. Washbasin area feels a little crowded. Shower is very strong which is very good. Bathtub is very small.

Agraria brand toiletries, despite being famous and high end, is really not very good - weird smell being one, and irritation to the skin being the second. Again not blaming the hotel because they delivered what they think is high end, but honestly l'Occitane would be better for health.

No microwave in the hotel to use.

Bed and pillow are VERY comfortable. Some hotels I've been to have very soft bed and pillows. I hate them. I hate too soft pillows because my head will sink into the middle of the pillow and my entire face will be covered by the sides of the pillow. Here the bed and pillows are just the right firmness. The best sleep ever had.

The "Canadian" breakfast was typical breakfast with sausage, bacon, egg, etc for you to choose. Unlimited juice re-fill - a small detail but I like it very much.

The black door cards feel very sexy. :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear silencer-DDD,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comment regarding your most recent stay with us. I am very glad you enjoyed the breakfast and that you had a restful sleep!

Also, thank you for your feedback regarding the look of our hotel and the overall asthetics. We pride ourselves in being one of the only Toronto's luxury boutique hotels, and there is a certain 'luxurious comfort' feel to the hotel and warmth of our hotel staff that is characteric of the hotel style.

We look forward to your return!

Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I've stayed here for business three times in the last year, so I can probably comment on consistency as much as on the overall experience.

For what I perceive to be a business-oriented hotel, it seems that the price is always fair. The rooms are much larger and better-appointed than the Royal York, where I stayed on my penultimate visit to Toronto for business. Also, I sometimes have a problem with the responsiveness of air conditioning units, even in relatively expensive hotels. The AC at the Intercontinental works great.

The location is not perfect for downtown, but it's perfect for where I needed to be. Toronto's subway system is pretty good for getting from the hotel to the heart of downtown if need be.

It probably isn't a selling feature for a lot of business travelers, but having a McDonald's half a block away is a selling feature for me.

What made me rate it as excellent this time around was the handwritten welcome note from the manager (great penmanship, too!) and fruit plate that were awaiting when I arrived, and the friendly and helpful young woman at the front desk when I checked in.

I don't really need much when I travel for work. A comfortable bed, a decent gym, iron and ironing board, high-speed internet, and a convenient location pretty much do it for me. When the staff go the extra mile, it makes it just that much better.

If there was one thing I wish was a bit better, it was the gym. They seem to keep the windows open rather than using the air conditioning, which makes it a bit warm in there for my liking, and the gym is a bit small and missing some equipment I'd like to use. For those that like to swim, the pool is a bit small, too.

Still, both are adequate, and everything else was excellent.

Room Tip: I read a review by one traveler who had complained about noise in a courtyard room. I've overlo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Arrogant_Worm,

It was a pleasure knowing you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took notice of the little things that sets us apart; the handwritten note, the comfort of the AC unit, the welcome amenity.

Thank you, as well, for the comments regarding our fitness center and swimming pool. They are duly noted and will be discussed with our leadership team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville!

Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I along with another couple stayed for 4 nights in November. We had never stayed before but it did not disappoint. The rooms were spacious and well appointed, and we were fortunate enough to have rooms facing Bloor St. with views of the Royal Conservatory of Music and the Royal Ontario Museum.

The staff were very helpful with all requests.

We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Bloor St.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear MikeLynda,
Thank you so much for your kind words!

We are very glad you enjoyed your time with friends at the InterContinental Yorkville and that you enjoyed the view from your room while here.

We look forward to your return!

Belleville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Rooms are very well appointed, and there's the veneer of luxury abounding throughiout the property. It is well situated for those wanting to access the ROM, Yorkville, and the upscale Bloor St shopping district. Trying to park, even just to check in, is a hassle on a busy day - it is nonexistent for the average person, so one is more or less obliged to accept valet parking just to save the headache. The property is a U-shape, with a courtyard in the middle. This courtyard has an open-air bar, so when it gets going on a summer evening, the noise filters into your room. OK if you enjoy that kind of thing, I think, but for those of us who like to sleep it would be a show-stopper - so ensure you get an outside room as the street noise wold likely be a lot less than the bar noise and music that kept us up until very late.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
simonantoine, General Manager at InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear William L,
Thank you kindly for taking the time ro post your comments and review following your most recent stay with us.

It was a pleasure reading that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and the spaciousness of our guestrooms. I noted your comment regarding parking; while it is sometimes difficult to park in a busy dowtown area such as Yorkville, we do have a Green P parking garage adjecent to our hotel, on the West side. It is easily accessible and quite convenient if you do not wish to uilize our valet services.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I only stayed one night and was lucky enough to get a Studio Suite. Great room - spacious, clean, comfortable, large flat screen TV, separate sitting area. Service was very helpful and nice, and breakfast good and not too pricey (they dont do a buffet which I like). Good gym and nice rooftop pool. To get 5 stars they need to update /upgrade the bathrooms, mine looked a little worn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear beautytravelerLondon,

Thank you for your lovely comments!

It is a pleasure knowing you enjoyed your stay in one of our Studio Suites, and that you had a chance to enjoy our pool and fitness center. It is a great way to unwind after a long day of meetings...

We will, in fact be in the progress of updating our guestrooms bathrooms very shortly and I do hope you will visit us soon to see the improvements!

Simon Antoine

Been to InterContinental Toronto Yorkville? Share your experiences!