“4, not 5 stars, but very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Free!
Ranked #3 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“4, not 5 stars, but very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were scheduled to go to New York City this past weekend for our anniversary but unfortunately had to cancel due to the terrible storm and decided at the last minute to go and try out the new Four Seasons for a mini vacation in the city in which we live. The hotel is beautiful inside and impressive. I was expecting some minor glitches that seem to come with new properties and they were there but we are pretty easy going. The room was gorgeous and large with a very serene colour palate and finishes. The spa is very impressive and large and we had several treatments there both days and enjoyed them immensely. We ate lunch and dinner in the D-Bar and breakfast in the Cafe Bouloud. The food was good and the service was ok. We encountered some problems with access to the bar. IE when it is busy, you are put on a waiting list to get into the bar (to stand at the bar) and then you are out on a subsequent list to get a table. They do not take reservations, even if you are guest and it seemed like most of the patrons were locals. It is clearly a busy local spot and this adds to the buzz in the room but they may want to add some sort of policy that better accommodates guests. The lobby lounge in the Mandarin Oriental NYC holds back reserved tables for guests and this seems to work. The other problem relates to room service. The hotel was very kind in sending up a dessert and a note congratulating us on our anniversary. We looked forward to having it in our room after dinner and I bought a small bottle of dessert wine to go with it from the liquor store and called room service asking them to send up to small dessert wine glasses. They of course said yes but told me that they would have to charge me a corkage fee and glass fee, their words not mine (for my own wine in the room!) I politely questioned it as I have never come across such a silly hotel charge and voice on the phone was adamant. Upon check out I raised the issue again asking for the fee to be waived and the staff member at the desk said she would remove it and speak to her manager about it. Later when I came back to collect my checked bags, the same staff member informed me that the charge would indeed go back onto my bill as it was hotel policy. At this point our car was waiting and I didn't want to sour a lovely weekend over $18.00 so we left. So here I am writing all this about $18.00. Four Seasons is in my opinion, the best hotel company out there and it is there service that makes it. Perhaps they may want to reconsider this type of thing as a profit center though as it was very irritating in both its policy and the way it was handled. I have made similar requests at out Four Seasons properties in London, Paris, Florence, and Amman in the last year and have never encountered this. It is little issues like this that prevent me from rating this 5 stars. Hopefully these are just growing pain issues and can be resolved.

Room Tip: The hotel is on the lower floors of a condominium tower so try and get a room in the 15-21 floor ran...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dimitrios Z, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful weekend in Toronto, and my warmest congratulations on your anniversary. Thank you for your feedback regarding the delivery charges. It is your genuine feedback that enables us to provide the best service to our guests, and I thank you for your comments. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Four Seasons soon.

Warmest Regards,

776 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Came to celebrate my friends wedding, first time back to the new Four Seasons and I felt right back home. The spaces are so generous and special in design. Our room had a great view of downtown Toronto, a freestanding round bathtub and very elegant and contemporary materials. The TV in the bathroom mirror was a great discovery.
We had brunch in the Daniel Boulud restaurant the next day and I must say the food alone is worth a trip. Will definitely be back soon!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for writing your review. I'm so pleased to hear that this was your first stay at our brand-new Toronto hotel, and that you felt right at home! I am glad to hear you'll definitely be back soon, and I look forward to welcoming you on your next stay with us.

Best Regards,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary at the Four Seasons Toronto recently and it was the most perfect hotel experience we have ever had. Our first impression of the lobby left us speechless! So romantic and so beautiful! The art work is deightfully unique and whimsicle, it felt very special. Our one bedroom suite was modern, very comfortable and had an absolutely gorgeous bathroom. Dinner at Cafe Boulud was really outstanding!!! Everything we had was exceptional and I can't recommend this restaurant enough! Great atmosphere, seemless service, beautiful and delicious food. I am a fan! Drinks afterwards at dbar were very lovely as well and was the perfect ending to a perfect evening! Our highlights: the service, the food, the decor, the doorman/valet service was also great! Thank you Four Seasons. We'll be back to try the Spa very soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary! I'm so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us on such a special occasion. I will certainly share your feedback with the Cafe Boulud, dbar, and valet teams. All of us at Four Seasons look forward to welcoming you back to the Spa very soon!

Warmest Regards,
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I loved the rooms in this brand new hotel. Intelligently designed with clean lines and beautiful materials as well as interesting lighting options and intriguing details. The bathrooms in particular are stunning and feature two ways to access, which allows for varied and interesting space experiences.

I attended some banquet functions and meetings and the facilities and services provided are a class act. An excellent hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I'm pleased to hear that you loved the guestrooms. They were designed by famed design house Yabu Pushelberg, and are warm, inviting, and contemporary in design. Business travellers frequently comment that they enjoy the floor-to-ceiling windows and well-designed work stations. I look forward to welcoming you back to Four Seasons soon.

Best Regards,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just got back from a week's stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Toronto (the new one!) and can't say how thankful I am they've reopened. I was starting to lose faith in the Toronto hotel scene since their closing in February of this year.

The hotel is stunning, definitely an improvement over the old property (as you can read in the reviews below from prior to the closing). We reserved a deluxe room (one-up from the basic room type) because we were told the washrooms were larger. I have to say the washroom was one of my favourite things, all the hallmarks of a five-star hotel bathroom. The soaps were really nice (don't remember the brand name, but not the same as the old property). Large soaking bathtub and large rain shower head and TV behind the mirror.

Room was really nice and had a light colours throughout... a refreshing change from some of the other 5-star entrants to the Toronto marketplace where you almost need a flashlight to get around the motif is so dark. The spa was also gorgeous, especially at night. We went for a dip in the pool after sunset and the atmosphere was calm and completely relaxing... I only wish I had thought to book a spa treatment.

What I liked most was the fact that there were a lot of the familiar faces around which is what made the old hotel so fab. I saw Lilou and Georgina at the Concierge Desk, the blonde gentleman at the Front Desk as well as Peter and others at the door whom recognised me and made me feel at home even though it was my first itme staying.

Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant or bar, they were definitely busy as other reviewers suggested but opted instead to enjoy Room Service one night. I would recommend to others the Cobb Salad with lobster, it was really good (perhaps one of the best Cobb's I've had). And I am by no stretch a foodie, so enjoyed a chocolate-oreo milkshake for dessert which was also very good.

The only downside might be the unsightly work being done on the one side of the entrance for a garden that is being built. Very minor negative, and I am sure once its complete it will finish of the area quite nicely... but right now it is fenced off and looks a bit awkward.

As the title says, I am so glad the Four Seasons has re-opened in Toronto so I can be reminded what true five-star service is all about! Looking forward to my return!

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe Room, the washrooms are divine!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

stay Oct 2012, it had just open, staff was excellent, from the time you got out of your car, until you were escorted to the elevator to go up to your room, there was a staff memebr at hand.
room was clean twice a day. great location in downtown Toronto, lots of restaurants and entertainment in easy access.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our brand-new Four Seasons Hotel Toronto. I agree with you, we have excellent staff, and our location in Yorkville is fantastic -- we are just steps from great shopping, museums, and restaurants. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Kind Regards,
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed a Saturday brunch in the new Four Seasons Cafe Boulud. Lovely atmosphere, fabulous art on display, and outstanding service. Even the managers are involved, enquiring about satisfaction and personally taking care of individual requests. Be prepared for a leisurely pace in terms of service of courses - a relax and enjoy experience - and a delicious selection of items. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!