“worth a visit even if your not booked in” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Royal York

You added The Fairmont Royal York to your Saves list
The Fairmont Royal York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Front Street W, Toronto, Ontario M5JIE3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Royal York Festive Guide
Ranked #37 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“worth a visit even if your not booked in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Beautiful hotel with excellent customer service,The hotel is well worth a visit the lobby and ballrooms are unbelievable like going back to the 40's in a good way ,as it very classy.Rooms ok although too many patterns but that may just be my taste.The rooms are very clean.We left two jackets in the wardrobe and when we phoned from our next location(Conneticuit) they happly said they had them and would send them on,which to me was wonderful service up until i had $80 taken off my credit card for postage.After weeks of phoning the manager and waiting for her to get back to me we finally had the money refunded.We had checked with the parcel force who delivered it and they said for weight and distance it should of cost $10.LET THIS BE A WARNING CHECK YOU'VE NOT FORGOTTEN ANYTHING.This was there only let down.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hamburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

There is nothing objectionable at the Fairmont Royal York - its location is just perfect, you can reach it right from the subway station or rather from Toronto's underground walkway.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious - people who like a Colonial style will love the interior decoration. The Hotel lobby is very impressive - take a picture of the beautiful watch! The service is friendly and prompt.

The fitness center is very good.

You can reach most of Toronto's downtown attractions by foot easily.

All in all, we can fully recommend the Fairmont Royal York.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Danville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

How many times have you stayed at a five star hotel and were told by the Fairmont Gold woman "obviously this hotel is not for you. Nothing makes you happy.". Wow! Did she really say that to a customer? It was like "please don't ever come back here because you are an annoying guest.". Ever since I had issues here, it just kept getting worse and worse. I am actually very shocked after staying here for 3 weeks and having to change 3 rooms. Obviously, they never wanted me to come back and I won't. And yesterday was Sept 11th and I had friends I had lost on my mind. I didn't need more stress from a "service" I was paying for.

I had this fantasy that since I was staying on the executive floor, I would get a decent room and be in one place for the full 3 weeks. I over packed since my assumption was that I would unpack once and pack once. I usually go to 3-4 countries in 3 weeks. I needed a home base as I was starting a new job and needed to focus on work. I had just been a caregiver for the last few weeks before this trip so I was at capacity. And on my first day in Toronto, I had to go to a funereal.

This hotel is old.. It is not built with easy access. There is a flight of stairs at the entrance where the limo driver dropped me off. I waited for someone to help me with my bags, which I usually easily wheel all the way to my room. I went to the special lounge where someone very cheerful greeted me and informed me that I was booked for two nights. I had to let him know that it was actually 3 weeks and that I want to be in one place for the whole stay. I should have known then. I won''t bother you with all the details - here are some highlights:

I had to move 3 times because of them telling me yes, we have wireless. No, we don't have wireless. And after telling them how important it was for me to have wireless (I am recovering from an injury) they put me in a room with no wireless access. I told them I was allergic to feathers. I woke up at 3 am with an allergy attack from feathers. On an executive floor, there was screaming and yelling from 2-6 am one night. No sleep for me. The next day I was told that they had to ask the guests across the hall from me to leave the hotel. And it doesn't matter because it is an old hotel and you can hear EVERYTHING through the walls. One of the guys who worked there decided to share with me some stories about this.

I hate drama and this was just drama all the time. I felt uncomfortable going to the lounge for breakfast and drinks because the people who worked there made me feel uncomfortable as I was the problem guest. I chose not to go to the lounge as a result.

The scariest part was when I woke up on a Monday morning and found a hand written note from another guest under my door claiming they saw someone steal something from my room and could I knock on their door before noon. What??? I felt so awful that another guest was contacting me directly. It wasn;t about stealing anything but the fact that another guest was trying to contact me directly was so creepy. I have been travelling all over the world and this was the creepiest thing that has ever happened. They ended up calling security and I had to waste my time giving a report. Later, I was told it was a prank. At a 5 star hotel? What kind of security is there for a single woman?

They did upgrade me to a suite. They did provide me with fruit and sparkling water. But they did not provide a good experience. A home away from home. They did not offer to comp me for the night where the guest they kicked out kept me up all night.

Their staff went on strike and it probably explains why they did not put the roll of toilet paper on and just left it on the floor for me to change, even when they were not on strike. And how, I was gone from my room for 7 hours and no one came to clean it, when there was no strike. I guess my expectations are way too high and I am just a difficult guest, as I was told?

I know, I should have switched hotels. But I was tired and stressed. It is my fault for wanting to give them another chance. But after checking out and being told I was the difficult guest, I am done. I am sad. I am in shock at how bad the experience was and how no one really cared. The irony is that those who know me know that I am low maintenance. I just wanted a good experience. Is that too much to ask when you pay for a 3-week hotel stay at a Fairmont hotel?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
travelmelToronto, Manager at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
We are contacting the guest to review the concerns cited in their comments. The service described is not to our standards and out of the ordinary. We will make every effort to see that our valued guest is listened to and cared for. The concerns will be investigated and addressed.
Hitchin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Our stay at the Fairmont was at the end of an extended 3 week holiday in Canada. The Fairmont was by far the worst. of our trip. We have been lucky to stay in a lot of nice hotels but the Fairmont is selling itself on its past reputation now. Our room was very dingy and shabby with stained carpets, tired furniture and a bathroom that clearly needed work on it. The hotel had been booked for over 6 months but despite that we were put in a twin bedded room and my husband and I shared a double bed. Our sons were on a totally separate floor! Our bed was awful. Clearly it was very old as it dipped severely in the middle which meant very little sleep for the 3 nights of our stay. The service in the hotel was appalling. The only saving grace to the stay was the afternoon tea we had in the Library Bar.
What a sad end to our visit to Canada where we found the people generally to be both very friendly and polite and everywhere very clean. The Fairmont proved the only exception to that.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed at the Royal York because they had a special on for a CN tower tour. Great deal but that is all that was great. I have stayed here several times over the years and the customer service declines with each visit. First we checked in at noon and check in was at 3 but ok because we went to a ballgame anyways. We were TOLD to take our bags to luggage check. Last year the bellman came and got the bags for us. We were told our bags would be in our room. We returned at 5pm and no bags. We had to cancel our dinner reservations. Called the conseirge who idi not apologize just old us we're behind you'll get them when we can get them. We returned at 8pm in hopes of having a swim before bed but again no luggage. I called consierge to be told if you checked in at noon why ae you only caling now??? Then placed on hold for 7 mins, then he picked up the reciever and hung up without explanation. I called back to hear...oh you again...put on hold again and again hung up on. When i called back for the 3rd time I was abruptly told they were on their way and al he said was ..."happy??" Heck no i'm not happy. These are the people threatening to strike on this company!!! When I asked his name he refused to give it to me as did the staff at the front desk. i have since sent a letter to management. If he can't be courteous to a customer I am sure there are others looking for a job that would be. He was not treated in a rude manner by myself or my husband. We simply and understandibly wanted our clothing!!!! We'll take our business elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

When I book a upper class hotel with the name Fairmont, there is a certain level of service expectation. Otherwise, one might as well go to a Holiday Inn which is basically what this hotel boils down to. I stayed for 5 nights. In all that time, not one single time did the door man ever open the door for me. Granted that is not a big deal but again I have stayed at 4 Seasons where I had never even touched the door once. When I checked into my room, nobody ever offered to take my bags up. While the room was not horribly dirty, it is by no means when I expect in a Fairmont. The vents were dusty and rusted, there are obvious signs of mold, peeling wallpaper. I paid extra for an ocean view room. Have a look at my photo. I think I paid extra for the view of the telus building instead of the ocean. I can see ocean in between the buildings though. Thank goodness the pool is very beautiful and the restaurant still retains that Fairmont service. But everything else is pretty bad. The door to my bathroom wouldn't stay open so the maid just propped it open with a trash bin. While I expected the building to be old, I have seen old hotels that look and feel classic and classy. This place just feels like a dump, dirty carpets etc. Shocked that Fairmont would allow a property to become so run down. The major plus, location. Now I know why the rates were below $200/night. Sticking to real 5 star hotels next time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

We went to a convention held right at the hotel and chose to travel by train. An excellent choice as all we had to do when we arrived was walk directly across the street to the hotel.

I have stayed here many times before and (as always) the staff are first class.

This time I used an upgrade coupon (although I was quite prepared for there to be no availability due to the large number of guests). I was pleasantly surprised in that not only was there a Suite available, but it was roomy - some rooms at this hotel can me small due to the nature of the construction and age of the building - clean, and comfortably air conditioned.

My favourite place to relax is the Library Bar. Aside from the sheer history of the room, its dark wood paneling and comfortable chairs are an excellent setting for a nice drink and a small bite to eat.

For an excellent dinner experience, the Beni Hana Restaurant offers a filing meal and entertaining culinary experience.

Check-in, check-out and luggage storage were all fast, courteous and hasstle-free.

Parking is expensive but it's still better to have a valet park you versus hunting for a spot in the expansive, cavernous parking complex under the hotel, as it is also adjoined to 3 large bank towers. That is why I chose to take the train. If your business or leasure trip keeps you largely downtown or even on the subway line, you don't need a car.

Finally, I made the short (3-4 block) walk to the Eaton Centre for a little shopping. You are in the middle of the whole city here, so shopping is not hard to come by.

Highly recommend this hotel for its historical value and all-around comfort.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Fairmont Royal York? Share your experiences!