“Charmed for a night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Royal York

You added The Fairmont Royal York to your Saves list
The Fairmont Royal York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Front Street W, Toronto, Ontario M5JIE3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #26 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Charmed for a night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

It was an unplanned stay at the hotel after a night out. The location was perfect as my friend had a train to catch the next morning, and the concierges made everything feel really comfortable. The building and the lobby made me feel as if I stepped into scenes from the past, and it was easy to immerse myself into a little story and pretend and play the role.

Unfortunately, the charm broke once I awoke up in the morning and looked closely. The room is just outdated and all the cleaning can't salvage the time, like an old, rusty kitchen. It seems they've forgotten about this cheap, old room withering away inside. Too bad that opening one of the doors on the maze-like floor breaks the charm.

Still, it's one of those hotels that I'd go for a travel experience rather than a simple night's sleep. Next time, I'll plan ahead so I can spend some time to see what the other doors hold than running away at the chime of a bell.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Vernon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and being aware of the ongoing construction asked for a room away from the noise. We were placed next to the stairwell on the 7th floor and woke up to jackhammering in the staircase the next morning. The jackhammering only stopped for coffee and lunch breaks all day Monday and Tuesday. I called the front desk on Monday and was given a scripted apology and told the noise would stop at 6:00pm. When the Bell Hop showed up at 11:00am on Tuesday morning we had yell to communicate. I asked the Bell Hop if the hotel was full and his reply was a negative.
I would suggest that the hotel management and construction crews communicate to identify the areas that are going to be disruptive to the guests. They could then try and ensure the guests are placed away from activities similar to jackhammering.
I am a Fairmont Presidents Club member and am very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First off, another excellent iteration of the Fairmont Brand. Location is right in the heart of the financial district with a 2 min stroll to Air Canada Center. Lots of restaurants and other attractions / shopping close.

Upon arrival there is quite a bit of construction around the hotel (like most of Toronto) and this impacts the traditional traffic pattern where one must go around the back to valet park upon arrival. The signage is good however, even if I didn't see it, and the staff are extremely pleasant and helpful.

Check in was a breeze at the Presidents club line (free to sign up and solid benefits for a few stays). The hotel is renovating floor by floor and I secured a renovated room on the second floor. Beautiful room with a good blend of modern and traditional design elements. Room service was spot on - decently priced as well and quick. The gym is excellent and open 24 hours lots of weights and cardio equipment. The pool facility is beautiful with a limited lap pool, kids pool and hot tub. There is a variety of restaurants in the hotel; I was able to try the lobby restaurant for brunch twice and library bar for drinks. Both are staffed with some of the best waiters in the business and the food / drinks are without any complaint.

Lots of history to this property - pictures of the dedication by the Queen and history of Toronto. Many original historical details. Did not have a chance to check out many of the shops or businesses within the hotel. Concierge was very good as well on the main floor with all requests.

Fairmont is a chain that does a very good job and this hotel is no exception.

Room Tip: Ask for a luxury room - this will be renovated. Also join the Presidents Club.
Green Features: Same as other chains - good effort to conserve and reuse where possible.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed here last weekend as part of a large group celebrating a significant milestone. We had not stayed at the Royal York for a number of years and were very pleased. The room was clean and well appointed, the toiletries of a good standard, and the ambience relaxing. We were treated most courteously at check in and enjoyed the buffet breakfast the following day. While somewhat pricey, the selection was extensive and included unlimited coffee and juice. We shall choose the Royal York more frequently in the future.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Scottsdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

No help with bags, and you had to go up stairs. Was assured I had a quiet room and it was across from the elevators. Lots of poorly planned construction issues. Long way to conference center. Underwhelmed.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Bellport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I just returned from a conference at the hotel; we traveled with our two young sons and stayed for three nights. Upon check-in, the desk agent saw that we had kids with us, and upgraded us to a suite (free of charge) so we would have more room. Our room was gorgeous and immaculate, with amazing views of the CN Tower and skyline. We used the pool and health club; it was very clean and the water was warm. Everyone we dealt with at the hotel went above and beyond to be kind and helpful. I would absolutely stay here again, and would recommend to anyone looking for a gorgeous hotel that is friendly to kids. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is very nice; lots of places to eat, easy walk to subway, CN Tower, Rogers Center, Ripley's Aquarium, etc. We were out after dark and felt totally safe. Toronto is a great city, and this is a great home base to see it from.

Room Tip: Great views on the 18th floor!
Green Features: Green linen program in place; hotel uses glass instead of plastic.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Fredericton, New Brunswick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Wifi is extra, and parking is a lot extra ($53? Come on!). Rooms are just average. I called the night before for my car to be brought up at 6AM the next morning because I needed to be at the airport and it wasn't ready, which made the trip very rushed. My room was uncomfortably warm even with the heat off and the window open...and my neighbors were really loud (which is saying something since I am only in my twenties).
On the positive side of things; the staff were friendly, the hotel is beautiful, and the library bar was great!
I would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Been to The Fairmont Royal York? Share your experiences!