“Piece of history” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Royal York

You added The Fairmont Royal York to your Saves list
The Fairmont Royal York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Front Street W, Toronto, Ontario M5JIE3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Royal York Festive Guide
Ranked #37 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Piece of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I must say that this hotel offers such a nice look into opulence from yesteryear. Check-in was very quick and friendly. Stayed on the 17th floor with a decent view. Rooms are a little small and bathrooms are a little outdated. Very quiet and well maintained. Construction in front of hotel waas not that big of a deal. Self parking overnight right behind the Royal York is very reasonable for Toronto. I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
White Salmon, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

After spending four nights at the Royal York, I comprised a list of Pros and Cons. I truly believe that some of the other reviews on this hotel are really unfair, so hopefully this list will help those contemplating a stay at this hotel.

Pro's:
1) LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!! You could not pick a better location for this hotel to be in. Five minute underground walk from the Air Canada Centre and hockey games, next door to the Union Square train station and amazing underground shopping within minutes of your hotel room door.
2) AMAZING SERVICE: Honestly, I am picky and every single hotel employee we talked to was fabulous. A big shout out to Ryan (concierge) and Shamin (server at Epic).
3) Great restaurants: There are three to choose from: Epic, Benihana and Pipers. All are different and offer something for everyone.
4) Hot Water: This sounds silly, but sometimes when staying at a hotel, it's really hard to get a hot bath...not here! I actually had to be carefully when filling up the tub..the water is scorching hot, which is a huge bonus in my book!
5) Quiet...we stayed on the 17th floor and couldn't hear any of the outside construction or traffic noise. Ask for an upper floor and the staff will accommodate you if they can.
6) Coffee/Tea Service in the room: This is a bonus that you sometimes don't find in upper end hotels. Our room had a Keurig, which was great to cover that first cup of coffee to start the morning.
7) ALL ROOMS ARE BEING UPDATED IN PREPARATION FOR THE 2015 PANAM GAMES!!!

Con's:
1) As of today, rooms are dated, but this will change within the year as each floor is being updated and renovated. Every staff member we spoke to is very excited about this!
2) I can't tell a lie...our room was less than squeaky clean upon check in. It did get better as we continued our stay, but it could have been cleaner.

I found the Royal York to be a great hotel with fabulous potential...once all the room are updated, look out, because this is going to be the place to stay! Give it a chance...the hotel staff will not disappoint you!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Excellent deluxe room. Only thing was a cracked coffee cup - but the setting was impeccable. Excellent breakfast buffet in the EPIC restaurant.
If you join the Fairmont Presidents Club you get a day of free internet and a few other "perks".
Lobby level elevator indicator lights were not working but the elevators WERE superb.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We just spent the weekend with our four tear old son at the Royal York and had an excellent experience! Great room, great hotel and pool, but best was the staff! Everyone we encountered from front desk to maids on our floor were pleasant, knowledgeable and really made us feel welcomed!

Room Tip: Opt for a suite, worth the extra$ especially when traveling with children.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is a hotel with an interesting history, classy lobby and good location that you really want to like. In fact, it seems churlish to be critical. However, after a couple of stays I'm left relatively neutral. For what should be a top hotel it really doesn't deliver. At check in I waited in their President's Club line for 20 minutes with only one person in front of me and one at the desk - there was only one person checking people in. I suppose I could have used the pre-check in but the wait was annoying anyway. To be clear it is difficult to get a reservation in the first place which, I guess, means that this is a popular hotel. During the first stay I was awakened by some unidentifiable commotion within the hotel first thing in the morning, each morning. In addition, the elevators stopped between floors twice during the stay. I was in the remodeled section during my second stay and was awakened by a tv that I could hear clearly through the wall at 2 a.m. I don't think the tv was playing loudly. I think the wall was thin.

There are some nice features. My rooms were small but fine. Nice bed, big tv, room safe, etc. The gym is ok and the Presidents Club delivers workout clothes to your room - very convenient. The lounge/bar/restaurant in the lobby is good with a nice menu and efficient service. The location is great if you want to be near the train station or the financial district.

In any event, I like the Fairmont chain and want to like the Royal York but I'll probably look elsewhere for my next trip. I checked with others in my organization that use the hotel and they were also disappointed.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
RoyalYorkHotel, Edwin Frizzell, Regional Vice President & General Manager at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear TravellingColoradans,

Thank you for your feedback. While we are happy to know that you find our guestrooms comfortable and enjoy our hotel restaurants and great location, we are sorry to learn of your feeling of disappointment with your experiences. The delays during check-in and issues with noise disturbance are truly out of the norm and we will ensure that further follow up takes place. We hope for an opportunity to welcome you back and truly wow you with our service in the future.

Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I admit I am enamoured with this hotel. First of all many years ago, when I arrived in Canada I had a job as an extra on a film being shot here so my first job was at this grand old hotel every day while shooting. Fast forward many years and I have stayed here any time I needed a hotel in Toronto. The location cannot be beat, especially if you arrive to Union Station. The staff are all wonderfully helpful. The best of this place though is the cozy atomosphere. I love hotels with rooms that are asthetically pleasing, real windows that open, wonderful beds and history. Yes, this hotel is older but, it has that certain something many newer hotels just cannot match. My last stay there was some construction and I was told I had a room with blocked windows. I asked if anything else was available and was immediately moved to a huge King room. That is indicative of how I am always treated here. I love checking in then going to library bar for a quiet bite to eat and a drink before sleeping. Join the President's club for a few extra perks such as free wifi. If you want a room that feels like home, a gorgeous sleep, great service and a wonderful location then stay here. Yes, it is pricey but, no more so than any major city centre hotel and well worth it. Sometimes, I consider staying elsewhere in Toronto but, I never have given in and done so. I highly doubt I ever will stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Speak with hotel staff about your room preferences, they will always try to find a room that suits y...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Dear RAfree,

It is wonderful to learn of your personal connection to the hotel! We appreciate your loyalty over the years and our team will be thrilled by your positive feedback on their service and our warm hotel ambience. We look forward to our earliest opportunity to welcome you back to your Toronto home away from home.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Currently I am lying comfortably on an exquisite bed in my 6 th floor room. Although it is not a big room, it is well appointed, with fridge, flat screen t.v. and all the regular fixtures of every other hotel. This is an old hotel, with attentive and friendly staff. However, as I traveled for over a month through Eastern Canada, this is the ONLY hotel who charges for Wi-Fi connection. Really??? The rooms are not cheap, and any of the services provided by the hotel, such as wine at the bar, a 6 oz. bottle of club soda or room service are pricey. But really, Wi-Fi for almost $15./day. Not acceptable. Any, and I mean any, business today provides Free Wi-Fi. A beautiful old hotel, and this makes it look like nit-picky.

Room Tip: Cheaper to use your "Plan" than hotel Wi-Fi. Great beds, linens and pillow.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeTLondon,

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to learn that your guestroom is well appointed with an exquisitely comfortable bed and you have found our team attentive and friendly. We are happy to offer complimentary WiFi in all hotel restaurants and are looking into options for public areas. We are also in the process of conducting an infrastructure update to ensure that our WiFi delivers superior speed and connectivity to support the related fees for the service. We will continue to offer complimentary in-room access to all Fairmont President's Club members, there is no cost to enrol in the program and it has many great benefits.

Edwin

Been to The Fairmont Royal York? Share your experiences!