“A swinging city” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Royal York

Save Saved
You added The Fairmont Royal York to your Saves list
The Fairmont Royal York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Front Street W, Toronto, Ontario M5JIE3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #40 of 141 hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersBronze level
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
“A swinging city”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Fairmont was headquarters for a BHS convention so many of our friends were there. Fun! Both the hotel and the city are undergoing re-construction, but they are doing their best. If you are bothered by noise ask for an inside room. Charge for wi-fi, but free if you join the Presidents Club which is free to join, easy online before you go. Restaurant is expensive, but the hotel is connected to PATH, the underground system along which you will find shopping, food, booze, subway and train connections, etc. the Fairmont is close to several arenas for conventions and sports.

Room Tip: Parts of the building are under reconstruction as well Front Street where some work is done at night...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
It is wonderful to know you enjoyed being with friends during the BHS convention. We are happy to learn our location and connection to the PATH were appreciated during your stay. Thanks for sharing your suggestions to future guests to ensure enjoyable stays.

2,688 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

i love the hotel however i had an experience that marred my stay. firstly i request for and early check in and thankfully it was honored. however after 45 min of check in someone (a hotel employee) opens the door to my room and says sorry. i figured it was an honest mistake so i didn't complain. At about 9 am the next morning while we were sleeping another hotel employee opens the door and again says sorry. this time i called down and complained about the issue i was told the hskp manager would contact me, she never did. the worst thing is that at 11 30 am another employee opens my door and says sorry, this time i opened my door to see who it was. the lady, maybe a supervisor, not sure, told me if i didn't want anyone barging into my room maybe i should put the do nor disturb sign on my door. i thought it was ridiculous. as someone who works in a hotel in new york i know for sure it doesn't work this way. 3 times in one of stay cannot be justified by me not having a do not disturb sign on my door. lastly this lady tells me i am due to check out at 12 so she assumed i had left because some people leave early. i came down to check out and spoke to the lady who checked me out, she had nothing better to say other than what the lady upstairs says. keep DND door. i do not want to assume this is the policy of this hotel. if so feel sorry for the many others who have had their sleep and privacy interrupted because they failed to put a sign on their door.

Room Tip: remember to put your do not disturb sign on the door if not your stay will be ruined by someone barg...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is wonderful to know you love our hotel; however, we are disappointed to learn your stay was negatively impacted by disturbances to your guestroom. In an attempt of offering an explanation, there are various reasons our team needs to access guestrooms – everything from bathrobes being delivered, housekeeping service to refreshment centre. We try our best to have everything in a guestroom replenished prior to it becoming occupied. Unfortunately, on occasion the timing may not work. For this reason, it is recommended to place the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and use the deadbolt when occupying any guestroom to ensure privacy. Regardless, I sincerely apologize for disturbances encountered and the negative impact this had on your stay. I will be following up with our team. Your feedback serves as a reminder to our team on the importance of our guests privacy.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Started upon checkin. Told me credit card declined. Had to call 800# to learn credit card was NOT declined, but they never swiped card. Charged me $1.71 to call the 800# for their mistake. Construction started early (8am). One out of 11 elevators worked, leading to long waits and even a 13 floor stairmaster workout at 11pm! Fire alarm last night at midnight. In room internet did not work and then they charged us for each device. Very poor stay!

Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review. It is very concerning to learn of your experience and the shortfalls experienced. I will be following up with our team on what has been reported. While it does not excuse the inconvenience encountered with the elevators, there was a strike by Elevator Technicians, which has since come to a close. We sincerely apologize for the negative impact this strike had on our guests. Your overall experience is not reflective of what we strive to provide our guests. We invite you to contact us directly should you wish to discuss your experience further.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had another lovely stay at the Fairmont, having stayed at the Fairmont in Chicago two years ago. The lobby is very comfortable and the decor throughout is top notch. The room I had was quite small, and the Fairmont still, in 2013, does not include WIFI. That has got to change or the Fairmont will soon be losing many customers. The overnight parking was $48 nightly, which I found to be outrageous, even for Toronto. Overall a nice stay, but I think I'll be looking for other hotel lines to be staying with in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not on the side with the construction.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are happy to learn you enjoyed your recent stay with us and a previous experience at our sister property in Chicago. Should your travels have you staying at various Fairmont Hotels & Resort properties, we recommend joining our loyalty program, Fairmont President’s Club. Through your FPC profile, you can select your room preferences and add information that will allow us to exceed your expectations at each of our properties. Additionally, members can utilize a dedicated express-check-in desk, receive complimentary standard internet access and air miles on qualifying stays. Enrollment is complimentary and can be completed online. We apologize that our parking price points did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to keep pricing in line with similar properties in the area and to offer the best value given our central location and extensive facilities. However, we will certainly share your feedback with the appropriate members of our management team.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, both nights were very noisy with people talking, laughing and on one occasion it sounded like an argument. Holes in the sheets (this is the 2nd Fairmont that I have stayed at that has holes in the sheets). When I complained at the front desk about the loud noise I was told it was a very busy weekend, I said that this wasn't the type of stay that I had expected - lack of sleep.I was offered a complimentary breakfast which I declined because we had already had breakfast. On the first morning at breakfast not one of the waiter's asked whether I wanted water or coffee. On the 2nd morning no one collected our used plates, we stacked them on top of one another.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review. We sincerely apologize for the noise disturbance you encountered throughout your stay. I take your comments very seriously and will follow up with our team. Our policy is to evict guests who receive multiple noise complaints and it is unacceptable that this was not carried out. Furthermore, it is concerning to learn of our service shortfall during both of your breakfasts. I appreciate you bringing my attention to your experience. I will be following up to ensure similar experiences are prevented.
Marlborough, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Like all the Fairmonts (we found) the outside and lobby were impressive but the floors where the rooms, and the rooms themselves, could do with a facelift.

We were early arriving for check in, having checked out of the Sheraton at Niagara and driven back to Toronto, so left our bags with the concierge and went off to the CN Tower. A phone call at 4.30 told us that the rooms were ready and we arrived back at the hotel by 5, only to be told that they hadn't realised that we were two couples (our son and girlfriend were with us) and that only one of the rooms was ready. We were given food & beverage vouchers to the value of $25 per couple and repaired to the bar. $25 may sound a lot but Canada is not the cheapest place to eat and drink and it just about bought a drink each!

Once the rooms were ready, we went up and found a souless, miles long, corridor and very average rooms. Ours looked out onto a flat, gravelled roof with a view of office towers and condos; our son and girlfriend's room was only a few further down the corridor, towards the front of the hotel, but had no view, or natural light, whatsoever being in the part of the building that was under renovation. Thick plastic sheeting protected the window and blocked any daylight from getting in. The rooms were comfortable and had all the expected amenities but lacked any style, we felt.

Another major gripe with this, and other large hotels we stayed in on this trip, is that they charge $13.95 plus tax for 24 hours internet access. As this is not exactly a Premier Inn it seems it's another way of squeezing the consumer!! To be fair, the lady in the business centre let me use a computer to check something for free!

Two saving graces in the stay were:

1. Marisa in the Epic bar/restaurant - this lovely lady served us at breakfast both mornings and stunned us on the second morning by remembering exactly what teas and coffee each of us had had the previous day! She was cheerful and helpful and is a huge asset to the hotel.

2. the absolutely divine toiletries in the bathroom - Fairmont Hotels commissioned a 'signature' range from Le Labo called Rose 31 and it is lovely.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience. While it is wonderful to know our exterior and lobby impressed, it is disappointing to learn, overall, we did not exceed your expectations. Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on your interaction with Marisa in EPIC. We are happy to know the service she provided was memorable and that you found her to be an asset to our hotel. I would like to share, that should your travels have you staying at various Fairmont Hotels & Resort properties, we recommend joining our loyalty program, Fairmont President’s Club. Through your FPC profile, you can select your room preferences and add information that will allow us to exceed your expectations at each of our properties. Additionally, members can utilize a dedicated express-check-in desk, receive complimentary standard internet access and air miles on qualifying stays. Enrollment is complimentary and can be completed online.

Future travelers: We have an exterior restoration project underway. There are a limited number of guestrooms directly impacted and privacy screens have been installed to protect privacy.
Nepean
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in June/July 2013. First night the room was across from the service entrance for the floor and was very noisy. When I asked to be moved, I was given the ultimatum of either losing my view and moving to a new room, or toughing it out for the night and I would be able to get a new room tomorrow. Ended up staying the night in the room only to notice other things wrong - bathroom light would buzz and flicker, pillows smelled like they hadn't been washed recently (a couple of them smelled like they'd been used as gym towels), carpet stains in parts of the room. Not convinced that I couldn't have been moved to another room in some way, even if it had meant getting moved into an upgraded room (I heard the couple at the next desk being moved to a suite because of some issue with their room) but I don't think the front desk attendant even bothered to give that a try.

The new room on the second night was a bit better, but also had some carpet stains and a water stain on the desk chair. The showerhead in the bathroom was crazy and would flood the bathroom floor if the shower curtain wasn't 100% closed at all times. Turns out in the end I lost the view anyways (despite being told that waiting 1 night would help me get another room similar to mine but not close to the service doors) and was moved to a room facing construction instead of the one looking out at the lake. We also got put onto an apparent "party floor" and came back to the hotel one night with the entire floor smelling like both cigarette and marijuana smoke - not exactly the class and luxury you expect at the Royal York.

Room Tip: Request one not facing building construction. Apparently the renovated rooms are quite nice, but al...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. We are very concerned to learn of your overall experience and apologize for the challenges encountered as these are atypical and not reflective of the experience we strive to provide our guests. I sincerely apologize for the odour encountered, especially since what has been reported is not tolerated. Your feedback is taken seriously and we will be following up accordingly.

Been to The Fairmont Royal York? Share your experiences!