“Fairmont beautiful hotel close to everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Royal York

You added The Fairmont Royal York to your Saves list
The Fairmont Royal York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Front Street W, Toronto, Ontario M5JIE3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Royal York Festive Guide
Ranked #37 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lewiston, New York
“Fairmont beautiful hotel close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

the hotel has a charming atmosphere we had a wonderful experience & the staff was friendly & accommodating ..we were close to arenas, shopping, restaurants, bars & transporation.. walking distance to Market & waterfront & Young St

Room Tip: excellent location for shows, shopping, transporation, etc found no problems w/ rooms, etc
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RoyalYorkHotel, Tim Morrison, Hotel Manager at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, it’s wonderful to learn that you had such an enjoyable experience, in part due to our prime location and friendly and accommodating team. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Fairmont implies a name synonymous with luxury and high standards. After having to complain about the Fairmont Banff Springs, I find it incredulous that I have to complain about the Fairmont Royal York.

On checking in to the room:

1) A bulb was not working in bathroom.

2) A pubic hair was in the bath

Whilst relatively low level issues, both matters indicate that maintenance and housekeeping are not being properly managed.

Further, Fairmont charges for wifi access, which is absurd given the price it charges fore rooms, drinks and food.

It’s all very well having nice looking hotels with grand interiors, but if Fairmont can’t monitor when a light bulb needs replacing or properly clean a bath then it is no longer the hotel chain of choice for me.

These indiscretions at the Royal York are the final curtain for me. I have chosen Fairmont for pleasure and business for last time. Other hotels will now get my business.

Room Tip: There are a lot of construction projects in Toronto at present. Check with the hotel first before bo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are very sorry for our oversights in the preparation of your bathroom. Both are unacceptable and our Housekeeping and Maintenance Directors will discuss this with their teams to ensure that everyone understands the importance of our attention to detail. We do hope that you will have a change of heart and choose to stay with Fairmont Hotels and Resorts again. Along with other great benefits, we wanted to note that members of our loyalty program, Fairmont President’s Club, receive complimentary internet access and there is no charge to enroll. We have contacted you directly to personally apologize.
Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is incredible! Beautiful rooms, amazing service and food. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Special thanks to our server Joe at the banquet, he was very attentive and made the experience lots of fun!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your positive feedback and are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We’ve posted your review on our banquet colleague board and will recognize Joe for his efforts to create a fun and memorable experience!
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've been to the Royal York for the second time now and it is always a delight to arrive there. It is located in the city centre overlooking Lake Ontario. The rooms are small but luxurious and the service is outstanding. I'm sure this was not the last time for me to stay at the Fairmont Royal York and explore the beautiful city of Toronto.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a moment to review your second experience at our hotel. We are thrilled that you find our rooms luxurious and our service outstanding and look forward to our earliest opportunity to welcome you again.
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my first stay at Fairmont for 6 nights for a business trip. The hotel has great location and the quality of physical goods (amenities, furniture, room electronics etc.) are very good. However, the service quality was not up to my expectations. On Sunday evening I called the laundry service to pick my shirts and suit for pressing and I asked the person several times that I needed them the next evening (Monday), because I had a meeting early on Tuesday morning. He said OK and took them away. The next night at around 21:00, since my clothes were not left in the room, I called the laundry to bring them. However, after several calls to the reception, laundry etc., eventually they told me that the laundry was closed because of the Victoria's Day and they don't know where my stuff is! I went down to the reception and after a long search to find where my clothes are, they found out that they were left in the laundry room and were not pressed yet (thanks to Abdul's efforts). I said I needed them at 7:00 the next morning. The manager and Abdul sorted things out and had my clothes ready at 7:00 on Tuesday morning. I have to thank for their efforts but I didn't have to go through this. I should have been informed when my clothes were taken and when I requested several times that I needed them on the next day's evening.
Second, one day, I found two hand towels in my luggage, which meant that someone opened my luggage and somehow forgot these towels in it. Nothing was taken from my luggage but still it was kind of disturbing to realize that someone opened it.
Third, on the day I was checking out, I left my luggages at the bell desk. After a walk in the city, I came back and asked the person at the desk if it is possible for me to go inside and put my camera in my luggage. He made such a disgruntled face as if I have sworn at him. He turned his back and walked away. However, another staff immediately took over and took me politely to my luggage.
Fourth, I asked one of the staff to leave two bottles of water in my room because I drink a lot of water. Thankfully, she did. Several hours later, I went to my room again and saw that the extra bottle was taken away!
Fifth, this is not a fault of the hotel but there was a road construction below my window which sometimes continued until midnight. So, request a room on the other side of the hotel.
At the end of the day, the service quality was not consistent. Some of the staff were very polite some were not. Some were helpful, some were not. That was the main problem actually.

Room Tip: In May, there was a road construction which continued until midnight. Request a room away from the c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
While we are happy to know that you enjoyed our location and found that our rooms and amenities were of good quality, we sincerely apologize for the service inconsistencies you touch on in your review. While we are glad that we were able to have your clothes laundered, we apologize for our complete breakdown surrounding the provision of this service and for the inconvenience it caused. We also apologize profusely for your experience with housekeeping and our bell desk—your feedback is out of the norm but this should not detract from my concern. We are in the process of following up with the colleagues who serviced your guestroom and will reach out to you early next week with a more personal apology.
Inverary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very unhelpful and antagonistic front desk staff, Waiter in restaurant sweet though. Rooms were worn, dull and extraordinarily dirty. " Domestic" ( yelling screaming and cursing) next door at 2 am. This cannot be prevented, but the hotels response was horrid. Only once I threatened to call the police after attempts to get hotel staff up- did I get a reaction. Only PRO- location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience from your February stay. We are very concerned about the feedback provided. We have contacted you directly to extend our apologies and request additional information to allow us to properly follow-up with our team.
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Pros:
-Very good location because Union Station (subway) is right downstairs
-Lots of places to eat within walking distance - there is TIm Horton's, Second Cup, Starbucks all within 3 minutes away for breakfast
-The service here is great - i was always treated very politely
-Gym is 24H

The Cons:
-Lots of construction nearby - its kind of a pain. Don't expect nice scenery
-It's an older property but it has a lot of character

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to summarize your experience. It is wonderful to know our service was great and our team treated you very politely. We apologize for the impact the city construction in front of our hotel has on the individual guest experience. We look forward to welcoming your return.

Been to The Fairmont Royal York? Share your experiences!