“I guess this was a nice place once” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Royal York

You added The Fairmont Royal York to your Saves list
The Fairmont Royal York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Front Street W, Toronto, Ontario M5JIE3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Royal York Festive Guide
Ranked #37 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I guess this was a nice place once”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This place came recommended by my travel assistant and since I absolutely LOVE the Fairmont in Santa Monica, I was really excited about my stay here.
Whomp Whomp.
Its more like the Jefferson Hotel in Richmond Virginia except not well maintained.
It just feels old but not in a good way. Like in a sad way.

Service was nice, although you never really see anyone and no one really checks on you.

Its also crazy loud - you can hear everything in the halls, on the streets and in the rooms next to you.

Its also in the financial district so you don't really experience any charm or culture.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RoyalYorkHotel, Katharine, Customer Service at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
It is wonderful to learn you love our sister property in Santa Monica, California. I apologize that your experience with us did not exceed your expectations. I am delighted to learn you found our service to be nice and would like to share we have commenced the first stage of our renovation plan and look forward to addressing improved soundproofing. We hope you will be able to return and enjoy our location in the heart of downtown Toronto!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel because we were attending a big conference. I knew this was to be a fancy hotel by it's name and history. Here's the problem, it was old!! The architecture in the lobby and meeting rooms was amazing, but you don't sleep there. The rooms were incredibly old and dated. My colleague had to crawl under her bed to find a plug in to charge her phone. You could actually stand in the tub and toilet at the same time and couldn't stand at the sink unless the door was closed. Housekeeping was limited, I think they made the bed and emptied the trash.

There were a few pluses - check in was very fast and efficient, the beds were just the right firmness and the pillows were fantastic.Also, although overpriced, the food and service at the Epic was very good.

I didn't encourage the conference to return to this hotel in the future. I suggested they go back to the Sheraton on Queen, where the amenities were much more user friendly for a business conference.

Room Tip: It appeared they were doing updates, I was on the 6th - co-worker on the 9th, clearly the 6th was mo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is disappointing to learn our rooms did not exceed your expectations. We have recently begun our first stage of our renovation plan and look forward to continued updates. I am delighted that you found our check-in to be very fast and efficient. Your feedback for EPIC is appreciated and I am pleased you found them to provide food and service that was very good!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Hotel is lovely and up to Fairmont Expectations. Our particular room was very lovely. Recommend executive level. The Lobby is elegant and inviting and we had a wonderful dinner with very good service in the Imperial Room. Breakfast in the morning was delivered swiftly and hot. Extra newspapers were not a problem. Don't go to this Hotel expecting Modern Yuppie Service. The Hotel is staid and elegant and refined, and good value for what you receive although it is not your Budget Location, and should not be expected to be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Pretty disappointed with this hotel. You can tell the hotel is old by the condition of the carpet, wall paper, smell of the room and the overall interior. Very surprised that the price of over $200 per night does not include wi-fi and not only that but their business cente, where I need to stop by for an hour work, does NOT have Internet access. Really? It is a business centre in downtown Toronto with no Wi-fi? All business is done online these days! Pretty disappointed overall.
Will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
RoyalYorkHotel, Ashley, Customer Service at The Fairmont Royal York, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review, we are very sorry to learn of your feeling of disappointment with your stay. If you would like to discuss your concerns at greater length, we would welcome this opportunity and invite you to contact us directly. We do hope that you will continue to choose Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and suggest that you enroll in our loyalty program, Fairmont President’s Club. If you include your number on your next reservation, you’ll enjoy many benefits including complimentary wifi access.

Future guests: to clarify, our Xerox Business Centre has internet access, including WiFi, though there may be a fee depending on the range of services you utilize.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We recently spent one night at the Fairmont Royal York. We were upgraded to a huge suite wih two very large, overized rooms. The room was spacious but the decor really needs to be updated, It is obiously old. The bathroom was large, but there were cracks in the marble, and it was an old style bathtub.
The check in and service were great, the hotel clean and lovely, just in serious need of an update.An old hotel, great location, old rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for Halloween weekend. He had stayed at this property 4 years back, and so it was assumed it would be fine. Unfortunately he even told me he didn't remember it being the way it was when we stayed.

The hotel exterior and lobby are beautiful, and being opened in 1929, has a lot of history. The elevators have gorgeous ornate woodwork, and the lobby is large and very classic. The bathrooms have a lot of marble, and while small, was elegant and carried higher quality products. The doormen are dressed in classic attire which is charming and the front desk staff is helpful and non pretentious. I was able to extend my check out to 1pm with no charge. Location is excellent, everything is a walk/cab/subway/bus/short drive away. Now, the surprises.

There is no parking for the hotel, as in they do not have thier own lot. So its valet or self park. The self park closest to the hotel has no elevators, so good luck. Wi-fi is extra unless you book a room upgraded from standard. The standard rooms are old, outdated, and small. The halls are dimly lit and have a slight musky smell to them from the years when smoking was allowed everywhere. While I understand that the hotel is over 80 years old, it is in need of renovations (which I believe they are planning to start soon) and more modern decor (change the carpet, wall paper, beddings, and that would be a major improvement already). The wallpaper was peeling slightly, the carpet had little stains here and there, and the furniture and bedding is out of date and quite worn. There was a few drops of liquid foundation that was not wiped off the bathroom counter, and we found some hair in-between the sheets in one of the beds.

Here's the best part: the hotel was prepaid. We brought our own beer and wine, and moved some stuff around in the mini fridge to accommodate our supply BUT DID NOT TAKE ANYTHING. When we had come back after our night out, there was a reciept for the room charges which didn't make sense as my room was prepaid. When I checked out, the gentleman at the front desk told me that I only booked and was not charged through the site used and this was the charge for the room. WRONG. The site had charged me, and the Fairmont charged me again! Then there was a mysterious extra $70 on my card. When I called to get my refund and inquire about the second charge, I found out the second charge was for items I did not take in the fridge! My suggestion: come up with a better way to keep track of inventory. The woman I spoke to was quick, very pleasant, verified that I had be refunded for both charges, sent me invoices for both refunds by email, and apologized for the mix up. Great customer service.

The stay wasn't terrible, but I've had better and I'm not too picky. For a 1 night stay, it's fine. The hotel needs to update the rooms and furniture within. Also, make sure housekeeping pays more attention to the cleanliness of the room.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review—while we are happy that our team provided outstanding service and there were many positive aspects of your visit, we sincerely apologize for the lapses in maintenance and housekeeping and for our billing errors. These mistakes are unacceptable and in no way reflective of our normal attention to detail. We have contacted you directly for more information so that we may apologize in a personal way and address these errors with the colleagues involved.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

A real landmark hotel located right in the centre of the city, opposite the main train station and within walking distance of almost everything. Staff were really helpful and friendly, hotel had great facilities, shops and restaurants in the lobby, I especially liked the pool area. The only compliant I would have is the room, although clean was a bit tied looking and there was no free WiFi or Internet access which for a 5 star hotel was really disappointing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Fairmont Royal York? Share your experiences!