“Don't even THINK about being late for your tour!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Steam Whistle Brewery

Steam Whistle Brewery
The Roundhouse | 255 Bremner Blvd., Toronto, Ontario M5V 3M9, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
(416) 362-2337
Type: Breweries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located within walking distance of the CN Tower and Rogers Center, Steam Whistle Brewing occupies Bays 1-24 within the old John Street Roundhouse building, a designated National Historic Site that was previously home to the Canadian Pacific Railway steam locomotive repair facility. Thousands of visitors visit this brewery every year to attend one of the on-site events or take a tour of how the company brews its own Pilsner.
Toronto, Canada
“Don't even THINK about being late for your tour!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I am going to preface this by saying that I am always on time, and if by any chance I am running a little late, I always call and let people know what is going on.

I had booked a tour for the other day for a group of people, and well, as you can imagine, it took us a little longer to get to the brewery than expected. Now, if you book a tour in advance, they will tell you to arrive at least ten minutes early to make sure they don't give away your reservation, and to call if you are going to be late. I called the brewery dutifully to inform that that we were three minutes out, and that we were just up the street and was immediately shot down by the sales and tour representative who told me that our spots on the tour had already been given away, and we'd been told that we had to be ten minutes early to keep our spots and no, there was absolutely no way we were going to have a tour that day.

I was, understandably, very upset.

Our group decided that we'd go to Steam Whistle regardless, and see if we couldn't get onto another tour, or at worst, sit on the patio and have a beer.

Luckily when we arrived we were able to speak to an incredibly helpful guy who listened to our problem about the reservation, and resolved it: he took us on a short 15 minute tour highlighting all the major tour information, and made sure we had our delicious samples of Steam Whistle. Gratifyingly, he also dressed down the employee who had summarily dismissed me over the phone.

The customer is supposed to be right, even when they are wrong. However, I was incredibly impressed by the Steam Whistle staff who work hard to ensure that customers have a great experience.

I'd recommend a tour, I'd recommend taking the tour. But you'd better arrive twenty minutes before the tour or you will be cut from the list.

Ottawa, Ontario
12 attraction reviews
“Watch your ears!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The tour was worth the ten dollars, especially if you like steam whistle beer and come prepared or ready to taste. Five dollars more gets you a six pack to take home. The head phones are brutal though....tough to adjust, and guaranteed they will be way too loud at points.

Whitby, Canada
“Very Worthwile Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Started with a small glass of pilsner prior to the tour. During the tour each person was given a headphone, which made it much easier to listen to the guide (lots of background brewing noise). Once the tour started we were all given a full bottle to drink while on the tour. We were given the history of how the brewery started, the history of the location, and were taken through the entire brewing process from mashing to bottling. The explanations were very basic, to the level of most people who know little about the brewing process. If you're an experienced homebrewer, you will be disappointed and not learn too much new, although the tour guide was very helpful and submitted my more detailed questions to a brewer at the end of the tour. There is another sample of beer waiting for you at the end of the tour. My only two concerns were the size of the tour group (I noticed that sometimes at least a third of the tour group could not see what was being explained), and the rather basic level of explanation of the brewing process (which is likely more than adequate for the majority). However, the tour guide was very cheerful, and very helpful, and followed through very thoroughly on any questions that she was not able to answer. For more experienced homebrewers, the tour guide said that it might be possible to arrange a higher level tour if enough are interested.

North Ferrisburgh, Vermont, United States
21 attraction reviews
“Best brewery tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was skeptical about paying 10 dollars for a tour- but well worth it- took an hr.- prebooked on line which was worth it- otherwise it would have been a 3 hr wait to come back & tour. Tour lasted an hr., given plenty of free samples & a bottle of beer to drink while walking through- tour guide- Claire - was excellent- very knowledgeable- head sets that made it possible to hear all she was saying- great idea to do- fun building, min. walk from Rogers Center

Toronto, Canada
“Great experience for our students”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We came last night and our students completely enjoyed themselves. They said it was the best activity ever and they also loved their take-home gifts. Very organized and friendly. Thank you!