“Poor service & Shoddy rooms” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

You added Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2V4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
EASE INTO FALL
Ranked #35 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Los Angeles, California
“Poor service & Shoddy rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I check in and there is only 1 person @ the front desk. She continues to stand in front of me on the phone for 10 minutes before acknowledging my presence, despite me standing awkwardly in front of her 3 feet away. Meanwhile, four other employees standby the elevator, dressed like they are hitting up The Roxbury, playing on their phones.

Next, I get a key, that doesn't work for the room. I go back to the front desk and there is a different person there. He is also on the phone. I wait another 10 minutes to get a new key. Good times.

I finally get into the room. The vent for the A/C is loose and making a clearly audible, annoying sound. Shortly thereafter, I flush the toilet, which runs for about 20 minutes. The clocks are the wrong time (as in hour and minute aren't close to the real local time). Finally, I turn on the TV the next morning and it is @ the max volume.

Seriously awesome experience. I would rather take the money spent on this room, burn it outside in the adjacent park and sleep on a bench.

Notably, I have never provided online feedback for any product or service in my life.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear SimonPhoenix99,

While I am terribly disappointed to hear that your stay was anything less than exceptional, I am glad to see that your experience hasn't placed a damper on your sense of humor.

Please accept our sincerest apologies, we always strive to meet our guest’s expectations but it is clear that we have fallen very short here. I hope that we will have an opportunity to have you back and showcase the exceptional product and service which we are known for in the near future.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Upon check-in, our room was not ready, so we were given free drinks at the lobby bar. Pool was closed for private function so we went up early Sunday morning. Beautiful lounge area. What a spectacular view! We walked at night in the neighbourhood, felt safe, lots happening, great people watching. We really enjoyed ourselves. Room was fantastic, comfortable and clean. We were well looked after. Breakfast and coffee in the diner was excellent. Stephanie at Reception and Shawn in Engineering were most attentive to our needs. We will be back! Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Francesca M,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I know that Stephanie and Shawn will be delighted to receive your kind mention,

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Hamilton, Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I just came back from a 5-day stay in this hotel. I read all the reviews prior to booking the hotel and came away leaning heavily on the positive side. Our room was very modern and spacious. The Diner, the only real eatery on the property was good diner food. There were plenty of other restaurants in the area, so food wasn't a problem. We did encounter quite a lot of noise in the bar downstairs when returning at night as the hotel is a very popular night spot. I would certainly recommend this hotel for the younger set. Being in the fashion district of Toronto, my wife REALLY liked Freda's store right across the street on Bathurst. We did find the rooftop very crowded during the day and never did go up there at night. Many times, the rooftop is reserved, so you can't go up there, but that wasn't the reason we were there. Not a problem for us. It's a quiet neighborhood, so if you are in to shopping at the big stores, you would be better off closer to the larger shopping centers in the city center.

Room Tip: Quiet room on the upper floors. We were on the 6th floor and couldn't hear anything from the ni...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jack D,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I chose here for our wedding night before we left for our honeymoon. I woke up in the middle of the night to a man standing by our bed who did not move when I started screaming. It took my husband jumping up in defense mode for him to leave. The next day we were told by the chief concierge Paula Desjardins that front desk had issued a card to the wrong room and we could not get our money back because we booked through a third party and it was "impossible". She asked what they could do for us-I told her to try and call Orbitz to get our money back before saying it was impossible and to update us on the situation. Paula took my phone number down and said she would contact us. Two weeks passed and nothing so I called Orbitz myself. Within a matter of minutes I was able to get a refund although told it was "impossible". I also complained on their facebook page. Today, over 3 weeks later I called Paula to see what had happened and why we were never called. Paula told me "I got your Facebook message" and that me being able to get my money back through Orbitz wasn't true because they had filled out forms themselves. She also told me that "you wouldn't even look at me when I was at the front desk". Yes, I did look at you but even if I did not why should that affect our service? After repeatedly asking her why over 3 weeks later I was not contacted she finally stated she had gone on vacation for two weeks. I then asked why she would not mention a delay in response only to be snarkily told "it's none of your concern if I'm on vacation". You charge us $340, ruin our wedding night, put our lives in danger, have a stranger see us naked and THAT is your response? We are seeking legal advice now as the experience from this hotel after the fact is adding damage to that detrimental night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Stavalexiou,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We love to indulge those celebrating special occasions with us!

We are so delighted to have played a small part in the enjoyment of your Birthday weekend and we look forward to having you back very soon!

Kind Regards,

Director of rooms
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I visited the hotel from NY after I heard good things. WHAT a disappointment. The front desk staff were friendly enough but it was the rest of my stay which was terrible. No access to rooftop due to a Pride event, no access to pool, access to THE DINER which has fried chicken, I spend $400 for fried chicken. I had a drink in Lobby with my partner then at 130am the most disgusting group of people I have witnessed descended on the bar, a group of these women pushed me and my partner of our table as they said, it is their party and we do not belong, I went to the manager, a gent of Scottish decent and complained what had happened, a minute later our table was returned with an apology and a round of drinks given to us 'TOUCHE". This went on until 3am, people were smoking drugs in the room, it was disgusting, I felt sorry for the staff as I found out the party was taken from the roof to the downstairs bar at the last minute because of a fir alarm. This hotel is the worst I have ever stayed at and if I was asked to come back for a free stay I would say......NO THANK YOU.....poor management all over!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not ever go to this hotel.......There management staff from GM below is a disgrace
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear brian t,

Please accept our sincerest apologies, we always strive to meet our guest’s expectations but it is very clear that we have fallen short here. I hope that you will allow us an opportunity to invite you back so that you can experience the exceptional product and service which we are known for.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Very modern hotel and rooms were clean and spacious.

Based on previous reviews, we also parked across the street. Parking underground or valet was over $40.

We had time to enjoy the rooftop pool before it closed at 7pm. Beautiful view of downtown Toronto.

Late at night, we could hear everyone coming home. Girls were talking loudly as if they were right outside the door. I think next time we will ask for either a higher floor room or a lower traffic room.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Shirley T,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, connect with us directly next time and we would be happy to add your preferences to your profile,

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Very nice hotel, hip and cool, in up and coming neighborhood. Terrific views of the city skyline from rooftop bar/pool. Easy walk (or tram or taxi) to anywhere. Friendly staff and decent little breakfast place on site. I have to say that the only negative was broken glass on the floor of my room that pierced my toe and heel...but they comped me a couple drinks and moved me across the hall - not sure that makes it good enough for me to return. But I would not turn it down either. Give it a try and see if it meets expectations. It reminds me of Aloft in the US.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Viaggiaro,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the vibe of the King west area. I have followed up our housekeeping team in regards to your comment about the broken glass to ensure that this does not happen again.

We hope you back very soon,

Director of Rooms

Been to Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!