“Ruined our wedding night, terrible service.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

You added Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2V4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #35 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Ruined our wedding night, terrible service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I chose here for our wedding night before we left for our honeymoon. I woke up in the middle of the night to a man standing by our bed who did not move when I started screaming. It took my husband jumping up in defense mode for him to leave. The next day we were told by the chief concierge Paula Desjardins that front desk had issued a card to the wrong room and we could not get our money back because we booked through a third party and it was "impossible". She asked what they could do for us-I told her to try and call Orbitz to get our money back before saying it was impossible and to update us on the situation. Paula took my phone number down and said she would contact us. Two weeks passed and nothing so I called Orbitz myself. Within a matter of minutes I was able to get a refund although told it was "impossible". I also complained on their facebook page. Today, over 3 weeks later I called Paula to see what had happened and why we were never called. Paula told me "I got your Facebook message" and that me being able to get my money back through Orbitz wasn't true because they had filled out forms themselves. She also told me that "you wouldn't even look at me when I was at the front desk". Yes, I did look at you but even if I did not why should that affect our service? After repeatedly asking her why over 3 weeks later I was not contacted she finally stated she had gone on vacation for two weeks. I then asked why she would not mention a delay in response only to be snarkily told "it's none of your concern if I'm on vacation". You charge us $340, ruin our wedding night, put our lives in danger, have a stranger see us naked and THAT is your response? We are seeking legal advice now as the experience from this hotel after the fact is adding damage to that detrimental night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Stavalexiou,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We love to indulge those celebrating special occasions with us!

We are so delighted to have played a small part in the enjoyment of your Birthday weekend and we look forward to having you back very soon!

Kind Regards,

Director of rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I visited the hotel from NY after I heard good things. WHAT a disappointment. The front desk staff were friendly enough but it was the rest of my stay which was terrible. No access to rooftop due to a Pride event, no access to pool, access to THE DINER which has fried chicken, I spend $400 for fried chicken. I had a drink in Lobby with my partner then at 130am the most disgusting group of people I have witnessed descended on the bar, a group of these women pushed me and my partner of our table as they said, it is their party and we do not belong, I went to the manager, a gent of Scottish decent and complained what had happened, a minute later our table was returned with an apology and a round of drinks given to us 'TOUCHE". This went on until 3am, people were smoking drugs in the room, it was disgusting, I felt sorry for the staff as I found out the party was taken from the roof to the downstairs bar at the last minute because of a fir alarm. This hotel is the worst I have ever stayed at and if I was asked to come back for a free stay I would say......NO THANK YOU.....poor management all over!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not ever go to this hotel.......There management staff from GM below is a disgrace
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear brian t,

Please accept our sincerest apologies, we always strive to meet our guest’s expectations but it is very clear that we have fallen short here. I hope that you will allow us an opportunity to invite you back so that you can experience the exceptional product and service which we are known for.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Very modern hotel and rooms were clean and spacious.

Based on previous reviews, we also parked across the street. Parking underground or valet was over $40.

We had time to enjoy the rooftop pool before it closed at 7pm. Beautiful view of downtown Toronto.

Late at night, we could hear everyone coming home. Girls were talking loudly as if they were right outside the door. I think next time we will ask for either a higher floor room or a lower traffic room.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Shirley T,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, connect with us directly next time and we would be happy to add your preferences to your profile,

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Very nice hotel, hip and cool, in up and coming neighborhood. Terrific views of the city skyline from rooftop bar/pool. Easy walk (or tram or taxi) to anywhere. Friendly staff and decent little breakfast place on site. I have to say that the only negative was broken glass on the floor of my room that pierced my toe and heel...but they comped me a couple drinks and moved me across the hall - not sure that makes it good enough for me to return. But I would not turn it down either. Give it a try and see if it meets expectations. It reminds me of Aloft in the US.

Dear Viaggiaro,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the vibe of the King west area. I have followed up our housekeeping team in regards to your comment about the broken glass to ensure that this does not happen again.

We hope you back very soon,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Everything about this property oozes opulence and class. An oh-so-convenient downtown location, friendly staff and beautiful rooms. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are gorgeous, and the rooftop lounge has, undoubtedly, the most stunning view in the city. Drinks are a touch pricey but the atmosphere makes up for it. Thompson Diner in the lobby has phenomenal eggs benedict (available 24 hours a day - worth it).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear WeddingGirlDotCa,

We are thrilled that you like the hotel! We always aim to please and are so glad we succeeded in make your stay with us enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I'll start by saying I'm biased. I arrived at the Thompson in the midst of a fire alarm, so the elevators weren't working, which meant I received free drinks in the lounge until the elevators got going again. Which was nice. And then they gave me a giant upgrade to a room that goes for $2,500 a night. That room was very large and would have been amazing, but since I was there alone on business it was somewhat lost on me. In fact, having a giant suite is almost a little depressing when you're there on your own, but I wasn't going to turn it down. Overall a nice welcome and some very good service.

Apparently the rooftop bar and pool is a big draw for this hotel. The pool is tiny. And my Toronto based colleagues warned me of a DB clientelle that comes to the bar but I actually didn't see that. However, the lounge was closed. I was told that I could go up after 11 and it would be open until 2:00. Not really fitting my schedule. I did go up before then to check out the view, which was pretty spectacular, until I was asked to leave.

I don't understand why a hotel like this would charge a steep fee for WiFi access. This feels a little cheap on their behalf when they're charging several hundred for a room.

I found the electrical in the rooms poorly planned. Not able to turn out the lights from bed. And no outlets near the bed. Both standard things that I expect in the era of iPhones. It's these little things that separate the good from the great.

I ate dinner and breakfast at the Thompson Diner. Breakfast was very good. Dinner was terrible. So use your judgement. There are lots of other options around here.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade. No clue how to do that.
Dear Jack_Shaw,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m glad that you had a good time at our hotel and as well to report that the hotel now offers complimentary WIFI for all guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The hotel is in a great neighbourhood, within walking distance to many bars and restaurants. Rooms are very nice with a modern décor and include iron, minibar, safe and free wifi. There was a small balcony, but it was a bit dirty with quite a few cigarette butts. There is a 24h diner that offers a good breakfast at reasonable price. The hotel has a nice rooftop bar and pool, as well as a bar in the lobby.

We liked the hotel but there were a few issues. First there was only one elevator working during our stay. Apparently one elevator broke and then the other one. As there was a wedding and because of all the traffic for the rooftop bar, this meant we often had to wait a long time for an elevator and unfortunately the stairs were not easily accessible. The other issue was because of the wedding reception, the rooftop bar and pool were closed from 4 to 9 pm on Saturday (other reviewers have also mentioned this problem). We were only informed of this when we tried to go for a drink, it would be nice if the hotel could put up a sign in the lobby.

Upon checkout when I informed the person at reception of all these issues, he welcomed our input and gave us a rebate on the room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nathalie D,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and have begun sharing our rooftop closures on our social media outlets as well as posting signage in our lobby. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Director of Rooms

Been to Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!