“Awesome view of the city, and easy walk to anywhere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

You added Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2V4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Toronto Breakfast Club
Ranked #27 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Redondo Beach, California
“Awesome view of the city, and easy walk to anywhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Very nice hotel, hip and cool, in up and coming neighborhood. Terrific views of the city skyline from rooftop bar/pool. Easy walk (or tram or taxi) to anywhere. Friendly staff and decent little breakfast place on site. I have to say that the only negative was broken glass on the floor of my room that pierced my toe and heel...but they comped me a couple drinks and moved me across the hall - not sure that makes it good enough for me to return. But I would not turn it down either. Give it a try and see if it meets expectations. It reminds me of Aloft in the US.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Viaggiaro,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the vibe of the King west area. I have followed up our housekeeping team in regards to your comment about the broken glass to ensure that this does not happen again.

We hope you back very soon,

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Everything about this property oozes opulence and class. An oh-so-convenient downtown location, friendly staff and beautiful rooms. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are gorgeous, and the rooftop lounge has, undoubtedly, the most stunning view in the city. Drinks are a touch pricey but the atmosphere makes up for it. Thompson Diner in the lobby has phenomenal eggs benedict (available 24 hours a day - worth it).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear WeddingGirlDotCa,

We are thrilled that you like the hotel! We always aim to please and are so glad we succeeded in make your stay with us enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I'll start by saying I'm biased. I arrived at the Thompson in the midst of a fire alarm, so the elevators weren't working, which meant I received free drinks in the lounge until the elevators got going again. Which was nice. And then they gave me a giant upgrade to a room that goes for $2,500 a night. That room was very large and would have been amazing, but since I was there alone on business it was somewhat lost on me. In fact, having a giant suite is almost a little depressing when you're there on your own, but I wasn't going to turn it down. Overall a nice welcome and some very good service.

Apparently the rooftop bar and pool is a big draw for this hotel. The pool is tiny. And my Toronto based colleagues warned me of a DB clientelle that comes to the bar but I actually didn't see that. However, the lounge was closed. I was told that I could go up after 11 and it would be open until 2:00. Not really fitting my schedule. I did go up before then to check out the view, which was pretty spectacular, until I was asked to leave.

I don't understand why a hotel like this would charge a steep fee for WiFi access. This feels a little cheap on their behalf when they're charging several hundred for a room.

I found the electrical in the rooms poorly planned. Not able to turn out the lights from bed. And no outlets near the bed. Both standard things that I expect in the era of iPhones. It's these little things that separate the good from the great.

I ate dinner and breakfast at the Thompson Diner. Breakfast was very good. Dinner was terrible. So use your judgement. There are lots of other options around here.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade. No clue how to do that.
Dear Jack_Shaw,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m glad that you had a good time at our hotel and as well to report that the hotel now offers complimentary WIFI for all guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The hotel is in a great neighbourhood, within walking distance to many bars and restaurants. Rooms are very nice with a modern décor and include iron, minibar, safe and free wifi. There was a small balcony, but it was a bit dirty with quite a few cigarette butts. There is a 24h diner that offers a good breakfast at reasonable price. The hotel has a nice rooftop bar and pool, as well as a bar in the lobby.

We liked the hotel but there were a few issues. First there was only one elevator working during our stay. Apparently one elevator broke and then the other one. As there was a wedding and because of all the traffic for the rooftop bar, this meant we often had to wait a long time for an elevator and unfortunately the stairs were not easily accessible. The other issue was because of the wedding reception, the rooftop bar and pool were closed from 4 to 9 pm on Saturday (other reviewers have also mentioned this problem). We were only informed of this when we tried to go for a drink, it would be nice if the hotel could put up a sign in the lobby.

Upon checkout when I informed the person at reception of all these issues, he welcomed our input and gave us a rebate on the room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nathalie D,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and have begun sharing our rooftop closures on our social media outlets as well as posting signage in our lobby. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I bid for a room on priceline not knowing what to expect... I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Thompson hotel. Everything about this hotel was so fancy! The bathroom floors were heated, the shower was beautiful, the lights were cool, the furniture was snazzy. I felt like a movie star.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear sneezekoofer,

Everyone deserves to feel like a Movie Star! So glad this was your experience while visiting us.
We hope to have you back very soon.

Warmest Regards,

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed at the Thompson hotel prior to attending the ballet and found the service to be completely lacking. We sent a detailed review to the management company but receive absolutely no response.

Although the rooms are nice the service is so poor that we would never stay at the hotel again.

Our experience is as follows:
(a) Dressed formally for the ballet we arrived home after the show and proceeded towards the elevators, we were rudely stopped by a 20 something year old employee stating "where are you going?" Firstly, regardless of whether we were guests or not this is simply not an appropriate means of addressing anyone. We subsequently advised the young man that we were guests at the hotel.

Shortly thereafter attempted to go to the rooftop but were advised that, despite having evidence that we were guests and clearly over the age of 18, we needed to go downstairs and obtain a stamp validating our over 18 status. Despite the absurdity of this we proceeded downstairs and upon attempting to go into the elevators, having obtained our stamp, the same young man from earlier again rudely asked us where we were going.

(b) upon checking out, we had earlier ate at the diner and advised the server to add it to our hotel tab. We noticed that the diner had not added our tab to our hotel bill and advised the representative of such. She subsequently spent 45 minutes attempting to find our bill and to add it to our account. It was a bill of merely 20 dollars and yet we were forced to wait 45 minutes while the staff tried to correct their own oversight.

Overall, this is simply the worst hotel experience we have ever had and we will not be staying at this hotel ever again. The staff seem more interested in the loud 20 something year old crowd and are completely devoid of proper etiquette training.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear S b,

Thank you for your feedback, please accept our apologies if the service you received was anything less than exceptional. We are constantly looking into ways to improve our service and hope you will return to enjoy the progress that we have made.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I think I can see why this place has mixed reviews.
In my opinion it's better as a business hotel.

Smart, modern, nice rooms. Really liked the hotel.Great location for being central and walking around.
Roof bar is also pretty slick, great views. Does seem to be a certain type of clientele though.
Seems more like it's the show piece rather than a real guests pool for relaxing.

Couple of annoyances -
1. One of the lift's was out of service so sometimes an epic wait.
2. The underground parking system really sucks. If you need a specific amount of time beyond that of the set times, you have to pay for a full 24hrs (something silly like that). In the end I had to pay $30 CAD per day. I think it's a private car park so the hotel's not responsible but either way it's crap.

Overall I liked the hotel and I would definitely consider staying again for business.
For a holiday... not sure.... maybe a night or two...

Dear InVinoVeritasEtAmor,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the longer than usual elevator wait time you experienced but we are happy to report that the elevators have now been fixed and are fully functional. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay with us soon!

Director of Rooms

Been to Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!