“Spacious, Comfortable, Not Well Known” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

You added Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2V4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Girls Overnight
Ranked #28 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Cambridge, Canada
“Spacious, Comfortable, Not Well Known”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I recently attended a business seminar hosted at the Thompson - a hotel I'd never heard of in Toronto. I had a little difficulty finding it (in the Fashion District) but once there was glad I did. Staff is delightful - from the doorman, to the desk clerk, to wait staff - everyone of them helpful, courteous and welcoming. The room was quite spacious with a very comfortable king bed. The bathroom was large, modern and well appointed. I would certainly stay here again ... without hesitation!

My seminar dealt with issues in Long Term Care. I mention this because while a great hotel in general, the lighting is low throughout the hotel. Meeting rooms on the lower level are without windows and use lots of mirrors - all of these are challenging for the elderly and any of us with aging eyes. Light switches and labels in the rooms have very small print so managing the lighting can take trial and error. These are not big issues but worth mentioning.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main street can be a little noisy so if you're not an urbanite then ask for a r...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Douglas B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We always enjoy hearing from our guests. Your feedback is very encouraging for our staff who pride themselves on our warm and welcoming service and hospitality.

We hope to welcome you back very soon,

Best,
Theo Kolovos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I booked this hotel using Priceline so I did not choose it on my own. Quite honestly, I did not even know there was a Thompson Hotel in Toronto. I was pleasantly surprised. After reading several negative reviews I was not expecting a good experience.

This hotel is slightly west of the downtown core and south of the trendy Queen Street West area. There are plenty of restaurants at all price points in the neighbourhood as well as decent shopping along King Street. Even with all of that - this hotel still seemed out of place to me. That is why I gave it a rating of 4 overall instead of a 5. I suspect if I was not familiar with Toronto I would have had a different perspective.

The hotel itself was unique. I would call it a boutique hotel. I felt like I was walking into a nightclub when I arrived just after 6 pm. The lobby is dimly with a vibrant bar off to the side. Check in was efficient. The hotel room itself was spotless and had a distinct European feel to it.

The view from the top floor bar is spectacular - definitely worth a look even if you are not stopping in for a drink.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear TravelGirl181747

Thank you for your review, I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will return very soon!

Kind Regards,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We were in Toronto for a 3 day weekend and decided to stay at the Thompson Hotel on a recommendation from a friend. We had a fantastic experience! Family of four with 2 young girls, the Thompson is not a typical family hotel but the staff made us feel welcome and they went out of their way to provide us with entertainment otions, advice and activities pertinent to my family's needs. We got great recommendations for restaurants close by, there is a park for kids to play and the rooftop pool and patio is breathtaking. If you are looking for an upscale place to kick off your shoes and where you can forget the stress of the week, I highly recommend the Thompson Hotel in Toronto.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Card9,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am glad that you had an opportunity to enjoy the amenities of the Hotel as well as what is offered in our vibrant King West location.

Delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and felt comfortable and welcome.

We look forward to your next visit!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I must admit , we were somewhat reluctant to stay here after reading some pretty poor reviews, however, our experience with the staff and our enjoyment of all the facilities that this hotel has to offer (including a wickedly beautiful and full function health club) was nothing short of stellar.
We enjoyed our brief retreat in this magnificent hotel and very much look forward to our next visit. All the staff were warm and welcoming...special shout out to Sarah at the front desk, a gem.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DougandTheresa,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your kind acknowledgment of our warm and welcoming staff, particularly Sarah who was honored to hear your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Thompson Toronto very soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was here with a couple of girlfriends at the end of September to celebrate a birthday and we had a fantastic time. When we realized that we didnt want to go out and just wanted to order in and hang out, Ian our In Room Dining server ensured that we had everything we needed. We loved Ian! talk about a gentleman who truly enjoys what he does. Thank you again Thompson for a birthday to remember!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear ontran,

Thank you for sharing your special day with us, I am so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Thompson Toronto. I look forward to sharing your comments with Ian.

Seaforth, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here after a "Priceline Auction". Despite obviously seeing what we paid for our room on our reservation sheet there was not so much as a blink of an eye. I cannot fault the Reception Staff. Very friendly and helpful. As has been said before the lighting is minimal in the lobby area and lifts. I would class my husband and I as being a lot " maturer" than there normal clientele and felt treated accordingly. I asked about wifi and decided for a one night stay it was not worth it, especially as we had arrived early evening. I casually asked if it could be included and the young lady said she would ask the manager and call us. OK I thought!! Well by the time we had returned to our room after supper there was a card under the door giving us free access to the wifi. What a bonus. The room was very spacious and we were on the eighth floor with a view of the CN Tower. Regrettably there is a night club in the hotel and between one and three o'clock in the morning, there was a lot of noise from the departing clubbers. We mentioned this on check out and were told they are " working on a solution"!!
One thing I have to mention is the approachability of the doormen and concierge. They all certainly know the area well.
Oh yes, you have to ask for a kettle in your room if, like us, you like an early morning cuppa!!
Would stay there again .

Room Tip: The higher floors would probably be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Joy W,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to exceed our guests expectations and do all that we can to ensure each of our guests feel comfortable and welcome, I know that our staff will be pleased to hear your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Warm Regards,

Theo Kolovos,
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I typically stay at the Westin Harbour when I am in town, but everything was booked and the only reasonable price or place to stay was the Thompson. I was excited because I knew it was trendy as I had eaten at Scarpetta before (EXCELLENT).

I check in and told I get upgraded to Penthouse...I think, whatever...just a bigger room. WELL...it was a Penthouse. Meeting/Dining area with table for 8, game room with TV on wall, pool table, wet bar and mini keg system (have to buy the keg), living room with lots of seating, huge tv, HUGE marble bathroom with soaking tub, standup shower with steamer, heated floors. Bedroom was fine, big comfortable bed and another tv. Large floor to ceiling windows throughout, lots of space, hardwood floors, a powder room by bar...full kitchen...the place was bigger than a lot of apartments I have lived in!

So obviously my review is bias...but it is a really cool hotel. The only drawback, the hotel rooftop bar...can you guys take yourselves any more seriously?? They treat it like it is an exclusive club and it is only ok. I came back and was hassled by the front desk, questioning me if I was staying there, not believing what room I was in, not believing the color keys I had...only to go up there and there are 5 people. Get over it.

I would stay again if I got the chance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dumpty27,

We are always delighted to hear from our guests. I am glad that you enjoyed your complementary upgrade to our Penthouse Suite!

Thank you for your comments with regards to your experience on our Rooftop. I will share this feedback with our team.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!.

Director of Rooms

Been to Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!