“We went for rooftop drinks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

You added Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2V4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #34 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“We went for rooftop drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel is not much to look at from the exterior but everything inside is fancy.
The rooftop bar gives you a great view of the city.
We went downstairs for drinks since there was a private party on the roof that didn't look much or sound like a party.
The bar downstairs was more lively.
$15-$16 for a glass of wine.
Very cozy and comfortable. It wasn't that busy for a Friday.
The waitress was a little flighty finding the tables but sort of added to the fun!
It's worth a stop however the rooftop bar is for hotel guests or invitees on the list!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear wasntme58,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time on our rooftop and appreciated the 360 degree views of our beautiful city.

We look forward to your return,

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place is "better than average" but not completely "very good."

When you walk into the lobby, it is dark and mysterious. A bit unusual for a hotel. The first thing the front desk did was refer to the lobby bar--rather than address my need to check in. That was strange. After check-in, the desk told me about the various offerings in the space: the nightclub, the restaurants, the lounge. While I appreciated being told, it felt a bit more like being in a club with a hotel rather than a hotel that had a club. I don't mind the key card necessity for the elevator, but the darkness, the pounding music, and the swanky feel was a bit pretentious.

The room itself was open and large. The lighting system (switches) is designed to assist the guest, and the hardwood floors were a nice touch. The TV could be larger for such a "luxury" space, but by and large, I had no complaints on the room. As a matter of fact, I slept well in the comfortable bed.

It was the air of pretension that lingered, including upon check-out. While I was staying there through a Priceline deal, I was charged $2.65 or so for "taxes" on the Priceline charge. I didn't fully understand that as Priceline had already charged me $20+ in service fees and taxes. And now the hotel had to nickel and dime me for charges that had already occurred?

Would I stay here again, Priceline or not? Probably. It's not really "me" as it's a bit too vibey. But my other half would have loved it. I was there on business, and it's more of a "date place" than a "work hotel." But I recognize it was nice to "shake things up" and experience something a little bit different.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Thorbbert,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you appreciated our hardwood floors and state of the art Lutron Lightening system.

This year the city of Toronto has implemented a “Destination Marketing fee” of 3%. When booking your reservation through a third party this information is provided prior to the completion of your booking. I am very sorry if you felt that this reflected badly on your overall impression of our Hotel.

Hopefully you will have an opportunity to return with your wife on your next visit.

Best,

New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Lovely big room, great bed, good room service, free luggage storage. Car parking more reasonable than anywhere else and handy to Billy Bishop airport for our crappy flights with never to be used again Porter Airlines (how do they manage to trash an expensive, new, hard sided suitcase in one short flight...and then not give a rat's backside!?) Would stay there gain for any reason! Good location for anyone visiting Toronto.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear christiem2010,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry about the experience that your new suitcase had on the flight over. Luckily there are several options for replacement of such items close by to the Hotel, and of course our staff is always on hand for a quick repair to ensure you and your belongings get home safely.

We look forward to having you back soon,

Rhinebeck, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Come on, how often do you get this amazing luxury while traveling??? I love this hotel. Clean, sleek, contemporary styling from lobby to room. I love the amenities and in-room snack drawer and stocked fridge. So tasteful. Rooftop pool is sublime and club scene is tolerable and chic. A little on the noisy side Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday, but totally worth it. Got an amazingly stylish ride to the airport in the hotel Jaguar, thanks to Albert--so lovely. What a bonus. My new favorite hotel group. Thanks for an amazing stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Isabelle B, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We delight in exceeding our guests expectations and I know that Albert will be thrilled to hear your comments.
We hope to welcome you back to the Thompson Toronto Hotel very soon!
Best,
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My favorite part of this hotel is the location, but it's also fairly luxurious. It's a happening scene so you better be into that. Pool area is super nice but tiny, and you can't have a drink by the pool. A little pricey but you do get a spacious room with everything. Mine even had a balcony. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear GP52,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in the vibrant King West Village.

We hope to have you back very soon,

Kind Regards,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My new wife started work the Thursday after our wedding and as such a honeymoon was not possible. After much deliberation we decided to take a three night staycation honeymoon at The Thompson Toronto and this turned out to be a excellent decision.

From the moment I was offered an early check in and a room upgrade on the day of our wedding right up until we were granted a late check out every request we made was carried out in a efficient, courteous and friendly manner. The King Suite we were upgraded to was amazing and the rooftop pool and bar is definitely one of the highlights of Toronto. We enjoyed the experience of staying at The Thompson so much that we extended our stay by two days. We plan to return for our first anniversary and hopefully for many more after that. The Thompson Toronto will be the only hotel we recommend to visitors to this city going forward.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Patrick O,

Thank you so very much for your review, we are delighted that you chose to celebrate such a special occasion with us and we look forward to your First Anniversary!

Please contact me when you plan to return so that we can make sure to arrange something special for you,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I know Toronto very well and truly know the hotels in the City...
The Thompson is really a great hotel for singles/couples/families/dog lovers...location is ideal for tourist/business/pleasure stays..

The staff strives do go above and beyond their job description..I must make a special note regarding .. Lousia Duhamel..front desk "can make it happen"..so helpful and informed of the "best of the best"...

The rooms are very comfortable and the Suites are fantastic too...If you want to have a great experience in one of the best Cities of the World...Book The Thompson

Room Tip: Do not use the parking lot across the street.. not secured..worth the cost for hotel valet!