“Not Family or Business Friendly” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel

Save Saved
You added Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2V4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
EASE INTO FALL
Ranked #45 of 142 hotels in Toronto
ontario
“Not Family or Business Friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed in this hotel while on business and my family came along. The hotel is for the up and coming "hipster" crowd who want chic and swanky. No business center, no free Wi-Fi, No ice machine - you have to order ice through room service? Bed and linens were fine room was ok nothing fancy. Door was warped and so it stuck every time you entered or left - made a racket to wake the dead. the pool is roof top (amazing view) but small and in the middle of a bar that had frequent special functions making the pool inaccessible. Valet parking is $40.00 per night so factor that into the bill. My wife did not like the glass wall shower as you can see a silhouette. Free coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning but no coffee maker in the room. It is in the King West area with lots of good restaurants but a bit of a hike to the Eaton center and the Young street attractions $12.00 cab ride one way.

I doubt I would stay here again although it was not a bad stay or hotel it was just not my style.

Room Tip: go high the view is good
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Curioustravelor,

We always enjoy hearing from our guests, I can appreciate your feedback and I would like to thank you for sharing with us.

Director of Rooms,

440 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This hotel offers everything you need under one roof, and a staff that caters to your every need. The rooms are magnificent - esp. the king suites with balconies. The rooftop infinity pool and bar are like nothing else in Toronto, and offer daytime and nighttime experiences that are as different as they are amazing. The staff are warm and friendly, from check-in to concierge to the rooftop and restaurant staff. Personalized service doesn't describe it. On-site spa, several bars, stocked mini bars in the room, several restaurants and 24 hour room service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, highest floor available.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jonny tt,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I know our team will be thrilled to read your comments.

We look forward to having you stay with us again very soon!

Kind Regards,

Theo Kolovos,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Tremendous location, a good walk to lots of interesting parts of the city. Good location for a accessing many great restaurants, bars and the like. The rooms were functional and in line with tone of the hotel. It is a party hotel and the sound proofing of halls isn't quite up to the revelers returning to their rooms at 1 or 2 in the morning. The fire alarm at 3 or so in he morning didn't help, even though it was started in the condominium wing of the facility. The view from the roof and swimming pool is something else and not to be missed .... Great diner for breakfast downstairs. Staff were friendly and helpful

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Yendon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests. I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. It is however unfortunate that the fire alarm was activated during your stay, the safety and security of our guests is very important to us. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance that the alarm caused you.

Please connect with us directly, we would like to update your profile and offer you an upgrade on your next stay.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nicely designed and on the surface looks good, but unfortunately it ends there. It has potential, but to us seemed like the hotel is not firing on all cycinders.

We had a large (and expensive) suite in the hotel. The suite had two bathrooms, full kitchen, pool table, and an entire wall decorated with liquor bottles (picture attached). However, there were dusty parts of the hardwood floor that appeared not to have been cleaned in multiple visits which made you think what else in this "too big to clean" suite was not cleaned.

There is a guestlist-ridden nightclub component to this hotel that makes the hotel staff treat everyone like a loafer. Forget about comfort and peace, everywhere you go you're asked to show your room key by a bouncer. And in some cases, i.e. returning to the pool deck after dropping off the (now wet) phones in the room, we were told that the deck is now at capacity and cannot [re]enter (with the rest of our gear and group still at the poolside). It took a chat with the manager to sort.

Some short points:
- Wait/bar staff brought us a pitcher of sangria, no glasses.
- Scant beer selection (mostly different strengths of Corona)
- The poor bartender seemed to have a hard time making some of the simplest cocktails.
- saying goodbye to friends at another table at 4:30am in the diner, we were told we're blocking the way of wait staff delivering food (we were not, and really, it was 4:30am and mister Secret service could see and hear us saying goodbye).
- we got a ride and left to sleep somewhere else in peace.

Unlikely to stay here again until it's cleaned up and managed well.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Theo K, Manager at Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear RMando,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we always appreciate hearing from our guests.
I can understand why you may have thought the floor was dusty when in fact it was not a cleanliness issue but a variation in the stain on the hardwood floors. This issue is now resolved and the stain color is congruent throughout this suite.

It is clear that your experience with us was less than exceptional and for that I offer my deepest apologies.

I can assure you that the service issues which you describe is not a representation of the high standard that we have come to pride ourselves upon.

I hope that you will return to visit us again soon so that you can experience the level of service and luxury all our Thompson Guests enjoy.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

First time I went to the Thompson was back in March 2013 for my girlfriend's birthday. For this occasion we selected to stay in a King suite (which said it included breakfast when we booked). We chose the hotel for its location and a place for our friends to meet before going out.

Check in was easy and the room was a good size, although not completely clean, as there were hand marks all across the mirror next to the bath tub.

We decided to have a couple friends over to have a couple drinks. This is where we started to have troubles. A few of our friends were able to come up and hang out quietly, however come 9:50pm no one else was allowed up to the room. This was a Saturday night! I found this quiet early considering there are 2 bars and a club in the hotel...I understand being quiet after 11pm, and minimizing noise for other guests, but never I have seen a 10pm limit on people coming up to the room.
Also, according to their rules you are NOT allowed to drink outside alcohol in your room. One of my friends coming up to my room with a bottle of wine in this hand, but the security made him check it at the front desk... I can understand that this can be a concern at a family hotel, not sure how I can understand this at this type of hotel. I have never come across a hotel in my travels that do not allow alcohol in the rooms. But, our group moved on and had a great night out in King West.

Come 3:30 AM and being alseep in the room, there was a fire alarm in the hotel. After a canned message from the concierge on the speaker system, it was not clear if I was to leave the room or stay in bed. Not to face a potential fire we left our room in our pyjamas and headed outside. By the time we got outside, there were other people but no one from the hotel was in charge or directing the guest. The bouncer/security at the door initially didn't want to let us back in because he didn't think we were hotel guests... When we finally were let back in, it was never clear as to what happened and if there was any problems. The whole ordeal lasted about 30 minutes, and we were never really able to get a proper sleep.

The next morning, we went down for our breakfast at the diner however we were told it was not included, because the King suite package did not have it included in March. Although our reservation was made in February and there was no note of this or any restrictions that were told us about our reservation date.

We spoke to the manager and finally we were given our free breakfast, and after complaining about our other problems he offered us to return for a free night later on in the year.

So we returned in July 2013 and stayed again. The room was fine, and we enjoyed a drink on the rooftop patio. Luckily we did not experience a fire alarm in the middle of the night...

Two days later I checked my visa and I had a $43 charge from the hotel, I called and they said it was for the overnight parking. Since I did not drive my car down there I was slightly confused. they did refund the charge, but it was disapointing that it happened. They just cant seem to get things right! As opposed to other reviewers, I did not find that the staff were friendly or helpful.

I will never stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear optimusreim,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Please accept my apologies for the confusion with your reservation.

We are always able to take reservations directly so if you have any questions or concerns when booking online please contact us directly and we can be sure to clarify the details of your reservation.

I can assure you that the safety and security of our guests is one of our top priorities. I do apologize if the fire alarm was disturbing to you and if you felt the manner in which it was communicated was not clear to you.

I am truly disappointed that you did not find our staff to be friendly and helpful; I will share your feedback with our team.

I sincerely hope that you will return to the Hotel our staff is looking forward to making this right.

Warmest Regards,

Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

When its 40 degrees outside the only way to see Toronto is from the Thompson Hotel pool - you won't be disappointed. Don't worry about getting up early to snag a pool side lounger - go for the roof top sofas where you can eat and drink as well as dipping in the pool - unbeatable! Staff everywhere in the hotel is the best - friendly and accommodating. Have been coming here since it opened and am never disappointed. As an interior designer, love the design of the hotel and Scarpetta award winning outdoor dining area - very romantic, food and drinks great. Hotel is walking distance to most theatre and music venues. But the best part is before or after you go out you can enjoy drinks in the coolest bars in town - the lobby bar or the roof any time or year! K.Stone

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Katherine S,

Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the exclusive amenities we have to offer for our guests.

We look forward to your next visit!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed for three nights and loved it. There was a fun vibe, huge rooms, and a competent and casual restaurant that always seemed to be bustling. Lots that is walkable from the location as well, and close to all the cool spots on King West. There was a cool bar on top as well, with a Lovely view of the city -- not the Gansevoort but pretty great for Toronto. The best part, I got the room for $100 a night on PriceLine. It was a steal at the price, and I loved my stay.

Room Tip: You'll want a view of the lake, so up, way up.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Peter H,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had an opportunity to appreciate the vibrant King West neighborhood in which we are located.

Our Rooftop and it’s unprecedented 360 degree views of our beautiful city is truly a sight not to be missed when visiting Toronto.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Director of Rooms

Been to Thompson Toronto - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!