“A fine hotel especially for Zoo-goers!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Toronto Scarborough

Save Saved
You added Knights Inn Toronto Scarborough to your Saves list
Knights Inn Toronto Scarborough
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4694 Kingston Road, Toronto, Ontario M1E2P9, Canada (Formerly Howard Johnson Scarborough)   |
Ranked #119 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Sarnia, Canada
“A fine hotel especially for Zoo-goers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed four nights (during a heat wave!) and appreciated the powerful and quiet air conditioning in the room. We appreciated the EXCELLENT, prompt and friendly service at all hours of the day! The staff printed out directions for us, recommended places to eat, and were generally very approachable and helpful.

Bear in mind it is a WALK-UP so if you have any sort of mobility issues book for the main floor.

The room was small for a hotel but comfortable. The flat-screen tv was a nice feature. The hotel corridors were somewhat narrow. the bathroom was clean and bright.

This hotel is 'out in the middle of nowhere', though there is large plaza a few minutes drive away with restaurants and such. If your plan is to do stuff downtown consider taking public transit (buses are every ten minutes and go right to the subway stations) which can be an adventure in itself!

The Toronto Zoo is a mere ten minutes away by bus!

We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed here with my wife and 2 year old son for a night before we went to the zoo in the morning. The hotel is older and the narrow hallways make it feel like you are in some old downtown motel. They've tried to fix the place up but most of the reno's look like DIY. When we opened our door and it was catching on the floor, there were no pillows on the bed, no TV remote and dispite being non smoking it smelt like an ashtray. We were at the end of the hall and there were cots sitting next to our room and there was a sketchy back door propped open that led to an alley. After I turned out the lights I felt something crawling on my hand, luckily it turned out just to be an ant. In the morning I killed a few others on the desk. The shower resembled something in a public changeroom but made the room smell a little bit fresher. The funny thing is my wife and I were laughing because we've both stayed in worse hotels in our days. I guess you get what you pay for but next time I'll spend a little more and stay someplace nicer to get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We spent 7 nights at this hotel and had no issues. I stayed there with my wife and daughter on a vacation to Toronto. The distance to downtown Toronto is long but there are several attractions on the way, including Bluffers Park with marina and sand beaches along Lake Ontario. The room we had was comfortable and the only minor issue was a crack on the sink. It didn't leak but we reported it to the concierge and he was very pleased to offer us a different room. Breakfast was also simple but free. All in all I would stay at this little hotel again and walking around the hotel is not dangerous at all as some reviewers have suggested.

Room Tip: Book early and you will get a better deal.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
HoJoScarbManager, Manager at Knights Inn Toronto Scarborough, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide a positive review. We are very delighted that you and your family were happy with our hotel and service. We hope that you will visit us again whenever you are in the Scarborough area and let us service you to our best capability.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I was in for a 1 day symposium at the UofT Scarborough last week, and I was surprised when I just noticed that this was rated one of the worst hotels in Canada! I was not unimpressed - the room was very clean, renovations clearly done recently. It certainly wasn't the nicest room on the planet, but the bathroom was very clean, lots of clean towels, and front desk guy who helped me to my room apologized for having no bath towel rack (either hadn't been installed yet, or installed and came out). Clearly, they are trying hard to get rid of their reputation (and I am happy to help - I would probably go back although my wife probably wouldn't join me because of the reputation). Very nice big flat screen TV, bed was clean, AC worked perfectly (very important considering it was hitting 30deg outside). Hallway wasn't the nicest looking, but what did I care? Didn't even know there was a pool, so no comment there. Very quiet night: couldn't hear anyone else around me.

One annoyance: the internet didn't work while I was there. They offered free wireless internet, but it didn't work the night/morning I was there, which was annoying, but the guy at the front desk worked hard into the night trying to get it working for me (with no luck, but I appreciated the effort). Guy working seemed to really care that I had a good stay - I called him many times regarding the internet, and other things, and always was very happy to help.

Parked a rental car on site with no issues. Great price and well taken care of. Great location for UofT Scarborough, and the 401 (5 minutes to the DVP in rush hour, an hour from the Airport at 6pm, an hour and a half to Pearson at 5pm). Continental breakfast included one of those waffle makers, fresh bagels, fresh milk/juice, cereal, etc.

Overall, perhaps it would have been worse if I had stayed longer (checked in at 7pm, out at 8am), but I was very pleased for the location and the deal.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
HoJoScarbManager, Manager at Knights Inn Toronto Scarborough, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Thank you for the review and thank you for picking our location as a place to stay. We have never been rated as one of the worst hotels in Canada. And in fact have only been open for 2 years. We apologize for the lack of Wi-Fi during your stay as we are in the middle of an upgrade to our entire system. We pride ourselves in the level of service we can offer and truly hope you will stay with us again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

My wife and spent a whole week at this hotel and were absolutely overwhelmed by the level of service we received. We have stayed at 5 star hotels in the past, yet this was far superior, no request was too big. The guys on reception were absolutely fantastic, particularly Tahar and Ryan.

We were duped by Expedia of the distance from downtown Toronto, but it was actually no problem as it took less than an hour to get into town. Free Wi-fi made planning trips exceptionally easy. The rooms were clean and comfortable with the only slight criticism being the lack of a bath.

The breakfast was nothing fancy, but there was plenty considering it's complimentary (could do with something like scrambled eggs on a hotplate). The free parking also meant hiring a car did not increase costs and made it convenient to get round to all sites easily, e.g, Niagra Falls.

Overall a wonderful experience!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

After reading the latest reviews about this hotel, I was a little worried about the place and the area, but figured I should be O.K. because my husband is 6'1" and weighs 240 lbs., so nobody ever messes with him. I decided to take my chances and booked this HoJo for three nights, as the rate was only $46/night (absolutely unheard of in Toronto!) and the location was very close to my mother's new home in a senior's residence. We were travelling from Ottawa.

As it turned out, my misgivings were totally unwarranted. Yes, the hotel is not on a particularly attractive stretch of road and the abandoned car dealership across the street is a little depressing, but the surrounding area is full of parks and atractive homes, and the location itself is very convenient, with stores, restaurants and the highway nearby. Also, there was nothing whatsoever suspect about either the staff or the clientele that I met, which makes me wonder if the comments to this effect were based on race.

The room was a little small, but not outrageously so, and was spotlessly clean The furniture was all new, the internet connection reliable, the TV channel selection good, and the bed comfortable. As well, all staff were very friendly and attentive.

This is definitely where we will stay from now on when visiting Toronto.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Angers, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Although the staff were very friendly and reassuring, I left this hotel after 1 night, having paid for 3 nights. It is in a rather unpleasant neighbourhood but the biggest problem is the "Getaway Inn" next door which is actually the same building. I was watched when I arrived in my car and there were several youths drinking in the parking lot. They may have been perfectly innocent but their presence does make you wonder where you are and if it's safe. The person at the front desk told me they have surveillance of the parking lot so there is no problem.
Aside from the surroundings (the area, trash on the lawn, other waste in the parking lot), the room was clearly a "renovated" space covering up an older run-down room. The carpet was not clean, the bathroom was ok but there were two shower heads, one of which dripped cold water. The communal areas have only been partially renovated.
This establishment will probably be alright once they take over and revamp the Inn next door, but for now the owners are not making the staff's job easy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
PJP_1982, Manager at Knights Inn Toronto Scarborough, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
We apologize for not responding to this comment sooner, however, we are very pleased to share with you, that we have now acquired the "Gateway Inn" and are now in the process of completing a renovation program of the entire complex. The renovations will be completed by May 1, 2011; so please come and join us as we continue to expand our Howard Johnson Scarborough location.

Been to Knights Inn Toronto Scarborough? Share your experiences!