“Some really special dishes, and some not...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Forte Bistro & Lounge - CLOSED

Forte Bistro & Lounge
133 Richmond St. West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 2L3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
4168671909
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Cross street: Richmond/York
Transit: The closest TTC stop is Osgoode station, but easily walkable from Queen station.
Toronto, Canada
“Some really special dishes, and some not...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

The menu at Forte reads well and gets your tastes buds dancing. However, when the food arrived it was hit or miss, extremely.

The Onion Dumplings were amazing. The soup fantastic. In general all the appetizers were great. The entrees and desserts, not so much. The dessert really not so much. And I hate that. When the last course of the meal turns out to be lack luster.

The dining room itself was OK. We didn't find it overly comfortable, the lighting was WAY to bright for dinner service. It lacked some sort of mood - perhaps better lighting and music could have helped. The wine list was good, however there was only 1 Ontario wine on the list. We always like to see a little more support for home grown stuff. We understand the French and Italians make great one, but a big long list with just 1 Ontario winery?

I'd try it again, but if it didn't do better I'd give up.

• Visited October 2011

52% Recommend
Montreal, Canada
“Quiet Tasty but no Ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We ate here on a Monday night and sadly not too many people were there thus no ambiance however food was decent -fish veggies and very eclectic menu...not sure if it is worth the money but decent....no chocolate on the dessert menu??

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Lack of everything”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Went to lunch on August 23, 2011 with my sister. When I called to make the reservation, I was assured that I could have the fish without batter because I am on a non-gluten diet. But the server said that the chef would not change it because the fish is very small and it would ruin the presentation. Okay, so I ordered the mussels and frites. Service was very slow even though there were only a handful of patrons. The mussels were teenie tiny and over-cooked and the fries were soggy and lukewarm. Fortunately, my sister’s fish pie was better. They did not have de-caffeinated coffee (WHO doesn’t have decaff?) and they offered mint herbal tea but then said they didn’t have any. They also didn’t have any of the chocolate desserts so we had no choice but to have the express dessert.
The server's attitude was bordering on rude and service was extremely slow. The only positive element was the hostess who was friendly.
Can't believe that there are good ratings online for this restaurant.

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
earth
“Not quite there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The restaurant is directly across from the Four Seasons Performing Arts Centre, so it was convenient for us as we were catching a show.
Menu looked somewhat interesting, and prices were reasonably three-starish. Read some decent reviews, and the chefs' bios looked good. So we made a reservation.
It was a Saturday night, but there was only one wait-staff. Not a good sign. For about ten to twelve occupied tables, one waitress just didn't cut it. An older gentleman (maybe the owner) started helping out, so did the maitre d', but service was still kinda slow and not quite professional. Had a family diner feel to it. Nothing really wrong with that family diner feel, of course, except for the fact that the prices were not really family diner prices.
Food was adequate but unspectacular. Others here have commented on the strange combination of sushi and bistro fare, but interestingly, it's the sushi that saved the day. The bistro stuff was really quite so-so. Dessert was quite a disaster as well.
At these prices, I don't think I'll be back.

• Visited August 2011
Toronto, Canada
“French food AND sushi?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011 via mobile

We went to Forte last night to meet a group of people. When everyone showed up, we started inspecting the menu. Right away we were confused by the fact they claim to be a French restaurant, but then have a full sushi menu. We all found this quite strange. Right away I noticed the menu was much different from the online menu. This is a big deal when you have dietary restrictions and use online menus to determine which restaurants you can dine at. The one thing on the menu I was able to eat had been removed. Strike one. One of us inquired as to one of the menu ingredients. Two servers seemed puzzled and could not answer this basic question. They said they would send out the chef. Strike two. We asked to see a cocktail menu and there wasnt one. The server was unable to tell us which vodkas they had and told us we would have to speak with the bartender. Strike three. The fact that all of this happened before we could even order drinks made us head for the door. Disorganized, overpriced, and a rather boring interior is how I would describe this place. Other reviewers have described it as unpretetious - I totally agree - but one step further, clueless. Perhaps the food is great, but it takes more than that to make a positive dining experience. I rated the food highly, to be fair.