“All day vegan breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Karine's

Karine's
105 McCaul, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (China Town)
Improve this listing
Ranked #414 of 6,561 restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: China Town
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
“All day vegan breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

My husband and I had breakfast/lunch here after our one night stay in Toronto. I was so excited to be able to order vegan French toast that I forgot to specify which topping I wanted. And I wasn't asked. So I was a little (well more than a little) disappointed that it came out with strawberries and strawberry syrup on top...I had wanted maple syrup. Aside from not having maple syrup, the French toast could have been cooked a little bit more. It also came with a lot of fresh fruit on the plate and the coffee was good.

My husband ordered the vegan burger in a wrap with a side of garlic fries, some fresh fruit was also on his plate. His vegan burger was very tasty and the fries were delicious.

Karine's is located inside a building (along with many other food court type restaurants) that is directly across the street from an art school. There were many students about and Karine's was the busiest place by far.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Toronto
“Perfect weekend brunch - or everyday hangout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

There aren't enough compliments I can give to the food and the people who run this Toronto gem. I only discovered this place after people from my work kept talking about the "cool, hippie place" in the Grange. The food is always fresh, always delicious and the people just want to make food to make their customers happy.
My regular is their All Day Breakfast Special which for $5 is IMHO the best deal you can get in this area. For $5 you get bacon or sausage, 2 eggs, 2 piece of toast, regular fries/garlic fries and a heaping pile of fresh fruit depending on the season. Watermelon, papaya, dragon fruit, honey dew, canteloupe, strawberries....we're talking real fruit here not just apples and oranges.
I also love their Eggs Benny almost more than I love my mother's cooking. The peameal bacon that they use isn't like most others, it's a thick, crispy slice of meat with amazing flavour that goes just perfect with their hollandaise sauce. I disagree with people who complain about their hollandaise sauce. It tastes different than other versions because it doesn't come out of a jar - it's their own homemade kind that isn't artificial tasting.
And seriously, I can't say enough about their garlic fries. Crispy on the outside, hot on the inside, and I'm the kind of person who loves their fries with a little bit more crisp and crunch so it bodes well. If you're not big on garlic then stay away...far far away because they load their fries with garlic like white on rice.
I hope this place never shuts down, and it would lose all of its charm if they ever opened another one. Thankyou so much for creating a wonderful positive space with fresh and delicious food!

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Friendly, good & cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I had the lunch special and was very please with how much food I got for $5. It was really quite tasty and served on a ceramic plate- which is fitting is this is NOT typical food court junk. Yes, I was addressed with sweety and lots of smiles. Are we so cynical that this is a bad thing??? Go, eat and enjoy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Very friendly service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

The owner is very friendly and generous and calls people Sweetie, but that is just her personality.

Food court eatery with all day breakfast with some vegan options plus Middle eastern dishes. A lot of garlic imo.

Toronto, Ontario
“Friendly, fresh and affordable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Karine's restaurant is friendly, fresh and affordable! Maggie, Karine, Stephanie and their grandma are great - always smiling and happy.