“Great location and facilities but customer service leaves something to be desired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown

You added Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Peter Street, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2G5, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25% off
Ranked #39 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Southfield, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

I stayed for five nights at the HGI Toronto Downtown for a business trip. I will try to keep this review as concise as possible but I have a lot to say!

The location was very centrally located in the downtown Toronto area. Actually, the hotel is located in the "Entertainment District" which, for a business-minded hotel, might not make the best sense. Unfortunately, I arrived around 11pm on a Saturday night and the street outside the entrance to the hotel was crowded with "club-goers", and crowds which needed some more control/restraint. The transportation from the airport (Airport Express) refused to drive down the street the hotel is located on due to how busy and congested it was requiring me to walk two blocks in a suit, with my luggage through a busy crowd! Upon my final arrival, I found the hotel lobby door was locked and took a few minutes of struggling in order to gain entrance. As I had requested weeks in advance, the "quiet room" was not available and I was told that I could switch if it was too loud. The room given was facing a club's alley where there were people outside all night playing cards and drinking/smoking making for a terrible first night of rest after a long day of traveling. I was told that although my request for room location and king bed was not granted, the hotel was "full" and there was nothing they could do. As a upper level HHonors member, I found this unacceptable, yet, I continued to endure and eventually the clubs closed and the weekend passed making for a more quiet week of sleep.

Overall the building itself was immaculate, very clean and modern. The cleaning staff were very good and eager to please. A microwave and fridge in the room catered to my "doggy bags." The pool area and jacuzzi were well maintained and tended to every shift. The business center had two newer computers with printing and fax services available. Free high speed wired and wireless internet was great. The lobby was small but inviting. Although, they should have had coffee/tea and/or water available 24 hours daily instead of sporadically as they did during my stay. The cookies, which I was not offered upon check-in were nice but somewhat stale tasting. One issue which arose every morning was in retrieving a taxi cab. You would think that there would be a taxi cab stand or quick access to a taxi cab in the morning at this hotel, unfortunately, this was not the case and upon more than two occasions was delayed in my departure even after calling 15 minutes in advance in order to have a taxi waiting for departure.

Since this was my first visit to Toronto I had desired some information regarding places to visit and see. Although helpful, they were not that knowledgeable regarding these questions and I found it to be disheartening. There was major disparity in quality of service between the day and night shift workers. Some extra training in customer service skills is warranted for the night shift workers as they were not that attentive nor friendly to my questions or requests.

Overall my stay at the HGI Toronto Downtown was satisfactory. I do not think that the price of the stay $200 CAD/night was justified given the above, however, perhaps this is the normal expectation in a downtown Toronto Hotel. My suggestion for the hotel management is that they work on customer service and satisfaction as this was a frequent theme that seemed to be present throughout my stay. I was never asked if there was anything they could do for me....something that I have come to expect at Hilton Brand hotels which has kept me frequently returning for many many stays.

I would likely not stay at this hotel again when visiting Toronto.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I am just disappointed with this hotel service quality as a Gold HHonor member. Since my room has only shower, I've been asking a room with a bathtub many times, but they don't my request seriously. They just say "come tomorrow" and next day I go to the front desk, "we don't have one." They didn't even take a note of my request. I am so not going to stay with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel is conveniently located in the center of Toronto within easy walking distance from all major attractions and shopping. The rooms are clean and modern and very quiet for a downtown hotel. I can honestly say I have never slept better in a hotel bed. Bathrooms are clean, and spacious.

The fitness room and the pool were very small, which did not matter much as we appeared to be the only guests using them. Both were clean and had working equipment.

Valet parking was very expensive considering that even during the Toronto International Film Festival there was plenty of parking available close to the hotel for almost 1/10 of the cost charged by the hotel.

High speed internet was included in the fee and worked perfectly throughout our stay.

Breakfast was fairly expensive and although choices were limited I believe there was something available for everyone.

Staff was knowledgeable and helpful without being intrusive. We were accidentally charged an extra night for valet parking, but staff handled the mistake professionally without hassle which made us appreciate the service even more. We will definately stay here in the future if we have the opportunity to visit Toronto again.

Sudbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

The location was wonderful, a stones throw from King Street which is the entertainment district area.

Its my new favorite place to stay, you can walk to the Eatons center quite fast and of course Queen St is even closer.

Hotel is brand new, with valet parking, service is exeptional with extra personal touches of the staff remembering you from check in.
Beds were adjustable to firmness and the chairs in the rooms are awsome!

Housekeeping changed towels when not needed, and so on and so forth!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Toronto after realizing my husband has a corporate rate, we have never seen this hotel offered on discount sites. The hotel is absolutely fantastic. This is really a comfortable, modern, clean, safe and younger feeling hotel.

The food in the bar was first rate, I would dare to say, probably some of the best in the area. The staff were also incredibly accommodating with anything we asked for. We enjoyed dinner and drinks in the bar before heading out and were really happy we did.

I highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to be right downtown.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I was with my wife in Toronto, September 2010. The Hotel location is excellent, near the CN Tower and many other attractions. The staff is very polite and attentive. On the day of checkout, the front desk got a limo for the price of a common taxi to take us to the airport. The Hotel is very clean, has free WiFi, is well decorated and very comfortable. The bathroom is large, the shower is great, everything you might expect from a hotel of this category.There are some clubs close, but had no problems with noise, even at the reception. Hurry, this hotel is what you need in Toronto!

Aurora, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

I booked online with travelocity, which was prepaid for a room with a king size bed, when i arrived they asked for a credit card for a deposit. the next morning i recieved my check-out saying the balance of $169.91 had been settled to my card. since i had already been charged $200 by travelocity i asked the girl at the front desk if they ahd made an error. she assured me they had not and that the charge would not appear on my card. 3 days later the charge appeared on my card. still trying to get it settled.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown? Share your experiences!