“Well, it's cheap... and there's a reason” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pop's Place

Pop's Place
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pop's Place
180 Codsell Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M3H 3W7 , Canada   |
Ranked #85 of 119 Toronto B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Well, it's cheap... and there's a reason”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

When the taxi pulled up to the house, I just about cried... all this way for this? When I got inside and was shown to my room, I thought, you're kidding right? The house was dirty, smelly, the bathroom disgusting, the shower was basically a whole in the wall with a water spout. I was shocked. The only thing that saved my stay there was the guests (also dealing with all this). The host tried very hard to make us comfortable and I'll give him credit for that. The breakfast was simple (don't expect anything gourmet) but satisfactory. The house also had a lot of ants so bring an extra pair of shoes for stomping. Would not stay there ever again!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2006

We had a lovely week in Toronto, but I have to admit when we first arrived at Helga's Place my husband and I seriously considered finding a new hotel. Our tiredness was the only thing that kept us there that first night! When we arrived our bed was unmade and the room had obviously not been cleaned. The host did make the bed for us, but we cleaned the bathroom ourselves - not what you expect to do on holiday!

The bedroom furniture was quite shabby but the bed was comfortable and there was an electric fire which was lovely to come back to as the weather was so cold. We enjoyed getting to know some of the other guests over breakfast, but don't expect a conventional meal - we had chicken nuggets for breakfast one day!

Although the house is a long way from downtown Toronto, the metro train is very fast and there are connecting buses from the station to near the house, or you can walk to the station.

The host, Peter, was wonderful and would do anything for you, although this made it difficult to complain about the room as he was so nice and would probably have been offended! Having previously stayed in some fabulous B&Bs in Canada, Helga's Place was a bit of a shock and I would probably look for a chain hotel next time, at least you know what you're getting, and it's easier to complain to a manager of a large hotel than to the owner of a house.

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2004

My boyfriend and I stayed their for our anniversary--the house was beautiful, nice, clean Scandinavian design... we had the loft room with the whirlpool and skylights; it was gorgeous and the bed was very soft and comfortable. We didn't meet Helga, as she was out of town, but Peter was the perfect host--really sweet and going out of his way to make us comfortable and happy. And the cat was adorable too. We plan to stay there every time we go to Toronto.

upstate NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2004

The price was cheap and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was gross though, obviously built by a do-it-yourselfer, wasn't even painted, bumpy walls with holes, tape all over, and the caulking in the shower disgusting. No thought had been given at all to even basic amenities--there was several small pieces of very used soap, an empty shampoo bottle, the toilet didn't flush, and not even a water glass. They were obviously unprepared (though we had an advance reservation). Breakfast included bread that was pulled out of the freezer while we waited at the table, and muffins that were clearly days old.
Very unprofessional.
If you just want a cheap bed for the night, it was quiet and comfortable.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2004

After several friendly and amusing emails we expected a fantastic experience and we were not disappointed. Helga's wicked sense of humour, her generosity and her lovely spatious home were at our disposal. She took a personal interest in all her guests and made us feel more like visiting friends than paying guests. I loved her cat Opey too. Thanks for all the great adviceand for making all your facilities available to us. Lyn and Don

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2003

My husband and I looked forward to our stay but were very disapointed.
It was a noisy home that could use a good cleaning. Not what you would call a bed and breakfast.

Louisville Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2003

We stayed at Helga's Place in October of 2002. She is a warm and gracious person, very helpful in suggestioning sights to see and directions to get to those places. We felt right at home, and she is a terrific cook too! We enjoyed the room with the whirlpool tub and the skylights over the bed. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Been to Pop's Place? Share your experiences!