“Very Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Thunder Bay North

You added Days Inn Thunder Bay North to your Saves list
Days Inn Thunder Bay North
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1250 Golf Links Rd, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B-0A1, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Billings, Montana
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had a great stay here after a very long drive. Employees were friendly and happy. Room was great and bed was great. Breakfast was the usual, but very good and well attended. I thought it was a little pricey, but I did not compare with others. I went by the rating and I was glad I did this time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Key West, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at the Days Inn on our circle the lake trip recently. Everything about it was completely acceptable but nothing really special. It's basically what you'd expect at a Days Inn. We chose it for the price which was fair for what it was. Odd enough, we had the same problem with the GPS that another reviewer did. Not a big deal, but kind of weird.

The room and hotel were clean but nothing special. It was what you'd expect of a typical value hotel. The bed and room were comfortable and clean, but you could tell they were never particularly top of the line and they were getting a bit worn around the edges. It's a little farther out towards the edges of town, not really in a deserted area but not really in the downtown either. I didn't see anywhere I felt we could walk to, but it was an easy drive down to the lake and downtown attractions.

The one thing that did stand out for us was the women at the front desk. I hope them to be particularly helpful, even when we arrived later in the evening. The woman who helped us check out in the morning was great, with lots of helpful tips for our trip which went above and beyond anything to do with our stay at the hotel.

All in all it was fine. I can't really complain about anything but there's nothing special about it either. It's a decent budget hotel but there's nothing to make it stand out as exceptional.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Recently I stayed at the Days Inn on Golf Links and I was, to say the least, severely disappointed by the way I was treated as a guest. Check in was by no means smooth. In fact, after waiting a solid 10 minutes to even be acknowledged (there was only one front desk attendant on duty) I was then questioned as to the reason of my stay. This was followed by the THREAT of “We don’t allow parties, if we find out you are having a party you will be kicked out”. If I was 19 years old again maybe I would understand but being that that was a decade ago and renting a hotel room with my partner by my side I found this EXTREMELY offensive.

This tainted the remainder of the stay. The room was an eye sore without a view. There was a dated tube television and the complimentary amenities were slim for a room that would be classified as a “suite”. When I approached the front desk for a mending kit I received a good roll-of-the-eyes, as if I was a nuisance. A guest is not an interruption of work, they are the purpose of it. I do not feel that by renting a hotel room I should have to explain to anyone what I will be doing in it. Especially given the fact that I was paying a premium rate of $170 for a king suite. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, unless they are prepared to have their privacy invaded and explain to the front desk staff exactly what they plan on doing in their rightfully paid for room. A big disappointment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

It was refreshing to be greeted by very pleasant and helpful ladies at the front desk. Lately I have been really put off by front desk people who don't get the part about hospitality and behave like you are putting them off by asking for your room. Check in was not only a breeze but a pleasure after a 10 hour day of driving. The beds were very comfy, the hotel is really clean and the breakfast was alright...nothing special but enough to get you started.
Would we stay here again...no. Will we recommend it to others...no. Here's why. The air conditioner is soooo loud and ineffective. The unit would kick in for 30 seconds blowing cold air, then quit and the room would become stiffling before it would roar into action again. It bothered us the first stay...but it was even worse on our second stay on our way back from the west. We had a room on the second floor on our return trip and we could clearly hear the people staying above us walking back and forth and when they flushed, it sounded like our whole ceiling was going to cave in with a flood of water. On the second stay I could even hear other air conditioners reving up. As much as we would love to recommend this place I just can't. A good nights sleep is so important when you have a really long drive ahead of you the next day. If they can fix the air problem then we would consider staying again but it was sooo frustrating.
The restaurant, 5 Forks was very good too. Really nice people...but....

Room Tip: Go for a top floor so you don't hear the people above you and their plumbing.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We have chosen this hotel on our way from Toronto to Winnipeg. First problem was that my TomTom GPS was not able to locate the hotel. It brought us to the nearest transaction but we had to look for the rest, but wasn't that difficult. We were received with smiling faces, an extra bed was offered and breakfast was included. Rooms were not brand new, but clean ans quite. Breakfast is nothing close to an international breakfast buffet, but the fresh waffles made it up! Good for a night, but not as a holiday destination.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have been to Thunder Bay a couple of times now and the last time I stayed was at another hotel that was outdated and smelled like A535. I vowed never to stay there again. This time I chose to stay at the days in based on some of the reviews that I read on Trip Advisor. Well I must say I really appreciate the comments that I read and the Days Inn has been a pleasure to stay at. I came here early and that made everyeffort to find me a cleaned room and get me settled in. The staff is very friendly and the breakfast and hot coffee are a bonus. Thanks to the staff at the Day Inn for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Thunder Bay was a stop on our Harley trip around Lake Superior. We picked this property as it was convenient, sitting just off Hy 17, and also near downtown (although not quite walkable), and restaurants (walkable), but it turned out to be a somewhat unexpected gem. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were large, modern, light, quiet and, above all, meticulously clean. Beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom had an extra mirror and "make up area" outside the lage toilet/shower area which was convenient for my wife. The motel had a very nice work out room and a clean and bright guest laundry area that worked out perfectly for us too. The continental breakfast, although pretty much "standard" for these chain hotels, had everything that you would expect, was clean and nice, was served in a large area with room to manuver (also a nice little outdoor dining area when the weather is nice), and was well stocked and attended. (TV in the breakfast area too if that is important to you.) The motel is also immediately adjacent to an excellent restaurant/lounge called Five Forks, and within easy walking distance of other restaurants, ranging from fast food, to casual sit down, to "higher end" like Five Forks. This Days Inn, in our opinion, gets "two thumbs up".

Room Tip: We had a King room, but my guess is that they are all comparable.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Days Inn Thunder Bay North? Share your experiences!