“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   686 Memorial Avenue, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 3Z5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Brechin, Ontario, Canada
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We would like to thank the EconoLodge Thunder Bay for a fabulous experience while during a difficult time. Our brother had passed away and we were in need of accommodations to enable multiple family members to attend his funeral. The Econo Lodge came forth with a great rate package and their hospitality was outstanding. Even thought the hotel was in renovations and all the headaches you would expect with that everyone from the front desk to the housekeeping staff went out of their way to ensure our stay was a great as could possibly be made. We would recommend this to anyone. Clean rooms, great service and a very warm welcome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Leslie S, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank You for your review. We were happy to be able to assist you through your difficult time, and look forward to having you visit us again under better circumstances.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Orangeville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for one night while riding my Harley across Canada. The location is not in the best area and the property somewhat rundown, The rooms are small but the staff was friendly and the WiFi was functioning well. Overall not a hotel that lends itself to being recommended and in fact it is probably the worst property in the Econo lodge Canada chain.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Leslie S, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank You for your review. I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectiations on your last visit. I encourage you to visit us again after our renovations where you will find our same great staff in a more inviting environment, that I am sure will change your mind about us.
Saint Paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Been reading through the reviews of others regarding this Econo Lodge in Canada. One review said they didn't feel safe. FWIW, Thunder Bay has good police protection. I didn't receive the same feeling as that reviewer.

This is a fairly basic motel. That being said, the people running it were helpful and extremely friendly.

Everything in the room worked. We had a min-fridge (that we didn't use)

Comfortable beds. Rooms slightly on the smallish side, but as this was the cheapest chain motel room price we were able to score, we were not bothered by this fact. Rooms very clean.

The tv reception was just fine. (Another reviewer griped about that)

Typical US continental breakfast layout, but at least they had peanut butter and honey for your toasted english muffin! (Oh how we miss those European breakfast buffets!)

Good restaurants nearby, ditto the LCBO if you need to purchase beverage supplies for your room.

It's also fairly close to the Hoito restaurant, a local landmark in this city. Don't miss the breakfast as the pancakes are marvelous.

Bottom line:

best price
comfortable
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

It smelled of smoke unfortunately there was lots of noise the rooms were small as well. Someone knocked at our door in the middle of the night around 2 oclock we were only here because the super 8 lost our reservation and sent to the junkyard.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Sioux Lookout, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed there during the winter for a weekend and I must say that it is one of the worst hotels we've stayed in.Room was tiny and beds were so small and reeked of something died there.On my way to the front desk,I opened a hallway door for a cleaning lady and greeted her with a GOOD MORNING.,she didn't even acknowledge me or thank me for my kind gesture.The hotel has a very unfriendly atmosphere to it.Plus they put a security deposit from my credit card.I don't recommend this hotel to anyone..Place is terrible they should close it down.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Compared to my 3 other hotel stays on my current trip, this one was the worst. The room was tiny, and the bed was old. I did not feel secure in the location, and had a bad feeling as I drove in. I had passed the cancellation deadline, or else I would have gone somewhere else.
I also found out that they put a 250 hold on my credit card without telling me, and when I found out, it didn't seem to be an issue with them - they said they removed it. Two days and it is still there - the woman on the phone was very rude, and did not care. I asked to talk to the manager, but she said they don't have one. I was going to stay on my way back, but will no longer do so.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

You have to request a fridge if wanted when you make your reservation. Older hotel but very clean. The ony thing I can complain about is that the air conditioner was off on arrival. It took about 6 hours to be able to breath in that room! They had a coffee pot but only shampoo and conditioner. There was no body lotion which is usually standard in every other hotel. We were told we needed to leave a 250$ deposit reguarding smoking damage. I have never been asked for that at any other hotel! The notice on the mirror is usually sufficient about the cleaning bills if evidence of smoking is noticed in a non smoking room. All in all it was a nice 2 night stay. It had the continental breakfast - a cooler with yogurt would have been nice!

Room Tip: Ask to have your air conditioner turned on in advance and if you need a fridge include that in your...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!