“Fairly old hotel that could use an update” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre

You added Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre to your Saves list
Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   698 West Arthur Street, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 5R8, Canada   |
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
“Fairly old hotel that could use an update”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for five days in October 2013. The staff were friendly and courteous when I checked in, and I was given a room furthest from the lobby. The hotel us a huge sprawling one storey building with a three storey section near the back. I was able to unload my car using the rear door of the building so it was actually very convenient. The room was very dated, old fixtures and furniture. The TV was a nice flat screen but was mounted on the pedestal that used to hold the big heavy CRT TV. Grout around the bathroom tiles could use some repair and there were some patches on the walls. The fitness room had one treadmill, an elyptical, a bike, and some free weights, and the treadmill quit working after I ran 30 minutes on it. The pool looked nice but I didn't have a chance to use it. But the room was kept clean, and there was no noise when I needed to sleep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate your time in writing a response. We take great pride in the service our exceptional staff delivers, and in the cleanliness of our rooms and thank you for pointing those out. Due to the proximity of the Airport the building was built out rather than up, but we do have multiple entrances accessible by drive up. Again, we truly appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Moose Jaw, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I just recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights.....one of those days we did not receive any cleaning service. The next day we requested fresh towels from the front desk. After a 30 minute wait, we still had not received them and made another request at the front desk. After another 30 minute wait, we went to a housekeeping cart that was already on our floor and grabbed the towels ourselves. On the next day, we got our room cleaned but they never made our bed, just pulled up the covers without even straightening the sheets. There was another 3 rooms in our party and we heard the same comments from the others. The evening staff is unable to help if you have a problem. Our room did not have a remote for the TV and we had to go and retrieve them from the front desk by ourselves. The staff as a rule, were not friendly, did not smile or even greeted you politely. Did love a waitress that we had for Sunday breakfast, short with glasses. Basically the only polite and helpful person we met on our stay. My husband did like an evening guy in the restaurant also. All in all, I would never go back to this hotel and if we ever go back to Thunder Bay, we will find other accommodations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for taking time to write about your recent stay, and for pointing out areas where we can certainly improve. I have brought your concerns to our housekeeping and front desk teams to ensure this does not happen again. We take great pride and have made improvement in our cleanliness and service standards but still have work to do. I was very pleased to hear about the positive service encounters with our dining room staff, and from your descriptions know which staff deserve the praise which I will pass along. Thank you for staying with us, and I hope to see you again.

Stoney Creek, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Arrived at this hotel and the first impressions of the place from the out side was that it looked run down not good for something that is supposed to be hotel and conference Center would have expected a better out look to the place.. this needs a good clean up and painting.. Second impressions inside didn't look any better the furniture in the front lobby reception area had seen better days. The sign on the front doors had no smoking sings on it but the love seat in the lobby had cigarette burn on it.. the over all impression is that the place need a big clean up to reach the standard of a hotel and conference Center. Arriving at the front desk I let my wife book in and took a look around taking note that the the other corner of the desk there were 4 people standing out side the desk and I assume the booking in receptionist behind the desk who was in a deep discussion with the group. she neither looked over at my wife nor attempted to approach her but continued her discussion with the group and when finished went in the back office before attending to my wife, no welcome greeting nothing not even a smile just booked in told where our room was in all fairly loud voice number announcing the room number for anyone within ear shot to hear. The hallways smelt very musty like they needs a good hoovering and dusting.. Thankfully the room was much better.. spacious and fairly well maintained only problem here was dusting could have been done better
Over all not a very good impression for a so called " hotel and conference Center "
I have to add though that I did find out that the hotel is now under a new manager and hopefully and from chatting to him during dinner that things will improve. we ill see. !

Room Tip: rooms with out side access is good however I will caution you book i=on line if you intend to have a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate your time in writing a response. We will certainly be addressing some of the issues you raised in your comments with our staff at the desk. So you are aware, we have made a number of upgrades to the property including new carpeting, beds, bedding, TVs, and furniture in all guest rooms. We have also launched a brand new menu, and strive to deliver exceptional and consistent guest service. We hope to see you again and thank you for your comments.
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stay here once a month for business on my way back home. I have been doing this for amost 5 years now. The hotel recently had some up grades, and it has gone a long way. The rooms have always been decent...I have never had a dirty room, bed or bathroom. The location is great if you are using the airport (they have a free shuttle). Plus there a a few restuarants/bars within walking distance (1-15 mins). The River Rock restaurant in the hotel is fantastic...food is good, price is good. The bar staff is awesome...friendly, but not bothersome. Since I am here often, all I have to do is sit at the bar and my drink is ready within minutes. Dale and Louisa are fantastic!

The hotel staff is so so nice, especially Miranda. She always has a smile on her face and so polite.

The cost is reasonable. The other hotels in the area are anywhere from $20-100 more a night (I get a company rate of $100 taxes in), and if all you are looking for is a place to lay your head down at night, then this is the place!

Room Tip: No spa that I know of....there is a pool and fitness centre, but I have never used them. The rooms...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate your time in writing a response. We will certainly be passing along your praise to Louise, Dale, and Melinda. We strive to deliver consistent customer service excellence and have very high cleaning standards. So you are aware, we have made a number of upgrades to the property including new carpeting, beds, bedding, TVs, and furniture in all guest rooms. We have also launched a brand new menu, and deliver exceptional and consistent guest service. We hope to see you again and thank you for your comments.
Chaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Seedy hotel was what my son said the moment we saw the property. We wanted to cancel our reservation but hotel availability was very limited during the time we were there. We reserved a room with two double beds but were told upon check-in that there was none available and that since we booked online, rooms were not guaranteed. We ended up with one double bed and a lumpy sofa bed. The hotel itself is very dated. Carpets were worn and looked dirty. The blankets had cigarette burns, pillows were lumpy and was really laughable. We were in a downstairs room with a door that opens out to the parking lot. Unfortunately, people were going in and out of the nearby rooms and doors were banging, kids were running around late into the night. And just as we're getting some sleep we were woken up at 5:00 AM by a group of adults who were talking and swearing loudly outside of our room!! It was unbelievable. Had to call front desk to get those people to quiet down. It was our worst hotel stay ever and would never go back there even if they offered the room for free. And for the $195.00 per night that we paid, it was a total rip-off. It was a good thing we only stayed for 1 night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate your time in writing a response. We will certainly be addressing the issues you raised, and are sorry that you felt that your experience was not worth the price. So you are aware, we have made a number of upgrades to the property including new carpeting, beds, bedding, TVs, and furniture in all guest rooms. We have also launched a brand new menu, and deliver exceptional and consistent guest service. We hope to see you again and thank you for your comments.
Ontario's Near North, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have a couple of reviews on this place and I will add two more. We stayed here this past month as. We're flying from Thunder Bay. The two rooms we got both before departure and after we're much better than the others I have previously stayed at. It seems you MUST ask for the rooms facing the front, upon checkin, we were sent to one room that was suppose to be cleaned but wasn't so once again we had to return to the desk. This time it was fine. Front desk do seem a tad disorganized, but I think they are trying really hard. They do have a shuttle service, which is very important to me. I still think there is a lot of room for improvements in the rooms,ex. Lamps walls etc, but I ASSUME with time this will change. Both times I was charged a reasonable corporate rate. I was confused at one time as I was quoted one rate for one room but when I told them I did not want to stay in one of there awful rooms that I had been previously stuck in they quoted me another rate. I would stay here again only because of the parking and shuttle service they have, but would make sure I ask for the rooms in the front as they are by far the best.

Room Tip: Ask for the front rooms facing the parking lot. By far they are the nicer ones.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate your time in writing a response. So you are aware, we have made a number of upgrades to the property including new carpeting, beds, bedding, TVs, and furniture in all guest rooms. We have also launched a brand new menu, and deliver exceptional and consistent guest service. We hope to see you again and thank you for your comments.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We traveled to Thunder Bay on July 19th till July 22nd. The room was clean and comfortable. Daniel at the front desk was so helpful and great!!! When we needed extra towels it was no problem. Daniel was kind enough to print out maps for us to see tourist stuff in Thunder Bay. He made our trip easy and enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate your time in writing a response. We will certainly be passing along your praise to Daniel. So you are aware, we have made a number of upgrades to the property including new carpeting, beds, bedding, TVs, and furniture in all guest rooms. We have also launched a brand new menu, and deliver exceptional and consistent guest service. We hope to see you again and thank you for your comments.

Been to Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!