“A gamble” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre

Save Saved
You added Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre to your Saves list
Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   698 West Arthur Street, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 5R8, Canada   |
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Ontario's Near North, Canada
“A gamble”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We booked this hotel because of the convenience of travelling to the airport. Well on our first day of arrival ( before we flew out) service and check in we're great. The young lady was extremely helpful and courteous . We proceeded to our room which was rm.113 I believe. A charming room and very much worth the rate we were quoted. We left our vehicle there to be picked up after our return from holidays. So here we are on the 15th returned check in was quick, and were directed to rm. 106........don't even go there. The room was horrible. Both locks on the door were damaged. So damaged in fact that I went to the front desk to inform the young lady that I want it on record that I did not damage these locks. She said she would record it, but I found out thenext day apparently there was no record found. I should have asked to be moved,but our flight was delayed for over an hour we were tired, well you get the idea. I went back to the room and took pictures of the locks, so i would have proof in case there were any questions. Well once I got back into the room, I discovered holes in the wall where screws once were but never fixed, dried food in the "blue box", mascara on the hand towel (1), dirt on the bathroom floor. Not at all like the room we were in the previous week, and definitely not worth the rate I paid.
Now when I mentioned to the gal the next morning the lady told me and I quote " the rooms are all the same". I dare anyone to go down to each of those rooms and say they are both the same. I told the lady perhaps she should take a walk and view both rooms. Now I will give her credit, she did give me 25% off the room was kind of her. But I can only suggest you ask for room on the front side as those in the back are horrible. I will add here that the bed was small but comfortable but that is where the quality ended in that room. When I told her about the locks she did send maintenance down IMMEDIATELY. Why this wasn't done sooner, well I don't know. I will stay here again, only because of the convenience to the airport, BUT I will be sure to ask for a better room then what I had on my return. Advise, be sure to ASK to SEE the room first.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to see the room. Just because they tell you ALL the rooms are same , look at the r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our property. It is always appreciated to hear feed back from our guests and allow us the opportunity to see our hotel in our customers eyes. We thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you experienced with your stay, and please be assured that we are committed to taking the necessary steps to correct these issues.
I am pleased to share with you that our property is currently undergoing renovations, including new carpets in guest rooms and corridors; new mattresses and bed frames; new bedding and new curtains. As we head into a new year we are committed to continuing with our improvements to ensure that all our rooms meet the expectation of our guests.
We truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you return again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We noticed a few renovations since our last stay, but were quite happy to get the 50% discount for a night waiting for a flight. Restaurant was really good and new beds were quite comfy.I was not so impressed the last time we stayed there,. so they really did make improvements. Checking out was a bit lengthy, not enough staff on duty.

Room Tip: At last a place to stay where they still allow us terrible smokers.. much appreciated.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager A, Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on your recent stay at the Airlane Hotel & Conference Centre. We appreciate your business and the feedback we receive will assist us in evaluating our product and service. The new bedding packages that was added this summer only enhance the guest experiance. We credit our success in the hospitality industry to providing good service and comfortable accommodations. We look forward to seeing you return to the hotel in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

My first experience in a Thunder Bay hotel; with a sale on we snagged a Queen room for $65/night. At that price I wasn't bothered by a little black mold in the shower. The radio was broken & I needed a taller chair for the desk, and maintenance came right away with better ones. The building sprawls so the corridors are long and not that appealing. There is a bit of a melancholy feel to the place, but the bed was clean and comfortable and the location was convenient (just a few hundred meters from the airport runway so you can see all the planes landing). We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was also good value. Staff was pleasant. I would stay again but hope that they'll give all the showers a better scrub one day.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our property. We appreciate your feedback and your business. We pride ourselves on our service, so it is reassuring to hear that your maintenance issues were addressed quickly and the service throughout met with your expectations. This year we began with some property updates that included new bedding packages and carpeting throughout. We are currently addressing your concern of the mildew in the bathrooms, and expect to have them all addressed early next year. We look forward to seeing you return to the hotel on your next trip to Thunder Bay.
Regards, Heather Howkins
Geraldton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I wrote a very negative review of the location when it was still a Travelodge, and after several negative experiences. I vowed never to willfully stay there again. However, a combination of work requirements and curiosity following their $1.1 million renovation got me back. I was impressed. The new carpets, beds and televisions were great. The rooms and most corridors looked freshened up. Most importantly, all staff were extremely courteous and professional. I was also happy to see that the exterior of the building is receiving a new paint job.

There are still needs for improvement: the furniture in some of the rooms needs replacement. Some furniture, (such as the TV cabinet in the room I stayed in), doesn't properly function, (the cabinet doors didn't fully open, obscuring the view of the TV from anywhere but one position). The hotel would greatly benefit from an elevator, and some of the corridors need better lighting and new ceiling tiles.

The Airlane appears to be investing as competition from branded hotels like Delta, Marriott, and Hilton - all on their way to the city - will determine the fate of the Airlane.

For now, I'd appreciate this location. The rates were great, too!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Note that the hotel lacks elevators and there are third floor rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. It is good to know that the updates at the hotel are being recognized and appreciated. We are committed to continuing property improvements. Our team of professionals work hard to ensure that as guests you receive a warm welcome and a comfortable place to stay. We look forward to seeing you back and thank you for your business.
Savage, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Lesson learned "trust the reviews". Our stay at this establishment started with a less then friendly front desk who very short and unhappy. Once we arrived in our room it appeared to be neat until you open the shower curtain. (black mold). Our second night was most eventful. Our toilet overflowed and was running water all over the floor. When I went to the front desk for assistance they were unable to find a plunger did not have access to a mop and didn't even attempt to come up to the room and assist us. They did however give us a key to another room (at 11:30 at night a full hours after we had called with the problem). Once we got everything moved into the new room we pulled the covers back...only to be met with a spider which had been killed between the sheets and left a blood spot. Oh and the shower looked the same as the first room (black mold) Needless to say we will not be returning to this motel EVER and just wanted to share the experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and will assist us in improving our product, service and standards. We apologize for your experience and unsatisfactory stay. I have spoken to the front office manager and our maintenance team to ensure that moving forward any issues received are dealt with quickly and efficiently.
This year the hotel has been going through a renovation, complete with name change back to the Airlane Hotel & Conference Centre. We are committed to continuing the improvements to enhance our guest experience. The mildew in the bathrooms are being addressed currently and will be completed by the end of the year.
I would like an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and provide you with a stay to meet your expectations.
Bonne Terre, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Was disappointed had been here 3 years ago and with reported remodeling expected more. I could not see much change, At the prices, you would think atleast free coffee would be available in the lobby. Will use Comfort Inn or Best Western next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and feedback provided. We appreciate your business and the feedback will assist us in evaluating our service. We do not provide coffee in the lobby but every guest room has a coffee maker and coffee to allow our guests to brew fresh coffee at their convenience . During this summer we began with renovations and updates to the hotel, including changing the name back to the Airlane Hotel & Conference Centre. The updates are on going and will continue to address need areas of the hotel throughout the coming year. Our guests rooms have been updated with new bedding packages and carpeting throughout the hotel. We are dedicated to improving standards and service at the hotel and hope to see you return in the future.

Been to Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!