“Not bad!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Thunder Bay

You added Super 8 Thunder Bay to your Saves list
Super 8 Thunder Bay
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   439 Memorial Avenue | Lakehead Expwy. to Harbour Expwy., Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 3Y6, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Calgary, Canada
“Not bad!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

This wasn't too bad of a motel. The rooms were pretty outdated, but very clean! The only thing I didn't like about the rooms were the windows. They were very old, and very small. I felt a little bit claustrophobic in the rooms because of how small they were.

They front desk agent working when I checked in was extremely friendly! She was very upbeat, and was so friendly which I really appreciate when in a hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

Plain, basic, cheap motel. The room was nothing special, but the noise was terrible! We stayed on a Friday night, and noticed a bass beat from a nearby club -- not too bad, but it was there. But, when the bars closed at 2am, there was lots of banging and loud talking and loud voices that went on for far too long. There was somebody on the desk all night -- they should have dealt with it without requiring other guests to complain!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

Well, I've been to several Super8 Motels across Canada on business and this one is the worst. This place does not mention anywhere that they sold off the attached building to a Night Club that pounds music past 2am. My walls were literally shaking. I tried politely asking the front desk for an explanation and I got this quote... "Oh, no one told you that there was a night club there?, That's too bad, but I get a complaint at least once a night from guests when I work". However, he did make it very clear that they will NOT offer any money back or compensation; if there was any hope I had to call the manager in the morning. So, turns out that the manager doesn't work on weekends and the lady at the front desk in the morning would rather punch me in the nose than try to help. Please note that I'm not an old whinny business man looking for an excuse to complain about the hotel and life, rather, I just thought you may want to consider what you will get if you book here. Bad service and no sleep. That could be good for some but I rather get some sleep if I'm paying $100 a night at any place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Aalen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

We reserved another hotel, but they messed up our booking so we had to look for an alternative. The Super 8 was located alright for our drive through purposes. The staff was really friendly, the room was big and clean. Just the truck driver next door was a little noisy and would not stop the engine of his truck because it was so cold. The laundrymat was fast and cleaned well, the heating was good, this night we had -26C. Boston pizza is in walking distance and was fun to visit.

• Liked — Boston Pizza around the corner
  • Disliked — truck drivers not stopping their engines and Donut-drive-thru next to the rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Well, overall the experience at the Super 8 was descent. My mom and I visited Thunder Bay to see the town, and visit the University campus (about 5 minute drive from the hotel, 20 minute walk) and we were only staying for less than 24 hours so for the purpose of having a place to sleep with clean accomodations, it did just that. The hotel staff was good, espescially the front desk lady. She was nice enough to let us check-in a bit early, since our flight landed before regular check-in time. Continental breakfast was good, everything was fresh. Room 216 was clean, and comfortable, TV had good channels. It was cold as the heater hardly worked, and the air conditioning allowed a small breeze through the bottom and created noise from the busy street in front. Luckily i am not a light sleeper and didn't hear the noisy bar next door, or any other noise for that fact. I would reccomend ear plugs for those who are lighter sleepers...and ask for an extra blanket!

There is Internet available, $1 for 10 minutes, telephone says it allows local calls but all calls said they were long distance which required me to use my cell phone. Soap, shampoo and Blow Dryer are all available in the room. No iron though.

There are restaurants, and bars near the hotel, and more just a short cab away. Everything in the city is no more than 15 minute drive. NIGHTLIFE: I would highly suggest you be careful with the places you go to, as advised by a friend who lives there many places are dangerous espescially for younger crowds. The bar next to the hotel is 100% safe and fun! There is always a cab available, and many attractions, malls and restaurants are close to the City Centre (cleanest part of the city). and a 20 minute walk from the hotel down Memorial Ave.

If you are coming to stay for a weekend, in hopes to explore the city and not spend too much time at the hotel, this one is for you! The hotel is clean and provides basic necessities. For longer stays I would reccomend others.

Average place for good price. :)

• Liked — location, friendly staff, clean comfortable room, MTV
  • Disliked — musty smell in hallway, cold in room, no iron, noisy street
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

As I write this review, it is 2 a.m. in the morning and I am in the lobby due to the fact that there is a bar that is atached to this motel and the music was extremely loud. We are a party of four adults and the noice coming from our room was so loud we ended up in the lobby. Upon approaching the front desk gentlemen, we informed him of our dilema and there was nothing that he could do for us. When booking the room at 9.30 p.m. the front desk lady did not inform us or advise us that there was a bar attached. If we were informed of this we could have had the option to stay or not based on that inforation. Another thing is that the motel smells very bad in the room, musty and it is a non smoking room, there is a strong smell of cigarettes. Upon trying to rest in our beds all of a sudden each one of us started scratching our legs, we al became very itchy. I guess after reading this review one could see that we will NEVER stay here again. Certainly we will ask the management what they will do for us based on the fact that there was no seep in the room, but the comments thus far is that there will be nothing done for us.

Stayed September 2008
Lakeland, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed one night at this property and was pleased at how clean it was. It's on a busy street but was amazingly quiet at night. The furniture was comfortable. The first floor rooms have a door to the outside parking and to the interior hallway. The free breakfast included fruit, cold cereal, muffins, toast, coffee & tea. There is a Robin's Donuts next door and a Boston Pizza within a short walk. An Irish pub is located across the street. For a relatively small city, I'm not sure it's worth $90+ with taxes, but it was clean, quiet & adequate. My only other complaint is that I was not able to park my vehicle in the hotel parking as it was full. There was ample parking on the far side of Robin's Donuts where the overload parking was located, including enough space for those with trailers or large rigs.

• Liked — Very clean & quiet
  • Disliked — Price seemed high and couldn't park near my room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Thunder Bay? Share your experiences!