“Expensive room...slept in parking lot” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria Inn

You added Victoria Inn to your Saves list
Victoria Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Arthur Street West, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 5R5, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Pickle Lake, Canada
“Expensive room...slept in parking lot”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Sunday 25 May 2014....I called down to the lobby....had asked for someone to look at my air conditioning...no one came...I waited up for the person...thinking it was too late..i decided I needed my rest so I made myself a bed in my van...in the parking lot so I could sleep...air conditioning works in my vehicle...Monday 26 May 2014...this is when I put in the review...I tucked in the curtains...to block out the sun as much as possible...I went to my training and turned up the air conditioning...came back at 4:30...the room was a balmy 28 degrees celcius...I called down to the lobby again and they sent up the porter...he said he adjusted it lol...something I was doing the last two days lol...I waited for a hour and a half and took the picture and now the room is a lot colder 27 degrees celcius ...I was told I could not move to another room and they had fixed the air conditioner at three pm that day...I got my employer to call and they told her they were fixing it...two different stories...to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt...I will try to sleep here tonight...I want to turn on the flat screen...but with heat that tv kicks out...this room will be a furnace...for the price of the room and the quality of sleep I am getting....I would recommend staying somewhere else....cause it looks like another night in my van...in the parking lot of the Victoria inn

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
OntarioRay74, General Manager at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for taking time to submit your review. I do apologize for your inconvenient stay with us at the Victoria inn. We were indeed having trouble with the start-up of the air conditioning unit and over a three day period there was a few unexpected shutdowns on the unit. All has been fixed at this time and the hotel has a much more comfortable climate. I believe we have spoken now so thank you for reaching out. I hope in the future you will give us another chance.
R.N.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Kenora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Excellent stay - absolutely nothing below par. Check-in staff were gracious and friendly. The luncheon in the banquet room the next day was beautiful - great food, well presented, nice linens and well set up for a large crowd. The room was nicely done, spotless and spacious. The restaurant staff were exceptional and the food was good. All of the hotel staff including housekeeping and maintenance personnel encountered in the hallways were pleasant. I'll definitely be booking there again!

Room Tip: I've found in the past that rooms away from the pool tend to be quieter. The hotel is close to...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad we met your expectations and that you will be returning to our hotel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Before we get started, I want to first list why I chose to actually write the review. I didn't sleep, AT ALL last night. Upon checkout at 7 am (couldn't leave fast enough) a message was left for the Manager, "Ray" to call me this afternoon. I have not heard from him, although I'm sure he will be quick to respond (verbatim) with much the same fashion as he has to all the other negative reviews I have since found on here (so I'm not holding my breath). Also, I've had a two hour nap at home and so that is why my review is "being kind" - I just couldn't post the one I wrote at 4 am while I watched 2 of my 3 children sleep, and the other shaking in bed for fear someone was coming through the multiple connecting doors.
This time our stay consisted of two nights in the family suite $$$. Very dark, poor lighting. Great balcony, but no lighting there either. Upon check-in, a couple of minor issues - door knob falling off bathroom door, missing coffee pot... these were dealt with quickly and professionally (this in part is why overall rating has been upgraded from 'terrible' to 'poor').But I had to wonder, if the room was booked a month ago, has no one been in to check the room? How could a coffee pot be missing? How could a doorknob be hanging loosely off the door and not have been seen? Makes you wonder about the integrity of this establishment. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
The first night was a little troubling as the people directly across the hall did not understand the concept of "no noise past 11 pm", and the children and people in and out of that hotel room door long past midnight was aggravating, as the door slammed shut each and every time. I did call front desk, and they were quick to respond with security up to the floor, however, they never did 'catch' them slamming the door, nor did they catch them having personal conversations with one another shouting down the hall. But, I continued to monitor the halls since I wasn't getting much rest (for all of the other guests -I'm sorry I did my best), and called several times. Alas, not a good sleep.
Fast forward to evening number two. Too many misbehaving guests for the lifeguards to handle - 4 of them on but much of the time was spent buddied-up and chatting. There was ONE lifeguard this weekend that stood out above her peers. I don't know her name, but she certainly knows who she is. She had her hands full, but did her best to remind young children not to run poolside, remind older children not to drown each other, and to keep young children out of the hot tub without parents. I saw her tenderly attend to children that misplaced their parent, and steadfastly banish a child from the slide who continually defied rules. It was difficult to keep an eye on the budding and pushing in the slide line up and often my children (and I'm sure others) were left waiting in line for some direction or go ahead to know if it was safe to proceed. My 12 year old could have been seriously hurt however when a grown up found her way standing in front of the slide entrance to the pool; he collided with her (and even though it was not his fault she was standing there, my son apologized). Alas, I could go on about how challenging this environment was for the lifeguards, but as a parent, I realize it is my job to watch my kids in the pool (and I watched like a hawk). It's really too bad so many other parents don't. So for the one lifeguard who tried for her entire shift to keep up, THANK YOU for your diligence, you know who you are.
On to the evening... pool shuts down at 1100 pm. But the noise carried on. Screaming/running children up and down the hall, and up and down.. until after 2:30 am. At 1130 pm, someone tried to breach entry into our room - in the kids portion of the suite. So, my terrified youngsters and I crowded into our king size bed. I continued to listen to tv's and yelling from every connected room. Then roll in the multiple check ins at 2 am. More yelling, many more doors slamming, constantly because most wanted to go out for cigarettes throughout the night. Except for one person, who decided to smoke in the room; because that blew in to my room. Security was quick to respond to that complaint as well. They knocked on MY door to ask if its possible that anyone was smoking in MY room?
I requested that perhaps security could escort these middle of the night check-ins to assure they weren't lingering in the hallways and I was assured that 2 security guards were on as there were a lot of 2 am check-ins occurring on our floor. They did not do anything, however about the slamming of doors all night long. I finally was able to drift off some time between 4:30-5 am, only to be awoken at 5:05 AM once more by a frustrated parent with her baby - yelling at the child to go the "(expletive)" to sleep, followed up by what sounded like a smack and some crying. It was so disturbing, one of my children woke to that and was shaken by the violence of the arguing and yelling. I waited until 6 am, and woke up my last child. We packed up and checked out. I expressed my dissatisfaction to the front desk clerk, who put her training to use - very very apologetic. At some point through the night, someone had slipped a bill for my stay with an adjustment to my final nights rate. My math may be a little off, (from no sleep) but a savings of 37.5% off for one complete night of NO SLEEP is a slap in the face!
I was asked if I planned to stay for breakfast? Not a chance! The clerk wrote down some of these concerns, and said she would pass them on to management; "Ray". I could expect his call, later today... and its nearly 5 pm.
So, never again. In fact, I couldn't be paid to sleep here. Victoria Inn, you've lost my patronage! I am quite familiar with another hotel chain, and their management, and when they open for business in the not so distant future, they will have all of my business - and that of my family's.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel?
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
OntarioRay74, General Manager at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Hello Judy, Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Please first off allow me to apologise for your uncomfortable stay and hopefully I will be able to address some of your concerns.

My normal business week is Monday to Friday, while I was in the hotel assisting with an emergency situation in our community I was not able to respond by call until Monday morning. again I apologise that we were not able to speak. I have since left a message on your voice mail and I do welcome a conversation directly with you.

The door handle has been addressed as you mentioned and I am glad that it was done promptly, our coffee units are pot less as they are 1 cup pod type coffee machines. The room beside yours also had 3 infant and toddler children in it. I do know that your children were frightened when the door was rattled as they had ne idea who was on the other side of the door and for that again I do apologise. I have small children of my own and that is the last thing that I would want is for them to be frightened. The lifeguards do assume responsibility for the pool area and were on rotation and directed by a senior guard. all should have been in rotation so we will review the surveillance and address this concern as well.

We do as mentioned have security and they do patrol the halls from 11:00 P.M until 7:00 A.M they will engage any noise complaint or other concern if they can identify the problem area. I myself attended your hallway noise and smoke concern on your second evening and posted a guard specifically in your hallway for the time we were checking our guests into the hotel to monitor the hall,. Unfortunately there is some noise to be expected when family's with small children who have been traveling for many hours into the early morning. Again I apologise that this affected your stay.

Judy, again we do take great pride in our level of customer service and the level of care we provide to all our guests. I do encourage you to contact me and I will see if I can add positive closure to your previously bad experience.
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

While likely an ok place for families, this isn't the hotel for working travelers. Very thin walls, active construction on surrounding rooms (without warning from the staff) and an indoor pool that's noisy up to 11pm made it a tough place to make or take business calls. With other choices in the area, I'd leave the Victoria inn for leisure travelers.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your Review, a few step have been taken to make our hotel more comfortable for business travelers. We have recently added a few features that will cater to our business travelers in a better fashion. We now have a business or quite wing with restricted access by key card. We have also started a new instant communication feature with in house texting. Thirdly in response to numerous guest concerns we are limiting the pool hours to 10:00 P.M. Sunday to Thursday evenings. The new hours will start on June first 2014.

I hope you will consider these adjustments on your next rip and once again consider he Victoria Inn for your business travel.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have driven across Canada 4 times now from east to west; and the drive through Ontario can get very long and strenuous BUT I've always loved the thought that when I get to Thunder Bay I get to stay at the Victoria Inn. For me the place has always been clean, the staff professional, the rooms spacious, and I love the center court pool. The location as well is perfect for easy access to either the highway or getting in to town for whatever nightlife awaits you. Doesn't hurt that Tim Hortons is across the street either.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid noise just let the front desk know; the pool area can get a little rambunctious...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
OntarioRay74, General Manager at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you look forward to your stays with us here in Thunder Bay. Please ask for a complimentary upgrade next time you are in town!
Thunder Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

over all was a great stay at the hotel. Very clean and the kids loved it. However when reading the hotels site there was a free breakfast but was told when booking thru a 3rd party that it didnt apply. Next time will pay the reg rate to actually save on the breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

OntarioRay74, General Manager at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are working hard to provide a great customer experience and I am glad you received that experience. When booking directly with the hotel we are able to offer our breakfast program which includes any two breakfast entrée’s and beverages in Chicago Joe’s. this program is based on double occupancy at our Best Available Rate. If you are able to enjoy breakfast during you r stay this is a great value. We look forward to hosting you again.
R.N
Ontario's Near North, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed the night of March 29th, and was extremely disappointed. Upon entering the hallway on the third floor, youngsters (8) laying in the hallway, using foul language. Walked through a plume of smoke( hotel is smoke free), getting to our room. Left the room to go down stairs, , same kids LAYING in the hallway in front of the elevator, using the same foul language. Opened the door to use the stairs and was bombarded with ice cubes being thrown by two young girls( I don't think they realized we were opening the door to use the stairs) they yelled out the f word at us and took off. Informed the front desk when we went down. When we went back upstairs, ( hears the clincher) we had to stop and let the security person go ahead oh us........not one word was spoken to the kids, he walked in front of us through the plume of smoke, and no investigation was done, we were not impressed. There have been many other issues with this hotel over my past few days here, and I'm afraid this time they have lost this loyal guest. The great news is that there are new hotels opening very soon, so in the long run, I believe the Victoria Inn is going to loose. Just to add to this, we have stayed I a few of the " cheap" hotels in the past and believe me, I would stay there quicker that I would stay back at the Victoria .......sorry Victoria but you have lost this loyal guest for good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with us on your past stay. I assure you that my team and I are working hard to provide a great customer experience. I followed up to your e-mail with a call to our security provider and a conversation with our night manager. We use these outlets to monitor the property, assist guests, and address any concerns that may arise. Unfortunately we dropped the ball on this evening. Changes have been made to the responsibilities associated with our security provider and I am confident that this will improve our guest experience. I hope you do return and continue to support our property while in Thunder Bay; I am confident we will change your perception of the offerings.
R.N.

Been to Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!