“really nice airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Valhalla Inn

You added Valhalla Inn to your Saves list
Valhalla Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Valhalla Inn Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 6J1, Canada (Formerly Golden Tulip Valhalla Inn)   |
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Toronto, ON
“really nice airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The location has it's limitations - yes, you can hear some sounds from the airport, but that's to be expected for a location that's so close. If you chose this for the location to be near the airport, you've got to expect some sounds. They weren't constant and I had no trouble sleeping, but they were occasionally noticeable. It is an airport hotel, after all.

My room was excellent for this class of hotel.......It was clean and spacious, and although the furnishings and appointments themselves are 3 star (plastic counter top in the bathroom, etc), the space and comfort of the furniture made for a pleasant stay. The pool area (with a hot tub - the jets didn't work well, but the hot water was lovely) was an added bonus.

One tip - if your room has a high number, it will be far from the lobby and have questionable, if any, WiFi service. Pick up an ethernet cable from reception and used wired internet instead.

Room Tip: Higher numbered rooms have poor to no WiFi, so get a cable from the reception desk for internet serv...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

The room was dirty looking. Sink tap sprayed out the front so u brush ur teeth and ur crotch gets wet. One chair in room to eat at table. Overall not inpressed at all. I heard this hotel was the top of the line and its not bobs motel is way better by 100% and is only 72.00 instead of over 100.00. All i have to say is crap. And the food was gross and u get like no food for the price u pay. Gravy tasted funny. And we had fruit flyes in our vineger bottle and when wr complained they only gave use new fries not new everything how gross.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
ValhallaThunderBay, Front Office Manager at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
I apologize that our hotel was unable to meet your expectations. Exciting changes are happening in our Hotel. A Starbucks will be featured in our lobby this month and plans are moving forward with our restaurants. Timbers will remain in its central location alongside the Lounge with updates to the décor and Runway 25 will be re-located into the former Timbers space and re-designed with a brand new look. Early spring will feature additional guestroom renovations to give you additional choices during your stay.
We look forward to showing you our improvements during your next visit to the city.
Courtice, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a very dull, uninviting room. Patched blanket which should be thrown away. Hallway rugs stained. Noisy at night. Very disappointed. Will not stay here again. The only good thing is that is near the airport.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Our hotel is udergoing numerous updates over the next 6 months. A Starbucks will be featured in our lobby this month along with a Starbucks inroom coffee feature. Restaurant renovations are underway with a brand new Runway 25 being revealed and updates to the current Timbers Restaurant and Lounge. Guestroom renovations on the remaining 2 floors with follow to give all our guests that extra choice in their guestroom needs. We do hope to see you again during your next visit to the city.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I decided to take an adventure to Canada (we live in the Twin Cities area), and decided to stay here. When we pulled in, we instantly panicked as this hotel looks rundown, straight out of the 80s, and is right next to an airport. We drove around for a bit to see if we could find a better place, but it turns out that Thunder Bay is... Nostalgic... So we decided to "suck it up" and just take this hotel. Once we walked in we could tell that it was recently renovated. Our room was very clean and beautiful. I would predict that it is actually the best hotel in Thunder Bay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MsThang28
ValhallaThunderBay, Front Office Manager at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel has been undergoing renovations over the past few years and they continue to move forward. A Starbucks will be featured in our lobby and plans are moving forward with our restaurants. Timbers will remain in its central location alongside the Lounge with updates to the décor and Runway 25 will be re-located into the former Timbers space and re-designed with a brand new look. Early spring will feature additional guestroom renovations to give you additional choices during your stay.
We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here October 1st. I called the night day before to get a room, and the girl was very friendly over the phone and had no problem getting a room. We arrived the next day and had no problem check in, we were checked in within 2 minutes. Our room was fairly nice, I was a bit scared from other reviews but when we walked in it the room was better than I expected. There was no bad smells, the bed sheets were clean, the bathroom was clean and towels. Everything was good.
The location was awesome, a 2 minute drive to the airport in the free shuttle from the hotel. We were able to walk across the street to a Wal Mart, Canadian Tire, a Metro, a little shopping centre not much in there though other than the stores I named. There was a Tim Hortons a bit further down the street that is in walking distance.
They had free internet, so I was able to set up our play station with the tv and set up the internet.

We did go for breakfast the next morning, no complimentary breakfast but they did have a buffet for $12.00 we didn't do the buffet we just did theyre special.. I wasn't too impressed with theyre breakfast theyre eggs were not fresh just the powdered eggs, but the bacon was delicious.

All in all I would return to this hotel and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We were in room126 ground floor. This was considered a pet friendly room, but we ended up not bringi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am please to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. As a valued guest, we appreciate any and all feedback concerning your stay. We take pride in ensuring that all guests have a pleasant experience from the time of booking through to their departure. I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your breakfast. I can assure you our hotel only uses fresh eggs in all cooking and baking.
We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Valhalla Inn is very near the airport which is handy for those catching a flight the next day. We were told by a person in Nipigon that this is the best hotel in Thunder Bay. I was a bit leery when I read previous reviews but relieved when we opened the door to our room and it was very spacious, had white pristine bedding, clean, refrigerator, great tv and complimentary internet. The staff at reception were very courteous and helpful. There is an indoor pool and several onsite restaurants but we didn't take advantage of either. There is complimentary coffee in the lobby and also a coffee maker in the room. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in 220 and I would stay there again.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in ensuring all our guests enjoy their stay. We look forward to having you visit again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We looked at three hotels in the area before settling on Valhalla. We were extremely disappointed. To start, our room was very far from the main door and there was no explanation on which door would be best to access our room. It seems the hotel has had one or more major expansions resulting in a confusing floor layout and some of the hallways being ramped. When I figured out the closest door, and moved our car, then there was no luggage cart so I had to go all the way to the front rest and wheel it around and then unload -- all this while trying to keep three tired and hungry kids sane. (And reverse with getting the cart and trying to watch the kids the next morning.) Our first room smelled strongly of dampness and/or mold. The second room had a chemically new carpet smell but we stuck with it. The pool, hot tub and sauna were decent but the general area seemed a little worn. That night, my daughter and I had a difficult time getting to sleep because of two extremely bright lights on the ceiling that flashed every five seconds. I finally put a blanket over my head in order to get to sleep. When I told the front desk about this the next day, the staff blamed me for not calling. (And wake up my tired five year olds who took forever to get to sleep?!!). I asked to speak to the manager, who was not available. I followed up over the next couple weeks and was told that the smoke detector with the flashing lights is standard issue in their hotel. That is a very poor design decision for a hotel, in my opinion.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan L
ValhallaThunderBay, Front Office Manager at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
The flashing lights on the ceiling that you refer to are heat and smoke detectors. The detectors are for the safety of all our guests to ensure you are alerted should there be a need.
Our hotel is quite large with numerous entrances to access guestrooms. For your convenience and comfort, please request a room close to the lobby with future bookings and we will do our best to accomodate you.
We look forward to having you stay with again.