“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Valhalla Inn

Save Saved
You added Valhalla Inn to your Saves list
Valhalla Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Valhalla Inn Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 6J1, Canada (Formerly Golden Tulip Valhalla Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 33 hotels in Thunder Bay
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My partner and I decided to take an adventure to Canada (we live in the Twin Cities area), and decided to stay here. When we pulled in, we instantly panicked as this hotel looks rundown, straight out of the 80s, and is right next to an airport. We drove around for a bit to see if we could find a better place, but it turns out that Thunder Bay is... Nostalgic... So we decided to "suck it up" and just take this hotel. Once we walked in we could tell that it was recently renovated. Our room was very clean and beautiful. I would predict that it is actually the best hotel in Thunder Bay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ValhallaThunderBay, Front Office Manager at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel has been undergoing renovations over the past few years and they continue to move forward. A Starbucks will be featured in our lobby and plans are moving forward with our restaurants. Timbers will remain in its central location alongside the Lounge with updates to the décor and Runway 25 will be re-located into the former Timbers space and re-designed with a brand new look. Early spring will feature additional guestroom renovations to give you additional choices during your stay.
We look forward to having you stay with us again.

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here October 1st. I called the night day before to get a room, and the girl was very friendly over the phone and had no problem getting a room. We arrived the next day and had no problem check in, we were checked in within 2 minutes. Our room was fairly nice, I was a bit scared from other reviews but when we walked in it the room was better than I expected. There was no bad smells, the bed sheets were clean, the bathroom was clean and towels. Everything was good.
The location was awesome, a 2 minute drive to the airport in the free shuttle from the hotel. We were able to walk across the street to a Wal Mart, Canadian Tire, a Metro, a little shopping centre not much in there though other than the stores I named. There was a Tim Hortons a bit further down the street that is in walking distance.
They had free internet, so I was able to set up our play station with the tv and set up the internet.

We did go for breakfast the next morning, no complimentary breakfast but they did have a buffet for $12.00 we didn't do the buffet we just did theyre special.. I wasn't too impressed with theyre breakfast theyre eggs were not fresh just the powdered eggs, but the bacon was delicious.

All in all I would return to this hotel and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We were in room126 ground floor. This was considered a pet friendly room, but we ended up not bringi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am please to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. As a valued guest, we appreciate any and all feedback concerning your stay. We take pride in ensuring that all guests have a pleasant experience from the time of booking through to their departure. I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your breakfast. I can assure you our hotel only uses fresh eggs in all cooking and baking.
We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Valhalla Inn is very near the airport which is handy for those catching a flight the next day. We were told by a person in Nipigon that this is the best hotel in Thunder Bay. I was a bit leery when I read previous reviews but relieved when we opened the door to our room and it was very spacious, had white pristine bedding, clean, refrigerator, great tv and complimentary internet. The staff at reception were very courteous and helpful. There is an indoor pool and several onsite restaurants but we didn't take advantage of either. There is complimentary coffee in the lobby and also a coffee maker in the room. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in 220 and I would stay there again.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in ensuring all our guests enjoy their stay. We look forward to having you visit again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We looked at three hotels in the area before settling on Valhalla. We were extremely disappointed. To start, our room was very far from the main door and there was no explanation on which door would be best to access our room. It seems the hotel has had one or more major expansions resulting in a confusing floor layout and some of the hallways being ramped. When I figured out the closest door, and moved our car, then there was no luggage cart so I had to go all the way to the front rest and wheel it around and then unload -- all this while trying to keep three tired and hungry kids sane. (And reverse with getting the cart and trying to watch the kids the next morning.) Our first room smelled strongly of dampness and/or mold. The second room had a chemically new carpet smell but we stuck with it. The pool, hot tub and sauna were decent but the general area seemed a little worn. That night, my daughter and I had a difficult time getting to sleep because of two extremely bright lights on the ceiling that flashed every five seconds. I finally put a blanket over my head in order to get to sleep. When I told the front desk about this the next day, the staff blamed me for not calling. (And wake up my tired five year olds who took forever to get to sleep?!!). I asked to speak to the manager, who was not available. I followed up over the next couple weeks and was told that the smoke detector with the flashing lights is standard issue in their hotel. That is a very poor design decision for a hotel, in my opinion.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ValhallaThunderBay, Front Office Manager at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
The flashing lights on the ceiling that you refer to are heat and smoke detectors. The detectors are for the safety of all our guests to ensure you are alerted should there be a need.
Our hotel is quite large with numerous entrances to access guestrooms. For your convenience and comfort, please request a room close to the lobby with future bookings and we will do our best to accomodate you.
We look forward to having you stay with again.

Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed for 3 days for business. I had a nice big room on the 1st floor which was far enough from the ballroom where they were having a wedding reception.The room was comfortable and quiet. Friendly and helpful staff. Didn't get a chance to try the pool or restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. I am please to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in ensuring our guests have a clean and comfortable stay each and every visit. Exciting changes are happening in our Hotel this fall. A Starbucks will be featured in our lobby and plans are moving forward with our restaurants. Timbers will remain in its central location alongside the Lounge with updates to the décor and Runway 25 will be re-located into the former Timbers space and re-designed with a brand new look. I hope you will be able to enjoy the restaurant during your next visit. Early spring will feature additional guestroom renovations to give you additional choices during your stay.
We look forward to sharing these changes with you and having you stay with us again.

Thunder Bay, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

There were bed bugs in the room. One of them was super large and fast. I notified the clerk and hopefully they dealt with it so that no one has to go through that. Otherwise the amnemities were great, good tv, shower works, and stuff like that. But bed bugs should not be spread therefore people should be careful and maybe ask about their room. This room was in 156. It can take a while to get rid of them and this was in august so I dont know if they are gone by now. Well we were talking about it and how some people really dont want to catch them and writing a review would be a good notice for people who check the reviews. I do not mean to harm the hotel, but it should not anyway because it is not like any one is doing that on purpose. Just wanted to alert visitors or people that need to stay at a hotel so they are aware. j

Room Tip: Ask about bed bugs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ValhallaThunderBay, General Manager at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for posting your concerns regarding bed bugs in your room during a previous stay. I can assure you, we do not take this information lightly and act immediately should someone suspect that there are bedbugs in their room. However, I am happty to report, that we do have a record on file from the pest control company that we would be happy to provide to you, that should ease your concerns. That room was thoroughly checked and inspected by a certified pest control company and there are no bed begs in the room you indicated, nor in any rooms adjoining or nearby. We have inspections done on a monthly basis for our hotel and take great care to ensure that bed bugs do not become an issue for our valued guests. If you would care for a copy of the report, please contact me directly at the hotel and we will make sure that one is provided to you.
I certainly hope that you will consider the Valhalla for your future visits to Thunder Bay. We look forward to hosting you again.
Regards

Mary McLellan
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a road trip with kids. Quiet decent-sized room, great salt water pool (no changing area), nice lower-end restaurant options with good portions. The second restaurant is undergoing a reno but overall the place is tidy, well appointed, lots of parking, helpful staff. I would be more inclined to give it a 3.5 star (rather than 4) rating but not an option on trip advisor!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite that faces into the courtyard (perhaps they all do) - private because of the trees b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family