“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Valhalla Inn

Save Saved
You added Valhalla Inn to your Saves list
Valhalla Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Valhalla Inn Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 6J1, Canada (Formerly Golden Tulip Valhalla Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 33 hotels in Thunder Bay
Ontario
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights recently for a friends wedding. We were fortunate to receive a renovated room on an upper floor. The room was very nice and very clean. The front desk staff was very helpful. I ate at Timbers for breakfast a couple of times it was very good. They have a very nice business center set up in front of the fireplace however the computers need a bit of an update. I was unable to print out a boarding pass because the software was not up to date and required administrator access to correct. Shuttle service to the airport was quick and efficient. We attended the Wedding New Years Eve and the buffet was probably the best I have every had. My only wish was that the shuttle service would have include local area attraction such as being able to drop guests off at the mall as an example. I am accustomed to staying at Best Western's where this service is generally provided. This shuttle was strictly airport only. All in all it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sioux Lookout, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We are on a long drive up North and decided to spend a night in a hotel and went with this one. First off it is a very beautiful hotel. Very different from others. The front desk staff was very nice and even upgraded our room which was great. Our room has a hardwood floor at the door and then leads into nice carpet. The room has a nice size updated TV and desk. We also have a microwave and small fridge which is always a bonus. The pool looks beautiful and there is parking located all around the building which is convenient. The washroom in our room is also nice. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I always stay here for "mini vacations". We always get the jacuzzi suite on either the 4th or 5th floor. The room is beautiful and always very clean. They are both newly renovated and are beautifully furnished and decorated. They have a huge round jacuzzi tub and a beautiful spa shower. There is also a living room with a mini kitchen and a second bathroom. The beds are comfortable, pillows are great and sheets are always clean and soft. The lobby is beautiful, with a wood burning fireplace that smells great in the winter time. The pool area is amazing. Beautiful salt water pool with a very nice tile hot tub and cedar sauna. The only complaint there is the workout equipment should be in a separate area. Although i do think they offer free passes to the athletic club across the street. The hotel has two restaurants, both have awesome food. Timbers offers more casual dinning and Runway 25 is a very elegant, modern steakhouse. Perfect for a romantic dinner without having to leave the hotel! Room service is great, good selection and always comes quick! We love the sunday brunch buffet as well, is it awesome! The staff are friendly and always helpful (with a few exceptions). The cleaning staff are great and pay close attention to detail. We plan on returning as much as time permits! Always leads to a beautiful, romantic and relaxing night away! Hands down the best hotel in thunder bay! I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: -The fifth floor is fully renovated and is only accessible by room key. Very quiet. -Rooms 405 and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

It is day 3 of 4 days at the Valhalla and we will never stay there again. Our entire family (including a child and baby) is sleep deprived and we haven't had REM sleep for our entire stay. Why? Because the Valhalla has ancient "motel-style" heating units that do not have operating thermostats. It's the middle of winter and it is freezing cold outside. The heater in our room only has 2 options (even though it looks like there are multiple options, none of them work). The two temperature options are

1) sauna super hot
OR
2) off which drops the temperature to freezing cold outdoor temperature within 20 minutes

This means we have to turn the heater on for 20 minutes to heat up the room, which eventually gets the room to a sauna-like temperature. Then we have to turn the unit off and allow the freezing temperature outside to cool down the room until it gets uncomfortably cold. Then we have to start the heat again, which brings the room to a hot sauna temperature again. We have never stayed in a hotel that didn't have a heat system that automatically turns on and keeps the room temperature consistent. This is the equivalent of staying in a room with a wood stove that you have to refuel every 20 minutes.

We called the front desk at 5 am on day 2 to complain and they sent a security guard over to look at our heating system. The security guard reeked of alcohol and cigarette smoke and told us that there was nothing wrong with our system. He told us every other room was the same.

Even when you adjust the heat to be cooler, it still comes out of the hearing system super hot. Someone needs to be awake to physically turn the system on and off every 20 minutes or we either melt or freeze.

The only solution we could think of was to go to Canadian Tire to buy a portable heater that has the capability of maintaining a room temperature.

This is considered one of the nicest hotels in Thunder Bay by locals and is the worst experience we have ever had in a hotel. Never again!

The only good thing I have to say about the hotel is how amazing the housekeeping staff are. We never had a cleaning lady leave us a thank-you note for leaving a tip. That has been our only positive experience here.

• Stayed December 2012
ValhallaThunderBay, Director of Sales at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Jamie,

I appologize for your unpleasant stay. I am checking with our security company about your security guard complaint. We use industry standard PTACS in our rooms to heat them. All floors except the 3rd and 1st have new PTACS and thermostats. If you would have requested a room change we would have gladly done it. If you would have brought this to our attention we would have had our maitenance man fix it as we have someone on for 12 hrs a day in maintenance.
I will pass along your compliments to our housekeeping staff. We are vey proud of all of our Associates and I know if you would have made other inquiries we would have made your stay a memorable experience (for the right reasons).

canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was supposed to stay here two night, but I only lasted one. I get to the hotel and they give me my room. The guy at the front desk tells me that I might not like it, and I should go and check out the room and come back if I dont. WELL, I get to the floor and its like a major construction zone going on. There are sheets of Drywall in the hallways with dust everywhere. There are workers doing renovations all over the place. I couldnt believe it. So I go back down to the desk and I get another room. I go down this hallway and there is plastic sheets all over the floors and wet paint signs everywhere. Again, workers in the hallway painting everything. To top it all off , the room smelled like stale smoke. Let me be clear. I am a very tolerant person, I can usually put up with a lot of stuff, but this was absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe they have the nerve to charge $150 for these rooms. I really dont know how they sleep at night. They could at least give people a discount for putting up with all this construction going on. Apparently some of the floors have been renovated and I heard they are really nice, but i think its the luck of the dice if you can get one. My recommendation, dont stay here until ALL the renovations are complete. OR at least get them to reduce the rates.
Thanks

Room Tip: If you have to stay here , make sure you get a renovated room. If not, you will be sorry.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
ValhallaThunderBay, Director of Sales at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hello England66,

Yes you are right, we are under construction doing the hallways on the first and third floor. The situation that you described is going to be like that until Dec. 18th. I appologise for the smell of smoke in your room, all of our rooms are non smoking, and we monitor it closely. While we are in construction, we have tried to keep the rooms close to the construction empty, and our front desk staff are to tell guests that come to the hotel without reservations, the situation on the floors. Very soon all of our rooms will be renovated, and we will contiune to provide our guests with the best stay in Thunder Bay.

Thanks, Bill
northern ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Seems like this is the hotel of choice in Thunder Bay, not really sure why but I guess because of its close proximity to the airport.

The rooms are dated(at least on the 3rd floor) that is! Couches in the rooms are uncomfortable, in about half he rooms I've had( I'm here often on business) have unappealing odour's, stained carpets and I've on more then one occasion had to call the front desk so they could come and change he sheets on the bed, as on my day of arrival I jumped into bed and notice that the sheets have odours of perfume from previous occupants.

Restaurants runway 25 very expensive and not good value for the money! I was disappointed as 3 of my group were ill that same night after eating there. However I was fine..... But again not good value for the money.

Timbers ....meh it's nothing special, it's a restaurant.

The staff at the hotel seem very nice, and helpful but I think the hotel needs to have a stronger leadership team and willingness to improve, as if another chain were to build as close to the airport I feel the Valhalla would certainly see and feel a sharp decline in customers.

Bottom line it's an average hotel with average amenities at an inflated price, shop around you may find a better value for your dollar within a 5 minute drive to the airport.

Room Tip: Any other floor hen the third!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ValhallaThunderBay, Director of Sales at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Medicman,

Thank you for your comments. The 3rd floor is being upgraded early in the new year. This will only leave one floor that is not renovated in the hotel. You can always ask for a specific room type when you make your reservation.
I think Runway25 Steaklounge is reasonably priced for the type of restraurant it is. It may be slightly higher than a chain restaurant, but if you consider the type of menu it is, it is a good value. I am sorry your friends were sick. I was sick last week as well.

Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times for work and it really is your best best in Thunder Bay. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and recently refurbished, large flat screen tv etc. They have a turn down service, which is not my thing, but is nice to get an extra bottle of water. The restaurants (yes plural) in the hotel are decent, and for short stays very convenient. Not sure if it's all hotels, but I also like the luggage tags they'll make for you with you business cards. Cute touch. If I had one suggestion, the in room coffee selection is poor. No decaf, no name brand.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Ian,

Thank you for staying with us. I really don't think our hotel is decaying, we do have a few guestroons that are tired, but we are remedying that. Our hallways are all going to be completly renovated as of Dec. 20th, and they look great!
I do appologize for the way you were treated by the front desk. We have a saying in our hotel....NO, NO. That means we do not say no to a guest. THis is not our standard and I will bring your concerns to the Front Desk Manager.

Bill

Been to Valhalla Inn? Share your experiences!