“On the waterfront” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 33 hotels in Thunder Bay
Duluth, Minnesota
“On the waterfront”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent two nights at the Prince Arthur this past weekend. Although it is an old hotel, we enjoyed a spacious room and loved the waterfront location. One can easily walk to the lovely park by the marina which is such a pleasant surprise in this town.

Our two bed room was $105 per night plus tax and includes no breakfast.

Cumberland Street by the hotel is not faring well and offers nothing, however we do suggest a drive or walk up to the Algoma and Bay intersection which is full of interesting shops.

Our biggest suggestion to the management would be to install grab bars in the shower for safety. And for the food service to remove used room service trays from the hallway more frequently.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a lake view room. It is a great view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family had been looking for a pet friendly hotel to stop at on our way back from Alberta to Ottawa. I was pleasantly surprised by the cost of this hotel and my mother actually booked the room for us as a gift as it was our anniversary. When we arrived after about 9 hours on the road I was informed by the front staff that they wouldn't allow us to check in as it was reserved in my name under someone else's credit card. I have done this in the past and just paid a deposit which is returned after inspection of the room on check out. The clerk was very....trying, to say the least, advising me that there was nothing that he could do and that we would have to find another hotel unless we rebooked with our own credit card. My mother ended up calling them and all of a sudden there was a solution. The second gentleman was much more helpful, the rooms were big and the view was wonderful, but the pool was very cold. I guess you get what you pay for......

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and came to town to visit with family and the Prince Arthur provided exactly what we were looking for: a conveniently located hotel providing a comfortable bed and clean room at a very fair price. Greg from the front desk picked us up at the airport and supplied us with many helpful recommendations for activities and restaurants.

Breakfasts in the hotel restaurant were just what we needed to get on with our day: tasty food and hot coffee with service and a smile.

Next time we come to Thunder Bay, we'll stay at the Prince Arthur for the view of the Sleeping Giant, the waterfront park, and the genuine hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I brought our three kids to Thunder Bay for two nights. I had researched other hotels in the area but after arriving in turn was so grateful we picked this spot! It's less than a block to the beautiful waterfront with fountains, park, playground, skatepark, food, harbor tours, etc. The hotel itself is old, yes- but our room was big with refrigerator and coffee maker. Beds were comfortable. We also ended up with discounted room rate by picking up flier at visitor center entering Canada from Minnesota. Ask about 89 dollar room which included hot delicious breakfast!
The indoor pool was a bit chilly but the kids didn't mind. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful too! We are at famed Finnish cafeteria- Hoitos, and were not disappointed! This is also walking distance from hotel! Fort William is only 20 minutes away and Kakabeka Falls less than 30 minute drive!

So, take my word, I did lots of research and was very happy with the location of this hotel for our two day tour of Thunder Bay!

• Stayed August 2013
Uxbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I had to make a last minute booking for (unfortunately) a Memorial Service for a good friend. Thunder Bay was in the middle of the Canadian Lakehead Exhibition, rooms in town were hard to find. My good friends at Prince Arthur Hotel found me a room, all be it a suite which was more than I could afford. They offered me a great rate considering my circumstances.

I had been to TB in March 2011 when my sons played in the Ontario Provincial High School Championships for Curling. They got to stay at PA, I didn't. But this time I did ! It was a tremendous experience. They were able to accommodate my unique requirements. I even got a view of the Sleeping Giant. In the course of 24 hours, I met at least 12 of the staff, including manager Tony Scarcello, The inhouse restaurant/bar (Portside) was excellent !

I'll be back and will definitely use Prince Arthur Hotel as my home base for my next visit.

Room Tip: For a +/- family of 5, book the suite with twin queens, ask for a Lake Superior / Sleeping Giant vie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had a large room overlooking the harbour. The room was clean and relatively tidy. The hotel is within walking distance of some good downtown restaurants. I am, admittedly, a light sleeper and the trains through the night and the gulls at dawn woke me with regularity. Plenty of hall noise until midnight or so. I might have given this hotel a 4 [not their fault that I am a light sleeper], but with the water in the bathroom hooked up backwards...3.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here in the middle of a road trip after it was recommended by the staff at the Terry Fox Memorial.
It is an older hotel, one of the CPR hotels built to support the railway system. We upgraded to the 2 queen suite. Wow, let me tell you this room was huge by modern hotel standards, the room was huge.
We only stayed the one night but it was a very relaxing time.

Room Tip: The suite was huge...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!