“BED BUGS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Landmark Hotel

Landmark Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thunder Bay
Landmark Hotel
You added Landmark Hotel to your Saves list
1010 Dawson Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 5J4, Canada (Formerly Ramada Landmark Inn)   |
Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Fort Frances, Canada
“BED BUGS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Booked room for July 23, 2012. Given room 418. The room was swarming with bed bugs. They were in the sheets, on the night table, counters; EVERYWHERE!!.
Turned on table light and the table was covered with hendreds.
Would have left but had to get up in a few hours. Given different room. No apologies from frontdesk staff, no offer to help move luggage. nothing at all.
Sent email to Thunder ay District Health Unit. Indicated this needed immediate action.
I will never stay here again and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Check any room as soon as you enter it. Look in sheets, tables under lamps, cups, kleenex bos. check...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
17 Thank FrankBruyere

Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is the worst hotel we've ever stayed in, including some very sketchy places overseas. To start with, they have bedbugs. The so-called "bug guy" who inspected our room after our stay is either incompetent or lying to management. We saw a number of bugs on the sheets and pillows when we turned on lights in the middle of the night, which scurried out of sight in classic bedbug style. We spent the night sitting on chairs. We requested a nonsmoking room and it was obvious that it had been smoked in recently. We were locked out of our room and had to walk back and forth to the lobby in the rain trying to get someone to fix the outside electronic lock. For all this we were charged $109. The manager refused to take my call to ask for an adjustment of the charge- highly unprofessional. Do yourself a favor and sleep in your car if you can't find somewhere else to stay!

Room Tip: I'd be very surprised if there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank SC Y

Travelers are raving about these Thunder Bay hotels

Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

First tried over a dozen times to call the 1-800# listed on web site, just rang busy. Finally got local # and called to reserve room for 2 adults and 2 children. Upon arrival in room knew we had made a mistake but it was very late and kids were tired after over 12 hours on road, so we stayed. Big stain on desk chair seat, and box spring of bed, looked like blood. No drain plug for bath tub, hard to bath kids with no bath plug. Called front desk they said they'd bring one right up. Never heard from them, it was late so kids to bed without their bath. But that's okay because there were only 2 towels for 4 people. The bathroom sink took over 4 minutes to drain, and the toilet only completely flushed after several tries. The whole reason we chose this place was the location, but take my advice and drive a bit off the highway to a cleaner hotel in decent repair. I wouldn't exactly call it a dive but it's getting close!!!!!Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
7 Thank Chris F
Thunder Bay, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I am ashamed to say I even stayed here, what a horrible experience, and I can honestly say I would rather sleep in my car in a truck stop then ever come across this hotel again. First off...I got asked eight EIGHT times if i could give out smokes....I don't smoke, then a bunch of kids were trying to get me to go get them alcohol....NO WAY, the noise and the smell, and the service, OH MY, the staff were very rude, and very uncaring, they seemed to not need my business, people were trampling up and down the halls, and a lot of yelling, ALL NIGHT, I got about twenty minutes sleep, I had four drunk people try to gain access into my room, which i was sooo scared to have my car in the parking lot, if four were trying to get in my room, how many tried to get in my car, The hotel staff, obviousley tired of dealing with the people that they allow in their hotels, were less then helpful to come up to my floor to quiet things down, All in all, this was a horriible choice, and never again will i ever walk into the doors of this hotel.

Room Tip: "Do Not Stay Here"
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
7 Thank Betty B
o
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

OKAY!!! something definitely has to be done about the overall service and condition of this hotel. This is not the first time we have stayed in this hotel and I remember yrs ago before all the falling down drunken people inside and out of the premises how nice of a place it was to stay and enjoy with our families. I dont think that they care much about our concerns because they are extremely busy all days of the week with Natives who have their rooms paid through the government for medical appointments etc. I have nothing against that however it is a little scarey pulling up to the front enterance having to walk past people smoking, drunk, or high and little children running around outside the ramp late at night. The staff is very friendly, I can say that! Although I have not always got to the room I requested when I booked in advance. We have also had our rooms paid through due to medical appointments but that does not mean we should be subject to the horrible conditions. On one of our trips we had an over night at the hotel and as it turned out that on our return back 5 days later we were given the same room. Which normally I dont mind BUT when I went to get into bed that evening I noticed a little black button in between the sheets. I looked at my husband and asked him to get me my black blouse (that I wore the day we departed the room 5 days earlier. I had on this blouse while I sat on the bed) It was a DEFINITE match!!!! my button was missing and here it was. The bed sheets were never changed and button was the evidence. Okay, not bad, knowing I was the last one to sleep in that bed but how many before I did??? without the sheets being changed? A couple yrs ago even, the food was not too bad. Now? its awful! Its cold, missing something we ordered or completely wrong! They gave us plastic utensils last time. How do you eat meat with that? The food prices remained the same (was a nice menu) but the quality went way down! I am a smoker as well as my husband but like one other review mentioned, the place reeks of smoke. The noise? WOW is all I can say. I am one to give the benefit of the doubt and have tried a few times more than I should have here. I have only gotten one night of sleep there. I was not feeling good, just got off the highway, very exhausted and needed rest. I layed down and fell asleep around 7pm only to be woken up at 10pm. The noise in the room beside me wasnt overly loud, well not yet! It was too early! I waited until 11pm and the noise stopped only to start back up at 1am..until 430 am. The music in their room was extremely loud, I could here their whole conversation. Obviously had gone downstairs to the bar, came up and continued for hours. LOUD. I called the front desk but by the time the security got up there it was quiet. The second they left it was back at it. I finally banged on the wall and said enough already! Which I dont like to do, you never know around there who is in that room, what condition they are in or what they may do. I called security again. I had to leave by 6am to drive on the highway again and just couldnt believe this. I was completely exhausted. The security came up again, talked to them by name but nothing. Finally the woman ran out of beer and cried herself to sleep. Another time I was sitting in our truck waiting for my husband to come out with our keys from check in. We both witnessed a young girl early twenty maybe running down the ramp right into the parking lot. She was trying to run from security Im thinking. A man caught her just before she smashed her face in on the pavement. Security came and tried to help her up. She could not even stand up, her legs kept falling under her. OMG!!!! soooooooo aweful. And there are kids outside to witness this crap! Another stay. I pulled the sheets down to get into bed. There on our bed was a huge hunk of dark black hair. How disgusting!!! So, we took the blanket from our vehicle and used that. It was late, we were tired and needed to get some sleep, there were no other rooms to move to. In the morning I left a note for the maid about the hair and the sheets not being changed and that this was NOT the first time!!!! Sadly, I marked the sheets and pillow cases to see if they had been changed, They changed them. But that is something we should not have had to do. They will never get out business again or anyone that asks me. This is unhealty and unsanitary. Oh, in the bushes behind the Landmark we also witnessed a few young kids coming from there drinking or whatever they were sniffing. The fire alarm was set off while we were in bed and everyone had to go wait outside in the winter while the fire dept tried find and shut off the alarm that was set by kids. The kids run the hall all hrs of the night. There are constant bangs and fighting in the rooms. Its a scarey place to stay. You do not go out there at night alone. The staff is friendly and helpful but the patrons are mostly drunks that should not be drinking. They are smoking pot in their rooms. Witnessed children leaving a room across from me and a min later the smell of pot coming from across the hall. Do you mean to tell me that security doesnt smell this? Or is it medicinal? Is all the drinking going on around there medicinal? This place deserves to be in a really rough part of town. What a waste of what use to be a very nice hotel. Very sad to see! But like I said, they get the business through First Nations Health so they really dont care about what we feel. PS everytime we have stayed there we are popping reactine (alergy medication) like candy. The carpets are disgusting, the mold in the bathrooms. Some beds have headboards while the one next to it is missing one. I wouldnt even trust if the towells get changed if they look good enough to the maid. GROSE but not unrealistic there! Like I said the staff is great! I checked in once and the keys did not work. It worked enough for me to get into the hotel back enterance but both keys would not work on my room door. I had just carried all my stuff up the stairs and luckily I had my cell phone to call downstairs. (this key thing happens alot there as well) They say its because of magnets in my pocket like a cell phone. That was in my purse. Far from the room key! Thankfully a very nice man was sent up immediately and unlocked my door and gave me a new key. But, it happened again the next afternoon. Its frustrating and very discouraging how this place has gone to the dogs!!! Lots of very nice hotels in Thunder Bay to stay at at very comparable rates. This place should be charging half of what it does with a warning label.

Room Tip: I dont know how you could pick a good room here. It doesnt seem to matter what day of the week it is...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank m m
Steinbach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Reserved here because of location close to our travel route. Lobby full of young people, noisy and some appeared drunk. Would not have stayed here because of this, but after a ten hour drive, tired and arrived after the 4pm cancellation time, we stayed. Our room was in a quiet area, very clean, great shower, beds comfortable, etc. Carpet could be cleaner. Would not stay here again unless appearance of Lobby greatly improves. Too bad, the Landmark could be a great hotel.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Wayne G
Grande Prairie, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

OMG !!!!!!!! Hair in the sheets!!! Native drunks everywhere!! Smoking in hallways! Ceilings in bathroom are rotten and moldly. And as a family of younf children thrown into a room that reeked of smoke and no fan in bathroom full of smoke burns, that matched the dirty bed covers, my 11 yr old slept in day clothes between cover and blanket!!! yuck yuck!!! Oh and dont DARE ask the staff a question or phone the front desk you will be treated like s@#$!!!!! Travelling acroos country hit this city late and went to the nicely advertised add of a waterslide place online...yeah? NO. Place is a dump and has left a bad taste in my mouth for the city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention the mob of natives drunk hanging out front didnt want to leave my vechile out there!!

Room Tip: Ask around, dont follow online advertisements
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family