“Ummmmm, not bad but not great either” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn

You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Comfort Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   660 W. Arthur St., Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 5R8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Douglasville, Georgia
“Ummmmm, not bad but not great either”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I guess for a hotel in Canada it isn't so bad. I didn't have too many choices and since I like staying in choice hotels I decided to stay here. I was in town for three days and it seemed like I was never going to get out of there. This hotel needs a major renovation. The water in my room had already been opened so I walked to the front deck to let the clerk know I didn't open it and I was not paying for it. He had no problem giving me a new bottle to put in my room. The a/c unit was loud so it was either here it all night or burn up. The hotel is right around the corner from the airport, Pizza Hut is across the street, and Tim Horton's is down the street. If I had to go back and there were no other choices I'd stay here; however I'd be willing to pay more for a better hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
cn307, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is from the comments of our guests that we are able to identify any shortcomings and take the necessary steps to improve our services.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to demonstrate our usual high standards of guest services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cambridge, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Three years ago my work booked me into this hotel. It was noisy, so dirty and the Internet would disconnect every 5mins. Much to my surprise did I end up here again without looking at my itinerary close enough.
Traveling as a single woman, I requested a room on the second floor. There's a lot of guys that stay here that like to sit outside and drink. Kind of unsettling. Walking up the stairs to get to my room, I was welcomed with smoke in the air and filthy stairs.
Same issues as before. Nasty hairs about 2 inches long on the fresh towels, in the tub, on the white sheets and around the sink. I can't believe that the cleaner doesn't see all of their hair on the white linens.
Very noisy with people in the halls and yes, the Internet still cuts out. My work took me twice as long to finish in the evening with the Internet cutting out.
Skipping breakfast to be on the safe side.
I stay in hotels about 5 days a month for my job and I have to say that this place is like a frat house. Lessons learned.

• Stayed July 2013
cn307, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
I"m sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent visit to our Comfort Inn. I would have appreciated the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you, while you were our guest.

Sherri Locke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here just on the spur of the last minute. So glad I did!! Great rooms and great price!! Make sure you get a business class room as you will not be disappointed for the price!!

Great service at the front desk and a lot of laughs with Terry, the front desk manager. Easy to see where this place gets its fantastic personality.

• Stayed June 2013
cn307, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! I'm happy to hear that we provided the service you enjoyed, and we hope to welcome you back.
Sudbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a last minute decision because of rainy weather. There was construction in the parking lot but we were still able to find room for our car + tent trailer. Busy area but was fairly quiet. Rooms were typical. Was not fun lugging suitcases up the stairs because there is no elevator. Breakfast was acceptable.

• Stayed May 2013
cn307, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for yor comments. I am pleased to advise you that the construction in the site next to our property has now been completed and our parking area is now fully accessible. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Comfort Inn. Should you ever need assistance with luggage, our Front Desk staff are happy to help.
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We rolled into Thunder Bay on our motorcycles at about 10 PM and this was the 1st place we saw to stay. Staff very friendly. We had ground floor rooms and parked our bikes right outside the room which was great. Rooms very small, beds comfortable, OK breakfast, internet very slow. Probably would not stay here again, however. Thought the rooms were a bit on the pricey side for what we got.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I went with the most economical of the few options in town, and regretted my choice when I saw my room - it was on the ground floor, facing a parking lot with a high volume of mostly male passers-by peering in and occasionally waving at me as I tried to work. It was annoying during the daylight hours and became unsettling as evening fell. I had trouble sleeping because I felt like every guy in Thunder Bay knew there was a girl staying there alone. My neighbours on either side returned late to their rooms a little loud and rowdy. I even called the front desk to inquire about any security measures and was told by a sweet but very young-sounding girl that there were two staff on duty (including her) but no other security measures at all. I hid my valuables under the bed and tried to sleep - but then was kept awake all night long by an irritating buzzing sound that stopped and started continuously until morning. I think it was a faulty light.

I spoke to the assistant manager about all this when I checked out the next day. I was initially a little underwhelmed with what I felt was an unsympathetic response but appreciated her reply to an email I later wrote to the hotel. Still, I can't recommend this hotel to a girl travelling alone because I just didn't feel safe there. Not sure if the noise issue has been sorted out but I'd recommend checking before staying here.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor! I had a sleepless night because of an irritating buzzing sound outs...