“Sushi heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
“Sushi heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I feel like in a river somewhere, some tuna is saying "When it's my time, just serve me up at Umai" it's that good. I have the menu memorized we order from there all the time. Sushi is my treat food. I get good grades, sushi, I keep up my excise for a month, sushi, It's my birthday, sushi. If you can't tell, sushi is my favourite food. I've had it in Chicago, Toronto, and even Vancouver, and Umai is still hands down my favourite. The sashimi is always a great portion, the dynamite roll is heaven on my tongue. I always get the lunch combo of 2 maki, which are Dynamite and salmon, and order salmon sashimi on the side.
Also best miso soup in town. Was better when they opened, but still amazing, the staff is always super helpful and nice, and their specialty rolls are great. My birthday is in 2 months and I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I have been loyal to this restaurant for years, I have done my sushi research on how to tell good fish from bad, and they always come up on top. And to the guy who got frozen fish, Iced tuna is (or at least was) one of their items, so you sure that wasn't what you ordered?
But anyways, if you want good sushi, go to Umai, It is perfectly priced if you ask me, because I've found places that cost a lot more and do a lot worse.
Also, on my last birthday, my mom not so subtly hinted that it was my birthday, and they gave me a free ginger ice cream! LOVE!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Best sashimi in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've been to every sushi place in town and Umai, by far has the best, freshest cuts of sashimi. Their food is prepared with pride and the wait staff are friendly and prompt.

Visited January 2013
“Enduring quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I regularly pick up and take out as well as dine-in. The sushi is always fresh, with good size portions of the sashimi. The ambiance in the restaurant is what makes it a perfect getaway. My first choice locally

Visited November 2012
Sudbury, Canada
“Poor service but food was decent”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I went here with some colleagues and our order had a number of errors. Once the order was fixed (people offered to eat things they didn't order) they did not bring me part of my meal until almost everyone else was done eating. After I told the waitress that there was an error, she walked away and then came back and said "Actually, I remember asking you if you wanted that and you said no". I actually had said yes, so I was very suprised that she argued with me. She gave me the thing I wanted and said there wouldn't be a charge for it, but I didn't get it until we were ready to leave.

We all got up to leave, then she brought us the oranges, so we had to sit back down. After this, we all got up to pay as we hadn;t yet received our bills and then she came and we had to sit down yet again. When we got our bills, they had many mistakes and she had charged me for the item she said she wouldn't.

I complain about the servuce, but the food was decent. It is just that the service was so awful that it left a lot to be desired.

It was very disorganized and that made it a not-so-good experience.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sudbury, Canada
“Not used to be what it was!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Well we love the ambience here but service has slightly worsened, and the rolls are falling apart at times, but the usually free served oranges for dessert are replaced by mandarins instead... Otherwise their flavoured sushis are well known and well liked around here but for me the raw and unflavoured taste of the sushi ingredients are what defines what Japanese food is about, hence this is not the place for me, except their kalbi dish is the best in Sudbury!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere