“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Sudbury
Portalban (Switzerland)
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I spent 4 nights in Holiday Inn Sudbury. Key advantage is its location on Regent St., one of the major streets of the city accessing interesting places of Sudbury and neighborhoods. Rooms are old looking with outdated engravings and very soft beds (too soft in my view, I felt like sleeping in a marshmallow). Long and complicated ways lead to an insufficient number of elevators for reaching the numerous rooms on different floors. The dominant colors are brown, orange and yellowish green not giving a fresh feeling. Wifi was free but did not function well (access code had to be changed daily) and slow. No complimentary newspapers or breakfasts, but a small fridge was available. Staff was friendly when available: they seemed to be often on the phone and unavailable.
The Science North (building and exhibit) is worth a visit, as is the Dynamic Earth with its popular big Nickel coin (picture attached with the giant chimney in the background). If you happen to have a car, drive to Killarney (see picture), its worth a visit and watch for the rock colors along road 637. I made a series of "non figurative" close-up pictures thanks to these rocks (two are attached).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Ann Arbor MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel over this past weekend for one evening. The staff was nice and cordial, and whereas the place is a bit worn, it seems clean.
Just as we left the hotel, I noticed some bites on my legs, but brushed it off as perhaps some mosquitoes when we'd stopped for dinner in one of the inlets the prior evening. By the time we got to Sault Ste Marie, the bites were becoming raised and by the following day, I had bright red bites all down the front and back of my legs. A doctor in Michigan confirmed that they were bed bug bites.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Tampere
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I must agree with an earlier review of this hotel. The staff are generally friendly and helpful, but this is a hotel in need to a makeover. the wall paper is coming off the walls on some joints in the hall ways, and the carpets are really looking old, have the odd stain, and generally look grubby.
I had a Business Room, the room was cleaned well each day, but the carpets still looked grubby, and yes there is a sour or mold smell in the bathroom, but I find this in many hotels that have shower curtains. But in this case it might even be in the walls? Although you cant smell it in the rest of the room, the smell is quite off putting in the bathroom. The internet connection is free, and does not work well at all, the download speed was fine, but for some reason could not send emails etc, so frustrating. I did try using an Ethernet cable, the result was even worse. Breakfast were disappointing as they only had buffet on certain days and that was also a limited selection, no fresh fruit for example in the buffet. Will look to stay at a different hotel for my next visit to Sudbury

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

One thing that I have learned from being on the road for work and have stayed at many hotels is this- the hotel can be new and updated and you have that feeling of being pampered, but if the customer service is deficient and you have paid for a luxury accomodation. You will leave not only unhappy but feel you didnt get good value for your money. Whereas, knowing that you're going into an "okay" hotel, look at the services offered, level of cleanliness and customer service. No one or no place is perfect. However, if you are dissatisfied with something, the staff here will bend over backwards to fix it. Customer service is excellent here despite some downfalls elsewhere in this hotel. I was unhappy with the service in the main dining room and informed the front desk staff about it. They immediately acted on my complaint and apologized for the staff in the dining room. I may have considered going elsewhere the next time I am in town but as a result of the Manager- Gina Aoude, I will be sure to return and give the hotel another chance.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the main building is convenient to the parking lot. I did not have any prob...
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hotel needs to be updated. Stayed with my family recently.

The king bed was like a V. My wife both ended-up in the middle, no matter what. Also - they did have another choice of pillows (I was allergic to the one's they had, and made a point of calling the front desk to inquire).

Housekeeping did a fine job, but, was relentless one of the mornings there. We were travelling with a 4 month old baby, and they must have knocked 3 times in 10 minutes (when we told them we were leaving in the next 15). Very annoying when trying to pack up your child.

I am not normally one to complain, but, I have stayed at much better Holiday Inn's. There is some much needed improvement and updating needed for this hotel.

Next time I am in Sudbury, I will be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: the rooms with the door to the outside are chilly in the wintertime (we put a towel at the bottom of...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sudbury, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear markD78,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This hotel was okay, nothing special. My room was in the back, almost seemed like an addition of sorts. It was a good walk from the lobby. The hotel lay-out is very confusing and you can get lost very easily if your not paying attention.
The staff at the hotel were excellent. From check-in to check out I found them all (Front Desk, Cleaning, Restaruant) to be very attentive, with an objective to please.
The rooms are okay. Bed was comfortable, and there was good space. The blackout curtain in my room had holes in it, so light from the parking lot came through, as did the morning sun. The thing I remember the most is that my room smelled a little bit. The closest thing I could compare it to would be that it smelled like they may have washed the bathroom floor with a dirty mop.

The pro's of the hotel are that the staff are excellent and it's nice to have an onsite restaurant. Also the location is great as the hotel is right off the 400 and is really close to "Tommy's Not Here" (ask the front desk staff where to get the best Steak in town and they will send you to Tommy's!) The cons could be that it is a bit out dated, and if you were in the "addition" you could get lost in the labrynth ...so bring a snack just in case!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012 via mobile

Its your average Holiday Inn with friendly staff. Rooms were nice and staff were friendly.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Sudbury? Share your experiences!