“Put me in a smoking room AGAIN!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #1 of 32 hotels in Sudbury
Winnipeg, Canada
“Put me in a smoking room AGAIN!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'm a non-smoker with a non-smoking reservation and profile and they checked me into a smoking room again (they've done this before) and did not have any other availability. Had to search for another room in Sudbury and ended up at another horrible motel with no business services or fitness area (only thing available). Last year this same hotel told me (upon my midnight arrival with a reservation) that they gave my room away. I've given this place numerous chances and I'm done. Business trip ruined. Thanks Homewood Sudbury! You rock.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Makaluku,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. I apologize that your travel agent keeps booking you a smoking room at our hotel instead of a preferred non smoking room. As can be imagined with a busy hotel such as ours, sometimes we are unable to change a reservation to non smoking upon check in as they are all occupied. I suggest that if in the future you do decide to reserve again with us that you instruct your travel agent that if there is only a smoking room available that another hotel be reserved that can meet your non smoking needs.

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was our third choice for a hotel in Sudbury--both Marriott properties were fully booked. Unfortunately, out stay was marred by our check-in experience at the front desk. The teenage desk clerk was handling an elaborate multi-room reservation for a few weeks hence, but never once looked up to acknowledge us waiting, or to greet us, or to say she'd be with us in a minute. When at last our turn came, her first words were, "Are you checking in?"
When we asked her how much longer food was being served, she replied that she didn't know, and that we'd have to go and look, gesturing towards the lounge. As it turned out, the cut-off was 7:30 PM and we were about 15 minutes too late (that information should be displayed on the hotel website).
In fairness, in contrast to the sullenness that greeted us on arrival, the person who checked us out in the morning was enthusiastic, friendly, and helpful. When will hotels learn that that initial encounter on arrival, especially after ten hours of driving, is crucial to their reputation?
The other deficiency--laughable, though annoying for male guests--is that the toilet seat in our room would not stay upright. I left a note in the suite drawing attention to this problem, but when the manager contacted me for feedback after departure, she had not yet received it. I had mentioned the note in my reply to her but heard nothing more by way of followup. Again, an obvious gap in customer service.
Though everything else about Homewood Suites was all that it should have been, these negatives linger in my mind.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear wjames5,

I did receive your email response which stated "Dear Kristina, I left a brief note in the room. Did you receive it? Bill James" I spoke with our Executive Housekeeper to check with the room attendant if any notes had been left. Unfortunately, a note was not passed onto myself.

Thank you for your comment about the lack of attention you received from the Guest Service Agent. I will be sharing your comments at our daily huddle tomorrow to highlight how a quick acknowlegement would have made all the difference. I completely agree with you that the initial contact at the hotel sets the tone for the whole stay and that is something that I try to instill in my team members.

We would love to have another chance to prove to you our services and facilities can meet and exceed your expectations. Please contact me directly to discuss a return stay at kristina.pardaens@hilton.com.

If I can provide any additional information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is our second return to this hotel in a year to visit family in Sudbury. Our group included 2 seniors, 5 young adults and 2 newborns in 5 rooms. The rooms were clean, comfortable, spacious and met all our needs for this short visit. Overall great value. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Chenger,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you are a repeat Homewood Guest.

northern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently had the occasion to stay at the Homewood Suites in Sudbury. The hotel is bright and cheery, well kept and most importantly clean, which imho is a must when I travel. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that both breakfast and dinner were included in the price, which you don't see very often.

The room was quite large....there was a fridge, counter top stove, dishwasher, and all the kitchen stuff you need if you want to cook. There was a nice little sitting area with a small sofa, a desk for your computer (with free internet service) and a King bed. The bed linens, pillows and drapes appeared to be fairly new, and the bed was quite comfortable. There was a vanity area separate from the shower room, which was a nice touch. There was also a large closet and inside the closet there was a luggage stand - which oddly enough so many hotels don't have, so I appreciated that. The front desk attendant was friendly and professional when we checked in and gave us all the details about the hotel. It was obvious when the hotel was designed that it was well thought out and it showed. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper I would mention this when checking it or booking your room as you can hea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear northerndecorator,

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of the ammenities that the Homewood Sudbury provides.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a family weekend getaway. The hotel was clean and well kept but our room needed vacuuming. The desk clerk took care of this immediately and gave us a gift card for our trouble. Breakfast was very good. Good value for money. Friendly staff. Will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

GTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel suites are a good size, clean and well-appointed. The staff were friendly and responsive. Great pool for the kids. Not too big, so got a little busy, but well-maintained. Fantastic complimentary breakfast - a nice surprise. Came with hot food items and plenty of food no matter when you ate. Hotel easy to find off of highway and close to local restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Alison S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. I am so glad to hear that you were able to take advantage our pool and free hot breakfast. It's a great way to start your day!

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Clean spacious rooms. Very comfortable beds. Access to highway.

Excellent value for the price. The breakfast and dinner specials are very tasty and a nice touch, for being included in the price of your stay.

Staff is well groomed and very friendly.

Room Tip: Studio suites are very comfortable for the business traveller. Private and ample room to work and r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear hockleyhussy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. We look forward to having you stay with us again. If we can provide any additional information or assist with future reservations, do not hesitate to contact me.

Kristina Pardaens

Been to Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario? Share your experiences!