“Great hotel for families, highly recommended!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Sudbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Great hotel for families, highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed at the Hampton while taking a weekend trip to visit the Sudbury science centres. This was my first time staying overnight in Sudbury so I spent a lot of time reading the reviews and choosing which hotel to stay at - I was looking for a clean place with a swimming pool and a free breakfast. The Hampton was having a weekend sale and had everything I was looking for, so I booked for two nights and from the moment we checked in, I knew we had made the right choice! There was complimentary coffee in the lobby (medium, dark, decaf, also hot water for the tea and hot chocolate packets) which was a great perk being able to grab a free coffee on the way in and out of the hotel each day. The rooms are well-furnished, our room had two comfortable queen beds, plenty of pillows, a dresser, night stand, desk with HS Internet, and two sets of drapes (sheer and blackout). The bathroom was bright and spacious, lots of towels. Our room was on the 4th of 5 floors (the 5th floor was reserved for a wedding party) and gave a view of some of the local restaurants and shopping centres. The swimming pool was good for a family swim with young children, ranging from 3 - 5 feet depth. During our stay we used the pool three times: twice we shared with another family, once we had it all to ourselves. Two small complaints about the pool: 1) by evening the towels at the poolside had run out and we had to ask the front desk to replenish, and 2) there was no separate shower/change area for the pool like at other hotels I've visited; the shower was just on a wall on the deck at poolside. There was a complimentary breakfast buffet that was one of the best I've had at a hotel - three hot items that rotate daily (Sunday morning was sausage patties, scrambled eggs with ham and cheese, and seasoned home fries; Monday morning was crisp bacon, western omelette, and baked beans). Also offered is make-your-own waffles (batter and waffle iron provided), yogurt, cereal selection, fresh fruit and mixed fruit salad, bagels, muffins, milk, coffee, and a variety of juices. One of the other reviewers here commented that the breakfast tasted processed, so maybe it's improved since then because I just thought it tasted flavourful! (The only item I did not enjoy much was the mixed fruit salad, it looked great, but didn't taste very good). The breakfast was very filling and kept us going so that we only had to buy a very light lunch at the science centres and could splurge on nice dinners at the nearby family restaurants (East Side Mario's across the street was great!) The cleaning staff was very friendly, the front desk was average, and the breakfast room staff were very efficient at keeping everything stocked up - even with the huge wedding crowd on Sunday morning. The breakfast room itself is very nicely decorated, with a variety of seating options, and a TV. My biggest complaint is that they do not have a mini-fridge in the rooms. We had brought back some leftover pizza from the nearby Pizza Hut and had to keep it chilled on an ice tray from the ice machine because our room did not have a fridge. The complaints are minor though, and overall, I had a great stay and would recommend to others. The rate was reasonable, and the free breakfast and 24-hour coffee bar helped us to save money on our trip as well.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Barrie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Our room was not ready by 4:30 check in. The front desk staff was curt and not helpful. We had to go for an early supper, even though our baby needed a nap. The pool was too deep in the shallow end for our 5 year old to stand by himself. The windows in our room were caked with scum and finger prints. The disappointments just kept accumulating. We would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

This is probably one of the best hotels in Sudbury and if you had asked me prior to our check-out, I would've said it was the number one hotel. The room was great, cleaning staff was awesome & helpful and while the pool was cold and a little dirty (lots of hair on the deck), I would still say it was okay. However, when I went to check out, the lady there was SO unfriendly that it just left a bad taste in my mouth. There was no asking "how was your stay" or even any small talk at all. I really expect a lot more from the Hampton when their service is normally so great. I thought the Homewood & Hampton were pretty much interchangeable but I think I would go back to the Homewood next time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Manitoulin Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

The price was more than we normally would pay for a room, but we received a discount due to a "January Sale" so we thought we would try it out. I cannot think of one fault - our expectations were exceeded in every regard. Highlights include the room layout and decor with a desk, king bed and a jacuzzi - great after our challenging day of cross country skiing. A leisurely self serve breakfast in the morning was highly enjoyable with lots of quality food. I appreciated the quiet nights sleep.

My wife and I discussed squatting there and never leaving, but we had to get back to our cats as they would run out of food in a few days.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Sault Ste. Marie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

We stayed at the Hampton on a weekend trip to Sudbury. I was disappointed to find that they do not provide a fridge or microwave, which made things hard for as, as we had our 5-month old daughter with us. Our room was clean, the decor was fine, and the sheets were nice...but quite frankly, we could have had all of those things at the Super-8 for half the cost. Also...the bathroom tissue was something akin to sandpaper, which is a bit disappointing in a hotel that calls itself upscale. Lastly, the televeision was very small...not what we've been used to with hotels in this price range.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I was traveling through and stayed at the Hampton Inn and suites in Sudbury. The hotel was very new at the time, very clean and very modern. It was a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I was in Sudbury for work for a few days in May, and this hotel was perfect. Check-in service was quick and efficient, and most importantly, the staff were very polite. The room was fantastic - the bed was super comfy and the bathroom was immaculate (who likes a dirty bathroom!?!?). Toiletries were surprisingly nice - brand is Purity Basics.

Breakfast was included in my rate and was satisfying (includes hot items). Coffee and breakfast-to-go was a bonus. Wish I had known about the "breakfast-in-a-bag" before my last day there!

For dinner, go to "Respect is Burning." It was recommended by other tripadvisors and I also highly recommend it. If you're in the mood for fast food, go to Deluxe Hamburgers. Chicken burger with gravy is good.

Happy travels!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Sudbury? Share your experiences!