“Wonderful Atmoshpere But Over-Priced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 111 Restaurants in Stratford
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful Atmoshpere But Over-Priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband reported that the PEI clams we the best he's had; but take a pass on the mushroom risotto that I ordered..pretty bland. The service was exemplary and the church was a unique place to eat; music was great too. But all-in-all it was far too expensive an experience. Pass it up and go to Fellini's instead

Visited September 2012

Windsor, Canada
“What an atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We dined at The Belfry for our wedding anniversary, as The Church was closed due to an outside catering. We absolutely loved where we sat, overlooking the church. We ordered off the prix fixe menu. My husband and I shared two appetizers - the curried carrot soup and the chicken liver wurst with fig, which were delicious! We then shared two entrees - the smoked pork T-bone and the lobster linguine - which were good. The T-bone was a huge portion. The lobster was delicious, but the linguine needed a bit of salt and pepper. We shared two excellent desserts - the pavlova and the chocolate bacon terrine. Both superb! The price was reasonable for fine dining - we knew how much we were planning to spend before entering. The service was quick - we were out in 1.5 hours, and had plenty of time to walk around before our evening show started. It was a great experience overall.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Verona, ON
“Another fine meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We eat here every time we go to Stratford. We have never been disappointed, and were not this time. We started with a lovely lobster bisque, then had the 10 ounce New York Striploin with oyster and chanterelle mushrooms, fennel and potatoe pure, and green beans. The steak was cooked to perfection, and melted in the mouth. It was a large steak, so I only ate a little of the fennel and potato pure, but it was also delicious. We have eaten in both the restaurant and The Belfry, and have never been anything but delighted. The Church has an extensive menu, and offer several gluten-free options, which is of concern to us. The staff are thorough about the gluten-free issues, even coming to ask if we could have bread at the table for the non-celiac diner. The service was, as always, excellent, and we were finished and out in plenty of time for the theatre.

Visited August 2012
“A good, but overpriced meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We ate in the Belfry at the Church restaurant and had a decent, although overpriced meal. I ordered the mushroom risotto and it was good. I was disappointed that more vegetables weren't included to round out the meal. My husband had sirloin steak and it was good. Our service was very good (water glasses were regularly filled, the waitstaff cleared plates regularly and replenished breads.) We probably wouldn't make an effort to eat at this restaurant again because of other more affordable, or more memorable restaurants to try out in Stratford.

Visited August 2012
Richmond Hill, Canada
“the chef has to Go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

aug 18 2012.one word horrendous . the chef if one can actually call him that, has no idea what to do with food. Bland, tastless, and worst of all poor quality. the mussles that were served to me tasted "weird" and that was not because of any seasoning it was due to the fact that they could not have been fresh!...thank goodness the majority were shut . i grabbed bread which i have not eaten for months to just get he taste out of my mouth. to add insult to injury the steak i ordered was 10 oz of Tasteless I added salt and pepper but that did not help the poor quality of the meat. The mushrooms which could have tasted good if the chef left them alone were drowned in some overly sweet sauce or jus as they called it. what a great disappointment!
on a positive note our server was attentive and the mgr did take my portion of the meal out of the bill. i blame myself for not reading the reviews post 2005. It seems most diners had similar experiences .
My advice is fire the cook pronto he will ruin your establishment.

• Visited August 2012