“The Festival is back on track!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Stratford
More attraction details
Owner description: Stratford Festival, North America's largest repertory theatre festival, features plays by Shakespeare and other top playwrights each season in Stratford, Ontario, Canada.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
44 attraction reviews
“The Festival is back on track!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was a supporting member of the Festival for 18 years until Des McAnuff became the Artistic Director 4 years ago. The quality of everything fell badly and fast. I stopped attending. Antoni Cimolino is now at the head and judging by the 5 shows I saw this season, the old magic is back. The shows are spectacular, the actors and house staff all seem to be having so much fun. This is a great way to see Broadway caliber theatre without paying Broadway prices.

Visited September 2013

Ancaster, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Best season in years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

What a wonderful season. We saw 7 plays, several of which were at the Festival Theatre. Fiddler on the Roof was my favourite play this year - truly a wonderful production with unforgettable acting. There is nothing like Stratford.

Pender Island, Canada
28 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Productions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We saw two theatre productions, and both were fabulous. They were "Romeo and Juliet" and "Tommy". We will return to Stratford the next time we are in southern Ontario.

Visited September 2013
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Great Performance of Shakespeare the Merchant of Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Managed to avoid a student performance and the few students that were there actually seemed interested in the play and understood theatre etiquette (and we were not seated near them) so for us it was a great performance experienced without distractions.

Kenmore
“Fiddler on the Roof”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The play was very enjoyable, but...

I am probably one of the first theatre-goers to be bothered by distractions such as cell phone use, texting, etc., but I feel what happened to me during this performance was unfair.

My husband and I both loved the movie Fiddler on the Roof and during 31 years of marriage he would jokingly sing the lyrics to, "Do you love me?" We could wait to see it live.

During the performance last week, I had a slight tickle in my throat that I was sure a sip of water would correct before my favorite scene and felt my coughing might bother someone. We were in aisle seats in the back row next to the exit so I thought I would discreetly get a quick sip of water and return to enjoy our song. I got my water and was stopped by staff, stating I needed to wait until a light came on indicating when I could return. I understood, thinking that would not be too long. The staff person was overly patronizing and condescending, but I tried to be cooperative. Suddenly, she said, "Ooops, we missed the light. It came on, but now it is off again, so now you will have to wait until it comes on again". I was upset that I didn't know what this light looked like, it was her mistake, not mine, but she made me wait until the next act and I missed my favorite part of the story! I was FURIOUS after spending the cost of our tickets, both of us taking 2 days off work and driving 240 miles round trip and paying for a hotel. The woman was ridiculously patronizing and unsympathetic to having missed HER cue to allow me in. My husband was just as disappointed as I, stating he couldn't enjoy it, not knowing what happened to me.

We will never go back to Stratford again due to this experience. It was so very unfair.