“Highest Standards” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The (Old) Prune, Stratford, Ontario is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 110 restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Nile Street
Description: Contemporary Canadian cuisine under the creative guidance of Executive Chef Bryan Steele and Chef de Cuisine Ryan O'Donnell celebrates the bounty of local producers and growers. Innovation and creativity explores world cuisines while the classics are presented in new and sophisticated ways to create an uplifting and memorable dining experience. The wine program showcases boutique labels from both local and international growers, and our front-of-house team offers elevated service in a casually elegant style. We pride ourselves on every guest feeling welcomed and fulfilled long after their dining adventure.
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Highest Standards”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If we are to be regulars at any restaurant, it must meet our standards in three areas, namely, food, service and location. The Prune satisfies all three very well. The food is of the highest quality and, on our most recent visit, the Asian-influenced, prix fixe menu was outstanding. The servers are efficient and attentive and the maître d’, Peter, was very helpful and informative. Finally, The Prune is located in the heart of Stratford, within easy walking distance to all Stratford theatres. We will keep coming to The Prune as long as it continues to maintain these high standards.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Victoria Harbour, Canada
“Pretentious joke”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Angry with myself for not speaking up and pointing out what a joke their poorly prepared and served meal was. Three of the worst courses I've ever had put before me. Not wanting to embarrass my spouse I held my tongue. I left the restaurant still very unhappy hungry angry and one hundred and eighty dollars lighter. ( could have had a family gathering with everyone fed well for that price) . Give this place a pass.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lethbridge, Canada
“Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I really disliked my meal. Here’s why. Imagine my surprise when, after eating one and half of four ravioli, I discovered that they were supposed to be hot, not ice cold. Oops. Pre-made. Microwaved? Although I ordered lamb shank, if I had tasted it with my eyes closed, I would not have been able to discern its identity. The potatoes “gratinée” were in a kind of soupy sauce, the flavor of which was not definable. The food might have been improvable had there been salt and pepper on the table. Beware of restaurants where the chef thinks he knows your tastes better than you do. The berries in the cold dessert were not cold. Was it “chef’s bad night? Not for $75.00 it wasn’t. Dreadful food, overpriced and, I fear, overrated. The service wasn’t great either.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
lansing
“Always a great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We don't get a chance to stop in at the The (Old) Prune every time we are in Stratford, but when we do it's always a great experience. The menu and the wine list is outstanding. The service is always top notch and they know how to move through the meal to make sure making showtime isn't a problem.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Detroit
“The Prune did not disappoint!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

After coming to Stratford for decades, we finally had the opportunity to visit the Prune. Generally we are squeezing dinner in between a matinee and evening performance so never felt we had the time necessary to enjoy the prix fixe 3 course menu. This year we arrived in early afternoon and had a 5:15 pm dinner reservation. We were done in plenty of time to walk to the Tom Patterson for the 8:00 pm curtain.

Our family of four opted for the regular prix fixe menu. I opted for the $85 4 courses, because I couldn't choose between two of the appetizers, and our vegetarian son had the $59 veggie menu.

I am frankly puzzled by some of the recent negative reviews that I read. Everything we had was excellent. The pea soup appetizer was a particular highlight, very light and flavorful. The small taste of lobster salad on a house made cracker served on the side was exquisite. The veal cheek main course was one of the best dishes I have ever had. The chicken liver mousse appetizer was big enough for the whole table to share. The desserts were all excellent.

The only constructive criticism I will give is that the vegetarian entree is not quite large enough, and is short on protein. Next time we will call ahead and request a special dish. The vegetarian in our group, while not a vegan, does not eat cheese, so couldn't eat the mozzarella on the salad. The zucchini main course was interesting and beautifully presented with a creative cheese filled squash blossom garnish. Hardly the equivalent of "stuffed zucchini boats from the 1970's" as described in another guest's review. Good attempt. However, the portion was very meager.

Service was excellent, very attentive. Was dinner slow paced? Yes. This is what's known as a slow food dining experience, and I mean that as a positive. However, we were never short on service. The staff came by frequently to check on things, refill water (filtered, an improvement on the city water), etc. they also were cognizant of our theater time.

The setting is beautiful, especially the back room that is lined with windows on one side and overlooks a small back patio and garden. The restaurant is in a great location for walking to the Avon, Studio or Tom Patterson theaters. And most importantly has ample parking so we were able to leave our car.

We will be back next year.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere